Ares Games

Thread: Two rules clarifications

Default Two rules clarifications

Two situations arose last night that we could use some clarification on.

#1. Todd received a gun jam card. On the second maneuver after the jam, he received a pilot wounded card which causes gun jams to last 4 maneuvers rather than 3. Does the pilot wounded extend the current gun jam or future gun jams? We interpreted the rule as applying to future gun jams.

#2. An airplane is on fire so for the next three turns it cannot plan a straight maneuver. Each turn, after the planning phase, the pilot draws an A damage card and removes one fire token. So on the third turn, must the pilot plan no straights for that turn, or can he plan a straight maneuver because the fire will be out?

You input is appreciated.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

#1, I think you played correct.

#2, The fire damage card is taken after all plotting, so even though you will be removing the last fire token you still cannot plan any straights. You are on fire in the plotting phase
    so no straights on the final fire turn.

#1, I think you played correct.

#2, The fire damage card is taken after all plotting, so even though you will be removing the last fire token you still cannot plan any straights. You are on fire in the plotting phase
    so no straights on the final fire turn.
    I agree with this.

I extend the gun jam Robert, you wouldn't ignore the effects of the wound if you were shooting in the next phase so why ignore it in relation to a jam ?

"He is wise who watches"

I extend the gun jam, too. The wound prevents the clearance being completed in the expected time.

The 'fire'/'straight' question is clear - no planning of 'straights' whilst still on 'fire'.
    Note that your last 'fire' damage card could be another 'fire', so the conflagration continues for another 3 turns!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I don't see clearly in the rules about extending the gun jam when wounded in the clearing process. I'd say that one is up to how you want to play it. Not the easiest to keep track of when running a game with 14 pilots and 20+ planes on the table!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I don't see clearly in the rules about extending the gun jam when wounded in the clearing process. I'd say that one is up to how you want to play it. Not the easiest to keep track of when running a game with 14 pilots and 20+ planes on the table!
    Check the 'wounded pilot' description in Special Damage. It says that wounded pilots take four jam counters.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    ...Note that your last 'fire' damage card could be another 'fire', so the conflagration continues for another 3 turns!
    You don't count special damage from fire damage cards Tim so that couldn't happen.
    You can of course take another fire damage from being shot and that would bump the fire counters back up to three.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    ... Not the easiest to keep track of when running a game with 14 pilots and 20+ planes on the table!
    Yeah it is - if they're jammed when wounded Peter just give them an extra jam token !
    Last edited by flash; 10-05-2019 at 10:37.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You don't count special damage from fire damage cards Tim so that couldn't happen.
    I've always played "don't count special damage except for fire and explosion" - that's the way it was taught to me. I guess it's a House Rule used by my earlier opponents.
    RAP says only note damage points and explosions.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I've always played "don't count special damage except for fire and explosion" - that's the way it was taught to me. I guess it's a House Rule used by my earlier opponents.
    RAP says "If an airplane draws a fire damage card while it already suffers from fire damage, the player must start again tracking the fire damage with three tokens..." So fires could last indefinitely.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Check the 'wounded pilot' description in Special Damage. It says that wounded pilots take four jam counters.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You can of course take another fire damage from being shot and that would bump the fire counters back up to three.

Yeah it is - if they're jammed when wounded Peter just give them an extra jam token !
    This I know Mike, but if in the middle of clearing a jam a pilot gets wounded, I don't see anything where it says you add another jam marker. Makes sense to me but its not in the rules.

"A wounded pilot takes longer unjamming his machine guns: If the guns become jammed, they cannot fire after the next four maneuvers, instead of the next three". (P11)

The rule only explains if guns become jammed when a pilot is already wounded. If consensus or Andrea says otherwise I will continue to play it the way I do.

Drawing a fire marker while on fire does reset the fire markers back to three, see page 12 of RAP.

I think it's more to do with how (badly) the rules are written Tim !
    When on fire "only damage points and explosions are taken into account" is shortly followed by "If an airplane draws a fire damage card while it already suffers from fire damage, the player must start again tracking the fire damage with three counters" it can cause confusion which is then passed on.
    Clearly if "only damage points and explosions" count in fire damage then that is not the source of further fire damage so it must only come from another attack.

"He is wise who watches"

I really don't understand the exclusions - I think any of the special damages could happen when on fire, except gun jams (unless they were applied to the plane itself.)
    Similarly the collisions and AA results...

Similar Missions

1. Errata/Clarifications document available for download.
    By Naharaht in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2019, 08:34
  2. Card rules vs mini rules
    By petitbilbo in forum Polls
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 03:52
  3. OTT Rules Clarifications
    By 7eat51 in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 13:19
  4. new altitude rules in Rules and Accessories Pack?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 15:12
  5. Mission 7: Nightbomber's preparations and clarifications
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 12:37