Ares Games

Thread: OTT DYM Mission 9 - Timing Is Everything! 6 March 1916 - Vagabond AAR

Default OTT DYM Mission 9 - Timing Is Everything! 6 March 1916 - Vagabond AAR

PROLOGUE

I’ve split this story into 3 parts, the Prologue is just the introduction to my new Flight Commander, the Log is the story of the game – mostly, and the Epilogue is the Butchers Bill and a round up to the game. So go straight to the Log if you want to avoid this guff about my new Flight Commander J

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 P1420947 800.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	276005
    So this is what 95% cloud cover looks like I thought to myself as I reflected on the military minds they called “The Brains” back at HQ, well at least they got it wrong about the rain. It was an absolutely beautiful day, the sun was shining, reflecting off the tops of the clouds as we trailed out way over them, we were so close that the wheels of my plane were creating swirls in the vapour.

I glanced off to my right.

Name:	002 P1420953 800.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	276006
    I was still in position on the port wing of my new Flight Commander who seemed like a man in his element.

Mind you I think he would have been in his element anywhere.

Name:	003 Montagu Biff Anstruther-Browne 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	276007
    Lt Montague Anstruther-Browne, 2nd son to the Earl of Shrewsbury, arrived at our Drome dressed in his Hampshire cricket jumper and carrying his willow bat which he referred to as Ethel. He looked to be a couple of years older than me but carried himself with an assurance and poise that I had never seen before.

He had been introduced to us by Uncle, who looked a bit put out, even more so when Lt M. A-B. said you call me Biff, not Sir or Lieutenant, when you know me better and I know you, then Skipper will probably do also, but until then it’s Biff and anyone who calls me Montague will find out why it’s Biff and he looked at us closely when he said it.

Name:	004 P1420958 800.jpg 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	276008
    Just then I saw the 3rd plane in the flight, the Twa Jocks, they had been appearing and disappearing in the cloud but maintaining their position on Biff’s starboard wing. The three of us, it reminded me of the Dumas book, the Musketeers - well - only a little.

I was wondering how we were going to find our target with this cloud cover but of much more concern was how we were going to find the Drome on our return, with the warmth of the Mess to welcome us and that cheering glass of whisky at the end of the flight.
    This was the first time I’d flown in such conditions and I was trying to remember the navigation lessons back in Blighty, of course I’d not taken much notice then, I was all fired up with the exciting first flight and navigation seemed very dry stuff at the time.

There’s not much to do flying on a set course, apart from checking regularly for enemy, as well as ensuing you stay in formation, so I was quietly ruminating on our new F.C. and his briefing this morning, I think I’d slipped up there, I shouldn’t have been so naïve, after 8 weeks at the front I should have known better. Unbeknown to me the CO and Uncle were ruminating on him and his briefing as well.

Name:	05 F.O.Kyte.jpg 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	276009
    Well the CO said “as you know I was dubious about Wing posting this new fellow to us, all that happens is chaps want to get rid of chaps that don’t fit in, odd balls you might call them. I have one or two chaps I would like to see posted out, that Berry chap for a start, is it 3 or 4 planes he’s written off now” “Only 3” Uncle replied sourly “Yes well he would be better off on someone else’s books rather than ours.”

“However” he continued, “it turns out Anstruther-Browne’s transferred from the RNAS and apparently he is the 2nd son of the Earl of Shrewsbury and you know Shrewsbury is the commander of all the RNAS chaps in northern France. Oh you did know, - well the RNAS seem to have a better procurement system than the RFC, so maybe we can get a couple of their planes to try out in the same way we have been getting the Moranes from St Proud.” Uncle looked a bit dubious but said nothing, there were rumours of a new French plane a Nieuport nicknamed the Bebe that the RNAS were trialling, now that would really put a crimp in the Hun’s tail he thought.

The CO suddenly changed tack and said “how do you think the briefing went this morning”

Name:	06 Uncle.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	276010
    “Humm, not as well as I would like” Uncle replied “Why’s that then” “Well I asked him what the hell he was playing at yesterday for a start, you know, taking the DH2 up to 2000’ and then flying round the airfield in a box course” “Yes I saw that” replied the CO “He flew about 1000 yds in a straight line and then turned 90’ and did the same thing, then turned and repeated it going round in a square 4 or 5 times” Mind you that was a marvellous display of acrobatic flying afterwards don’t you think and then he just flew off for an hour or so, what did he say to that”
    “Well that was another problem, I told him we didn’t show off like that in the RFC, acrobatics might be the thing in the RNAS but we go after the Hun in deadly earnest.”

“He didn’t turn a hair, but explained that he was swinging his compass, had never flown a DH2 before so was trying to get a feel for the plane and on his hour long flight had been marking up his map with the salient feature so he could get himself and his flight back home. I decided not to ask about the new bullet holes in his plane and he didn’t volunteer any information about it. Although I got a call about a DH2 attacking a formation of German bombers and did I know anything about it. Naturally I said no but I had his mechanic check the fuel level and there was not much more than vapour in the tank and the gun had been fired”.

“Swinging his compass” echoed the CO. “Yes that was another problem” explained Uncle “I told him the mornings mission was to bomb the other end of the tunnel we hit recently, gave him the coordinates and then the weather forecast and his face went as cloudy as the forecast” “He did seem to cheer up a bit when I told him we expected there to be enemy scouts protecting the tunnel.” “That’s when he asked if we had any experience of night flying and I said no” “He looked a little pensive and so I asked what did he think”

“Well I hope you don’t think I’m too negative” he said “but it’s not possible”

Well I exploded at that but after a while I calmed down a little and he carried on as if nothing had happened. He told me “I’ve checked your planes and none of them has a Compass Deviation Card in them so the chaps can’t fly a compass course blind, they will end up in the wrong place”. “I must have looked as blank as I felt, so he showed me the results of his Compass Swinging.

Name:	07.JPG 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	276011
    “It turns out he’s been sailing since he was suckled and crossed the Atlantic twice as navigator on a small yacht and so understands navigational techniques as well as anyone. Apparently each plane or yacht has a different amount of magnetic interference that affects the compass, engines, that sort of thing, and so as well as the bloody magnetic pole being 12 or 13’ off true north*** you can add or subtract another bunch of degrees depending on the course you are steering because of your bally plane.” “Then there’s the wind he said, it’s just like the tide but we can’t measure it to take account of its effect on the plane, so all in all flying a course using a compass to arrive at a point is impossible.” As well as the problem finding the right place there’s the height of the cloud to take into account, he said, it looks to be as low as 200’ here today but it might be 0 over the target, my men will just as likely dive into the ground before we see it.

“I told him that - yes I did think he was being negative and to get on with it and sent him off with a flea in his ear, but I think he’s right, we’re going to lose 3 planes today along with 5 good men.”

“Well I’m not so sure about that” replied the CO “I overheard his briefing to the chaps this morning before the flight, he didn’t know I was there otherwise I expect it would have been different”. “It was quite succinct and went something like”, “Some idiot thinks we are going to fly 30 miles in a straight line, drop down through the cloud, find a needle in a haystack and drop a bomb on it.
    This is what we are going to do. Fly 30 miles in a straight line and drop the bombs and fly back on a reciprocal course and land back here in time for tea and crumpet. I will shoot anyone who dives down through cloud layer this low, we have no idea where it ends and I’m not having my flight pushing up daisies dieing in such a stupid way, you have Huns to kill and you can’t do that if you are dead.” The only good news is that there is expected to be fighter cover over the target, if the idiots are in the air, they will act as a pointer to where the tunnel is, otherwise when I fire a red very light you drop your bombs - on target - if anyone asks and we go home, is that understood?”

“Well in spite of my initial reservations – I think he might do after all” Uncle confided with a smile.

Name:	008 P1420961 800.jpg 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	276012
    I kept seeing one plane then two.

Name:	009 P1420954 800.jpg 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	276013
    Occasionally none but Biff or Lt M. A-B or Mad Biff as I was thinking of him kept on flying with assurance, if I’d known what he was thinking maybe I wouldn’t have been so happy.

*** As best I could find this was the magnetic variation in Northern France in 1917 but don’t quote me on it.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 10-04-2019 at 13:47.

LOG

Name:	010.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	276014
    Biff flying with nonchalance and grace in the DE2 leading the two FE2b’s, Z for Zebra flown by Hugh MacIver with Alex MacGreggor MM who is riding shotgun, other wise known as the Twa Jocks and me flying V for Vagabond with my new best chum Joe Ryan from New York. Chum might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I get him to the enemy, and he kills them.

Name:	011 P1420881 800.jpg 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	276015
    Bingo, we see 2 small black spots on the horizon, Biff was right and we’ve dropped lucky, after 30 miles of flying blind he’s led us almost directly to where we needed to be, a slight correction to the course and we will be there.
    There’s a loud ratatatat as Joe warms up his Lewis gun, I’m beginning to have a lot of confidence in this man, he might look like a rough diamond but he knows his job. Mind you I did reflect on the conversation in the Mess last night when I asked him what he did for a living. I’d no idea what he meant by running numbers for Bugsy Morane but it sort of sounded a bit on the shady side and when I pressed him about what exactly did it mean, he seemed a bit embarrassed and changed the subject. I assumed it must be some physical labouring job and he was ashamed of working with his hands, or legs I suppose if he was running although what the numbers were I’ve no idea.

Name:	012 P1420885 800.jpg 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	276016
    As we got closer I could see they were a pair of Fokker E111’s flying in a large circle, that must be them, although how they can know where they are above this cloud cover I’ve no idea.

Name:	013 P1420897 800.jpg 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	276017
    Approaching fast - I just had to put up this photo to show my brilliant ground terrain, MikeM eat your heart out, it’s a work of art, damn this cloud cover, you can’t really see it properly.

Name:	014 P1420896 800.jpg 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	276018
    That’s when I saw the hole in the cloud and the ground but no obvious railway or tunnel, Biff waggled his wings and signalled he was going to attack.

Name:	015 P1420900 800.jpg 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	276019
    The Fokkers had been at a slightly higher altitude not as close to the top of the clouds as we were, but they dropped to our level and came on at us in line astern. I remember thinking that they must be inexperienced pilots to attack like that.

Name:	016 P1420902 800.jpg 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	276020
    As we closed on the first Fokker the cloud was drifting away from us and effectively the hole in the cloud was moving, I was pretty sure I could see what looked like a couple of AA gun positions, if so then we were definitely in the right place. Where was the tunnel, this was going to turn Biffs strategy on it’s head if we could actually see it.

Name:	017 P1420904 800.jpg 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	276021
    The Fokker pilot was brave even if he was a novice, flying into the guns of 3 planes, or it would have been 3 except MacGreggor hadn’t fired, I guess Biff was in his line of fire. I could see the Germans tracers flying past us but Joe’s return fire was much more accurate, Biff was also pouring in a withering fire as well.

Name:	018 P1420905 800.jpg 
ID:	276022
    Same shot from a more dramatic angle.

Name:	019 P1420908 800.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	276023
    As we flew past each other Joe continued to pour fire into the E111 until his guns jammed, he seemed to take a much more reasoned approach to un-jamming the gun that my previous Observer Jack Cowan who used to carry a mallet in the cockpit to free the gun. They never taught me that technique in flight school.

Name:	020 P1420910 800.jpg 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	276024
    As we got closer still the gap in the cloud kept moving and finally revealed the tunnel, not half a toilet roll as was suggested by one participant in DYM, I mentioned this to Mrs V and she told me to bugger off, I was not cutting up perfectly good toilet roll, just because some bloke in Devon did it. I decided to use a target card instead as my printer is still without ink. It’s the card bottom right.

Name:	021 P1420914 800.jpg 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	276025
    The E111 went past Biff was going straight for the blue one that was coming at us, I jinked to starboard and then was going to port to follow through over the target.

Name:	022 P1420917 800.jpg 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	276026
    At this point I’m fairly well lined up on the tunnel and Joe looks to have cleared the jam, I hope so because once Biff is out of the way Joe should have a clear shot at this blue E111 closing fast. I just need to keep my wits about me and drop the bomb at the right time. We were quite high and I knew it would take a while before hitting the ground.

Name:	023 P1420918 800.jpg 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	276027
    The CDL Fokker Pilot has done an Immelmann turn and is chasing after us but can’t catch up before we hit the tunnel.

Name:	024 P1420920 800.jpg 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	276028
    I had my hand tight over the bomb release button when the Blue Fokker turned right in front of us and at the same time MacGreggor opened fire on it, tracers going past us, way way too close. I jumped out of my skin and my hand involuntarily squeezed the release button, damn the bombs dropped too soon.

I’m not too sure I’m going to share that bit of information when we get back.

Name:	025 P1420925 800.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	276029
    I’d pulled round to port to let MacIver in the other FEE take a shot at the tunnel and found the blue Fokker right in front of me again, I would tell them later in the Mess it was just good reactions and flying on my part but really it was pure luck. Good luck or not Joe opens fire at close range and he’s blowing lumps off the Fokker until yet again his gun jams. Maybe the mallet approach is a better one.

I’ve just realized I have the bullet checker ability, but it’s a bit late for that now Duhhh.

Name:	026 P1420926 800.jpg 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	276030
    A close call as Biff swings in front of MacIver who is concentrating so much on dropping his bomb at the right time that he doesn’t even see him, well that’s what he said later but knowing him I would guess that he would have flown straight through Biff to get to the target if he had to.

MacIvers bomb is on the way, the small dark cloud is where my bomb hit, blowing bits of dirt over anyone close enough.

Name:	027 P1420928 800.jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	276031
    MacIvers bomb hits, right on target, you can see mine is way off, middle and front of the photo.

The AA guns are the MG’s, the AA cannon were never uncovered by the hole in the cloud, maybe I had them in slightly the wrong place.

Name:	028 P1420932 800.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	276032
    Biff has straightened up and fires on the Fokker, there’s a loud explosion and it blows up, it’s a frightening sight, Biffs plane starts to emit smoke, Joe is still trying to free up his latest jam and the Blue Fokker slides in front of us.

Name:	029 P1420936 800.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	276033
    I look over my shoulder and see the CDL one hit the ground, Biff gets a kill on his first outing with us, hopefully the smoke will not turn into flames, I guess he has his fingers and toes crossed on that one as well.

Name:	030 P1420934 800.jpg 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	276034
    I can see Joe has cleared his gun again and so I’m going to chase after the blue E111. I’ve learned my lesson chasing after enemy planes when I can’t shoot them but they can shoot me.

Name:	031 P1420938 800.jpg 
ID:	276035
    I made a perfectly judged turn and even at long range Joe is making mince meat of him, I can feel Biff chasing after us, I can’t see him because I’m concentrating on making sure Joe stays on target, but I just know he’s there, - right behind me, it’s a comforting thought.

Name:	032 P1420940 800.jpg 
ID:	276036
    His gun doesn’t jam this time and this continuous firing results in enough damage to send the Fokker down.

It should have been a +1 but I forgot in the excitement. I’ve just noticed there was another occasion that Joe missed on the +1, but you have to realize he’s still a novice, I’m sure as his experience grows he will count the +1’s in the future.

Name:	033 P1420944 800.jpg 
ID:	276037
    This is the last we saw of the Fokker as it disappeared through the cloud, the fire is for effect only.

Name:	034 P1420947 800.jpg 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	276038
    The sky is clear of enemy planes, the tunnel is in ruins and we head home. We just need a hole in the cloud when we arrive back at the Drome, Sam how are you fixed for calculating where that should be.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 10-04-2019 at 13:50.

Butchers Bill

Name:	050 P1420963 800.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	276039
    Blue Fokker E111 Ltn Otto Dehmish - SD FT - No Kills
    C & W = Rolled 9 – 1SD = 8 Injured Skip 1D2 rolled 3 = Skip 1 Scenario.

CDL Fokker Ltn Franz Brauneck - SD EXP FT - No Kills
    C & W = Rolled 2 -3 EXP = -1 KIA

Name:	051 P1420965 800.jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	276040
    2/Lt Hugh MacIver - RTB - No Kills - Blew up the Tunnel

AM2 Alec MacGreggor - RTB - No Kills

Name:	052 P1420966 800.jpg 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	276041
    2/Lt John Vagabond - RTB - No Kills

2/Lt Joseph Ryan - RTB - 1 Kill (Dehmish)

Name:	053 P1420967 800.jpg 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	276042
    Lt Montague ‘Biff’ Anstruther-Browne - RTB - 1 Kill (Brauneck)

Epilogue
    Well what a white wash, the tunnel was blown to smithereens from altitude 3 so bombs in the air 2 phases, and 2 German planes shot down, this has to be one, if not the most successful of my missions. I hope the arrival of Biff is going to breathe new life into C Flight. With all due respect to George Drummond he was a pretty lacklustre leader of the flight. I had great hopes for him initially but he seemed to become a fey and ethereal being, the loss of Frank Lawless seemed to draw the life out of him, at least that’s how I envisioned it, which is a shame because I originally had him in my mind as a Bulldog Drummond type but that just never happened. Maybe it was the face I chose for him, I never really took to it.

Mad as a hatter, moi!! yes I know.

We missed the final part of the discussion between the CO and Uncle in the Prologue, which went something like this:-

The CO as a bit of an afterthought confided in Uncle “ Oh by the way St Proud is sending another liaison officer to replace Henry De Lacy, fellow by the name of Jerome Dupont and we have a third chappy coming but I can’t make head nor tail of his name, I think one of the typing gals must have got her fingers in a knot, here, what do you make of that” and he passed the movement order over to Uncle, “Sounds Japanese to me - Ichiro Takahashi, I didn’t realise they were in the Western Front, but if he can fly that’s all that matters.”

Name:	Jerome Dupont 1.jpg 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	276043 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ichiro Takahashi.jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	276044
    Jerome looks to be a competent veteran and Takahashi could be anything, only time and Over The Trenches with the Daring Young Men will reveal the answer to that question.

Oh, just as an after thought, - Biff called me over to a quiet table in the corner of the Mess that night, I sat down with some trepidation and he looked me hard in the eye. “This Morning” he started “When I gave the briefing and referred to dropping the bombs and returning home, whether or not we had seen the target you interrupted and objected”
    “Yes” I said, “I’m sorry about that, I’ve had time to reflect on what you were doing, and I understand now”
    “Good” he replied “because I am the commander in the air, I don’t give a flying squirrel what HQ has to say or even the CO. We will do our job and die doing it BUT we won’t die needlessly or stupidly because some one who has no idea what flying is about tells us to. If I decide that something is possible or not possible in the air then we will do it together - as a team – as C Flight. IS THAT CLEAR.
    I thought of how he was backing me up this morning, even though his plane was blowing black smoke out of the engine and just said “Yes Si.. err Biff that’s fine with me.”

“Good now what would you like to drink, I think we have something to celebrate, don’t you?”
    Last edited by Vagabond; 10-04-2019 at 13:55.

Beautiful yet again. You're absolutely correct. Down in Devon we do strange things with loo rolls, but generally speaking we wait until they are empty I not only have a railway tunnel I have a couple of temporary hangers lounging about somewhere.

Yes, your ground terrain is superb, what I could see of it But I refuse to eat my heart just for that!

Lovely photos, great story line. Like your new pilots. All in all, job well done and a great result for the Bulldogs. You obviously know a hell of a lot more about flying than I do, which is not difficult as I know virtually nothing. That includes navigation. So the technical expertise regarding navigating the Atlantic ocean went right over my head. Sad, I know, but I'll take what I can from the lesson, with thanks.

Great AAR John - rep trying to find its way to you. Just hope the compass swinging permits that.

Thumbs up

Another Classic AAR from your Pen John!
    Loved the photos of the aircraft in the Clouds.
    "THINKS:" If we all use more clouds we wont give a Damn about super 3D scenery!

I do like the "cut of the Jib" of your new Flight Commander who apparently knows a thing or two about Jibs, Compasses & other things nautical!

Great result for your lads. That stuck it to the old Hun in Spades.

Rep on its way provided the clouds don't confuse it.

Absolutely stunning presentation, John.
    (pssst ... Hey, Mike - you have some serious competition)

Amazing terrain under those magnificent clouds - too bad the camera didn't do i it justice, toilet rolls be damned.

Love the new characters you are bringing to your table. I hope Takahashi doesn't end up Kamikaze ....

Oh - and a very successful day's work an' all.

REP has already been dispatched.

Thanks guys, sorry about the navigation lesson.

Regarding the scenery, I'd decided to change Sam's hole in the cloud idea upside down and use a white cloth on the table and cut out a bit of green cloth as the ground and move that along. I already had a lot of cotton wool balls that I was going to use for the clouds but they were in the attic and I thought they would look naff.
    I've been going to copy the cloud idea that Mike and a few others use, putting them on stands so I had a small pack of teddy bear stuffing but when I opened the packet it expanded enormously and filled the table.
    I now have a large bag of stuffing because I can't get it back into its original bag.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Beautiful yet again. You're absolutely correct. Down in Devon we do strange things with loo rolls, but generally speaking we wait until they are empty I not only have a railway tunnel I have a couple of temporary hangers lounging about somewhere.

Yes, your ground terrain is superb, what I could see of it But I refuse to eat my heart just for that!

Lovely photos, great story line. Like your new pilots. All in all, job well done and a great result for the Bulldogs. You obviously know a hell of a lot more about flying than I do, which is not difficult as I know virtually nothing. That includes navigation. So the technical expertise regarding navigating the Atlantic ocean went right over my head. Sad, I know, but I'll take what I can from the lesson, with thanks.

Great AAR John - rep trying to find its way to you. Just hope the compass swinging permits that.
    Mike thanks for the Rep, your inbox is full so couldnt reply there.

Cheers mate.

Superb job John, you got round the ticklish issue of the terrain quite nicely - I was going to go along a similar route and print off a bit of the mat to move over a white mat but didn't have enough stuffing and couldn't work out how I was going to position the guns and the moving train so gave up on it before my head imploded !
    Nice to see Biff has got a grip of things, hope the other new chaps can enhance things further.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, target destroyed and a brace of Fokkers along with it, who can ask for more especially in the conditions given. Try and keep an eye on the ace skills - they'll help or hinder depending which side they're on - Otto had sharp eye but didn't get a chance to use it by the looks of things.
    Time for a party to celebrate methinks

A replacement has arrived on the Eagle roster - Ltn Hans Kuhn
    Last edited by flash; 10-06-2019 at 02:30.

"He is wise who watches"

(pssst ... Hey, Mike - you have some serious competition
    Damn right Pete. The more the merrier I say. I like writing the AARs but its a lot of fun reading them too But what we have to do for them is odd sometimes - cutting up loo rolls and denying teddy bears their stuffing Whatever next

your inbox is full so couldnt reply there.
    Ooops, thanks for the heads up John, better do something about that

Uncle has finished your report John

"He is wise who watches"

Nice AAR, it was a very fun one to read!REP!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Damn right Pete. The more the merrier I say. I like writing the AARs but its a lot of fun reading them too But what we have to do for them is odd sometimes - cutting up loo rolls and denying teddy bears their stuffing Whatever next

Ooops, thanks for the heads up John, better do something about that
    Mike just to be sure we all understand. NO TEDDY BEARS WERE HARMED OR DEPRIVED OF STUFFING IN THE MAKING OF THIS STORY.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Superb job John, you got round the ticklish issue of the terrain quite nicely - I was going to go along a similar route and print off a bit of the mat to move over a white mat but didn't have enough stuffing and couldn't work out how I was going to position the guns and the moving train so gave up on it before my head imploded !
    Nice to see Biff has got a grip of things, hope the other new chaps can enhance things further.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, target destroyed and a brace of Fokkers along with it, who can ask for more especially in the conditions given. Try and keep an eye on the ace skills - they'll help or hinder depending which side they're on - Otto had sharp eye but didn't get a chance to use it by the looks of things.
    Time for a party to celebrate methinks

A replacement has arrived on the Eagle roster - Ltn Hans Kuhn
    Cheers Dave. I find I forget more rules each time I play although that doesn't leasten the enjoyment of the games. It was fairly easy moving the guns but did you mention train, I decided against the train I'm afraid.

Another excellent job on both scenery and story line. Your band of misfits does seem to be making themselves fit in-the kind of thing movie scripts are written about.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    Nice AAR, it was a very fun one to read!REP!
    Thanks Daniel, If it made you smile I'm happy.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Another excellent job on both scenery and story line. Your band of misfits does seem to be making themselves fit in-the kind of thing movie scripts are written about.
    Sam I think you will find that they are just slightly eccentric - not missfits.

True mastery of the air John. A thorough drubbing taken by the Hun. The new FC seems to have lifted the unit's confidence and on a tough mission they worked well as a team and pulled it off magnificently.
    I should have had you fly my mission for me to save some of my crew.

And the best damn 3d scenery of the campaign(sorry Mike!) as far as I could see.

I ended up sitting on the bag to get my clouds back into it!

Cheers Peter, I have a very strange view of you sitting on a bag of teddy bear stuffing, but if thats what you chaps get up to in the winter it's ok with me.

I was so proud of my 3d terrain, it's a shame Sam called for 95% cloud cover to spoil it.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-21-2019, 07:58
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-21-2019, 07:34
  3. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 9: Timing is Everything - 6th March 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-18-2019, 12:59
  4. BRF OTT DYM Mission 9 - Timing Is Everything! 6 March 1916 - zenlizard
    By zenlizard in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 28