Ares Games

Thread: Will the real Weber stand up, please!

Default Will the real Weber stand up, please!

I just got my 'Weber' from the latest releases.

The WoW release was a 'Ludwig Weber' of Jasta 84. This release was supposedly a 'Rudolf Weber' of the Austro-Hungarian KuK. This is the blurb from the Ares website:

"The ace Rudolf Weber had a record of 6 victories, commanding the Flik 102G in early 1918. He was killed returning home in a captured automobile by volunteer at a roadside checkpoint in Styria, Austria."

...even though the plane is an Albatros DVa that looks remarkably like the Albatros DVa for Ludwig Weber in the WoW release. I haven't seen anything about the KuK flying Albatros DVa either.

So I open the package and the card reads:

Ltn Rudolf Weber of Jasta 84, Luftstreitskräfte and not the advertised ace, Rudolf Weber, of the KuK and Flik 102G.

Now, who in the world is Rudolf Weber of Jasta 84 and what is he doing in Ludwig Weber's Albatros?

Rather poor research or design, Ares. Sort of seems like the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

I was going to say that I couldn't find anything on Ludwig Weber, but then I did find this interesting mention of him.

The aerodrome website does have Rudolf Weber serving with Austria, but no mention of him flying an Albatros D.Va
    Rudolf Weber

A separate search later found this. also on the aerodrome site:
    Ludwig Weber

It appears Ares got their Webers muxed ip.
    Perhaps Andrea can verify.

Interesting points, I also have both planes and was wondering the same thing

Here is the answer posted by Ares :

« The error was done on the airplane card, using Rudolf instead of Ludwig (currently investigating - probably when compiling the data sheet of the plane).
    Hence, the error moved on to the marketing materials, as the editors investigated Rudolf Weber, and wrote the text on the product sheet and other web information based on the wrong pilot name.
    Essentially - everything on the card and model is correct, except the pilot's first name.
    We'll correct the information on our website, and correct the card in future reprints. »

Andrea’s answer :
    « The plane is flown by Lt. Weber of Jasta 84, German.
    Here a profile from Squadron Signal 46:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/13/db...ee52f088d6.jpg
    Here one from Delta Decals:
    http://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/...lta-german.htm
    The mistake can be in the first name of the pilot, that is uncertain. It could be Ludwig:
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...t=19070&page=2
    For sure, it's not the Austrian Rudolf Weber. »

Name:  AA77E85B-D9E9-468C-A8E5-873AC15D48D0.jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  73.6 KB
    Last edited by monse; 10-15-2019 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Here is the answer posted by Ares :

«The error was done on the airplane card, using Rudolf instead of Ludwig (currently investigating - probably when compiling the data sheet of the plane).
    Hence, the error moved on to the marketing materials, as the editors investigated Rudolf Weber, and wrote the text on the product sheet and other web information based on the wrong pilot name.
    Essentially - everything on the card and model is correct, except the pilot's first name.
    We'll correct the information on our website, and correct the card in future reprints
    It’s what I expected - that the intention was to do a reprint of the WoW Ludwig W. plane but that web got confused with Rudolf W. no doubt that there’s more info available for Rudolf was a factor - although not about the planes he flew (at least not on internet).

So Ludwig it is - or his identical twin brother, Rudolf, who’s not to be confused with the Austrian Rudolf.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    .... or his identical twin brother, Rudolf, who’s not to be confused with the Austrian Rudolf.
    I think I will go with the 'twin' concept since they didn't give us an Austrian aircraft.

Let's hope he doesn't become Australian in the correction ....

Would it not be possible for Ares to issue a digital overlay for the airplane card which could be printed out and pasted over the existing card?

If you ask Mike (OldGuy59), he might produce a picture of a correct aeroplane card for you or someone with the original Nexus model could send you a scan of that card.

So, we are talking about the D.V that was included in the Tripods & Triplanes Kickstarter?

I wasn't even going to open the boxes of these planes, planning on using them as prizes in demo game at conventions I attend. So, I haven't even looked at the planes, and certainly hadn't seen the cards.

Anyone have a scan of the card at 600dpi?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I have the card, OldGuy, now if I can just get the scanner to work correctly...

ETA:
    OK, I seem to have gotten it in the moderation queue in the files section, World War I, Original Game Artwork
    Last edited by zenlizard; 11-27-2019 at 06:33.

Similar Missions

1. STAND BY STAND BY WMMS 2017
    By Maverick in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-13-2017, 15:20
  2. Will the real Lothar Von Richthofen stand up!
    By andron234 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 05:00
  3. Weber & Jentsch D.Va's
    By Ed2 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 01:16
  4. Will the real Red Baron please stand up.
    By Naharaht in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 20:55
  5. Albatros D Va - Weber
    By dentarthurdent in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 16:53