Ares Games

Thread: Hello from Las Vegas!

Default Hello from Las Vegas!

Hi all, new player here.

As a sucker for anything HG Wells, Tripods and Triplanes convinced me to finally jump in and build a little collection! Love the theme and mechanics, and learning the game seems easy enough after previously playing Sails. I've got a few tripids on order, now to figure out what planes to start with...

Although I'm not a great Tripods fan I never the less extend my welcome to you for joining us on the 'Drome'.

Welcome to the 'Drome, Chris!

I seem to recall Las Vegas being wrecked by a different set of Martians...………………… <<"Mars Attacks!">>
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Greetings from an overcast Space Coast! My suggestion, grab at least two each of the new releases before they disappear. So,

Camel vs DRI,
    Spad XIII vs DV,
    Pfalz vs SE5.

Maybe a second N16 to round out the one in the set. Someone else here I’m sure can suggest a good adversary. In this way you can also play WoG as well as TT.

You can buy the planes from this form’s store or from Miniature Market online. Those first two pairs are already getting scarce.

Good luck.

PS, Since hockey season just started. Go Knights!

Welcome to the 'Drome from Virginia!

Welcome to the Aerodrome from the other side of the US! Hope your flight with us is smooth.

I did not believe tripods, but playing them changed my mind and now I really understand your passion. Welcome to the Aerodrome

Welcome to the Aerodrome Chris. Make sure you get the T&T starter set as just buying tripods won't give you everything you'll need to play the game. Plane selection above by BwanaJoe is a good bet. Like Dan-Sam, I wasn't initially keen on tripods but after playing a few games I think its great. Post some AARs so we all can vicariously enjoy your experience with our passion!

Hi Chris, welcome from England.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

(welcoming head bobs) to Chris from the lizard here on the east coast.

If you're looking to expand your general collection, Joe's suggestions are excellent: but if you're looking for anti-tripod specifically, I'd start looking for anything with rockets.

hi welcome from Boston Lincolnshire uk

Hi Chris - A warm welcome to you from the South West of England. Whatever your choice, be it Tripods, WWI, WWII, BSG or modern, there's plenty here for everyone to enjoy. Have fun!

On behalf of all the pilots from Dear Old Blighty, (the home of HG Wells) welcome to the Drome Chris. I am sure you will find a lot here to entertain you.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you have found your way to the Forum, Chris! Tripods and Triplanes is, indeed, a fun game/add-on to Wings of Glory. I am certainly glad I jumped in at the deep end...

There is so much great info and so many wonderful people here - I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have over the years.

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Here's what I've picked up after a chunk of reading and following the advice above and in other posts on the forum:

2x Tripods & Triplanes Starter Sets (total of 2 Locusts and 2 N16s)
    1x Mark II Scarab

1x Sopwith Camel (Barker)
    1x Fokker Dr.I (von Richthofen)

1x Rumpler C.IV (Luftstreitkrafte 8256)
    1x Breguet Br.14 B2 (Audinot/Hellouin de Cenival)

The Scarab, Br.14, and CIV are all on sale at CSI through the weekend so I figured what the heck, and I felt I had to purchase the DRI just so the title on the game box would be accurate. :]

Looks like a good start Chris. You can have a lot of fun with what you've got there.

Nice selection of aircraft! Have fun!

CSI?

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post

The Scarab, Br.14, and CIV are all on sale at CSI through the weekend so I figured what the heck, and I felt I had to purchase the DRI just so the title on the game box would be accurate. :]

Off to a good start, Chris.

Welcome from Portland, Oregon.

welcome to the drome Chris!!!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Chris, from here 'Across the Pond' in the United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    CSI?
    Cool Stuff, Inc: a game retailer, they have a sale on WoG stuff often enough that I have the site bookmarked.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Chris. ENJOY!!!!

Pick up some SE5a before they are gone.

Hello Chris and welcome to the 'Drome. No matter what you love, or how you got here, I hope your journey is fun and full of good times with good people.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSuds View Post

Isnt that the truth. I had one of each in my Miniature Market shopping cart from Friday a d now they are sold out. Sheesh, there were over 10 of them in stock each! Luckily there are some Dallas ones left. Time to grab one before someone decides to buy all 20 to repaint for a squadron.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSuds View Post

Isnt that the truth. I had one of each in my Miniature Market shopping cart from Friday a d now they are sold out. Sheesh, there were over 10 of them in stock each! Luckily there are some Dallas ones left. Time to grab one before someone decides to buy all 20 to repaint for a squadron.
    No kidding! Had one in my Aerodrome Store cart, went to check out tonight and it was sold out. That'll teach me not to leave things unresolved.

No kidding! Had one in my Aerodrome Store cart, went to check out tonight and it was sold out. That'll teach me not to leave things unresolved.
    Well we can only hope that when they end up in Fleabay the market is slim.

You can still pick up one here: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/arewgf124b.html.
    Last edited by BwanaJoe; 10-08-2019 at 04:07.

Well we can only hope that when they end up in Fleabay the market is slim.

You can still pick up one here: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/arewgf124b.html.
    Looks like they've got a handful of McCudden and Bishop planes available now, too. I can tell this is going to be a dangerous rabbit hole to jump into, just added the following to the allotment heading my way:

RAF SE.5A (Dallas)*
    RAF SE.5A (McCudden)

Pfalz D.III (Holtzem)
    Pfalz D.III (Berthold)

SPAD XIII (Rickenbacker)
    Albatros D.V (Weber)

Looks like they've got a handful of McCudden and Bishop planes available now, too. I can tell this is going to be a dangerous rabbit hole to jump into, just added the following to the allotment heading my way:
    Repeat after me. “Hi, my name’s Chris. (Hi Chris!) I’m a toy plane addict.” Welcome to the club!

Repeat after me. “Hi, my name’s Chris. (Hi Chris!) I’m a toy plane addict.” Welcome to the club!
    "Hi, my name is Chris. I'm a toy plane collector." Joe, don't push Chris down the rabbit hole. Let him wander in on his own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    "Hi, my name is Chris. I'm a toy plane collector." Joe, don't push Chris down the rabbit hole. Let him wander in on his own volition.
    Its only fair Peter, that is what you guys did to me. I’m just paying it forward!

Its only fair Peter, that is what you guys did to me. I’m just paying it forward!
    Sorry, but you know misery loves company! (misery for my wallet)

Hah! I'm fine, I'm fine, this won't be a problem.

Hmm, I wonder where I could store a zeppelin...

Hah! I'm fine, I'm fine, this won't be a problem.

Hmm, I wonder where I could store a zeppelin...
    You don't have a garage? I have a Zeppelin and an air craft carrier in mine. And there is still room for the car!

PS: Welcome to the 'drome.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hello Chris, welcome to the group!!!

Name:  shotdown.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  189.8 KB

First mission didn't go so well for the N16.

Love the game. Even in such a simple scenario, the drama and tension were there and both players had plenty of opportunities to make meaningful decisions. While I like SoG as well (whose game mat we borrow for the night), T&T is now a solid favorite for me in the series. May try experimenting with altitude, but right now I'm not sure if it'd add to the experience or simply make it more complex.

First impressions of the cockpits is that they could use work: the cardstock is flimsy compared to the rest of the punch outs, and for new players, it'd be nice to have reminders for recharge times in the appropriate chit bays, as well as better damage tracking. Will probably end up with a custom before too long.