Ares Games

Thread: The Defence of Doncaster (part 1).

Default The Defence of Doncaster (part 1).

This game was run by Andrzej (Nightbomber) at Doncaster on 27th September 2019. He did not run the scenario as originally intended because of inexperience amongst the players. It became a straight fight between a Locust and four aircraft: Kissenberth's Camel (reduced to a B gun), SPAD VII (B gun), Sopwith Triplane (B gun), Ball's and Nieuport 16 (without rockets). The Locust would have black smoke launchers in addition to its heat rays but the aircraft were not allowed Kazakov's Anchor and Chain weapon. It was played on the East and West Wings of War mats because Andrzej had originally intended to use the river as an obstacle but that was not applied in this game.

The cast: Locust (Andrzej), Camel (Daniel), SPAD (Joaquim), Sopwith Triplane (Diana) and Nieuport (David).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02713.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	275973

The two sides advanced to meet each other.

Name:	DSC02719.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	275974
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-03-2019 at 22:34.

The Locust turned towards the Camel, whilst the other aircraft closed in.

Name:	DSC02721.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	275978

The Locust fired its heat ray at the Camel, whilst the other aircraft approached the Tripod from behind.

Name:	DSC02722.jpg 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	275979

Name:	DSC02723.jpg 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	275980

The Camel turned hard right and overflew the oncoming Locust. The Triplane turned right to attack the Tripod but it had moved on. The Nieuport and SPAD were dangerously close, would they collide?

Name:	DSC02724.jpg 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	275981

The Camel made another hard right turn but it was not quite enough to get the left turning Tripod into his sights. The Triplane turned left behind the Locust and was hit by the dreaded black smoke from the Locust's left rear launcher. The SPAD and Nieuport both flew straight ahead and managed to avoid each other.

Name:	DSC02726.jpg 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	275983

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looks like some typical Tripod fun! Too bad Andy couldn't run the planned scenario - but one has to allow for players and experience/inexperience... That's one of the wonderful things about this game - one can adapt things on a spur-of-the-moment to fit virtually any need.

All the best,
    Matt

What Matt said. The flexibility of our game lets us adjust and play on. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Great start David, my favourite plane is on the table, the Sopwith Triplane so looking forward to the rest of the game and seeing how it gets on.

In his intended scenario, Andrzej would have had Tripods capturing groups of humans on the ground. However, I expect that he will run that game somewhere else soon.

Meanwhile the Triplane survived the black smoke and flew round behind the Tripod. The Camel made another hard right turn and flew over the stationary Locust, distracting it whilst the SPAD flew in to attack. The Nieuport turned left to start to line up an attack run.

Name:	DSC02728.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	276062

The Camel made another hard right turn whilst the Locust turned left and moved towards the river. The Triplane and SPAD flew straight ahead meaning that the SPAD flew behind the Tripod. The Nieuport made another left turn.

Name:	DSC02729.jpg 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	276063

The Sopwith Camel and Triplane both flew straight ahead, whilst the SPAD performed an Immelmann turn. The Nieuport turned left again towards the Tripod, which was walking along the riverbank.

Name:	DSC02730.jpg 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	276064

The Triplane performed an Immelmann turn whilst the Camel continued to fly straight on. The SPAD also flew straight ahead. The Locust halted on the riverbank allowing the Nieuport to close in and fire at its left shield.

Name:	DSC02731.jpg 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	276065

But the Nieuport's gun jammed after a few rounds!

Name:	DSC02732.jpg 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	276066

The Tripod turned right and forded the river. The Nieuport pursued as the pilot hammered at his gun mechanism to clear the jam. The SPAD started to turn to the right to also pursue the Locust. The Triplane flew straight after the Immelmann turn.

Name:	DSC02733.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	276116

The Camel continued to fly away from the combat zone.

Name:	DSC02734.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	276117

The Locust turned to the right and moved away from the river. The Nieuport flew across the river and the SPAD turned to follow the Tripod. The Triplane also turned towards the battle.

Name:	DSC02735.jpg 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	276118

The Camel also turned to return to the fray.

Name:	DSC02736.jpg 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	276119

The Nieuport turned left and flew over the Locust whilst the SPAD flew up behind the Tripod and opened fire. Simultaneously the Tripod fired its black smoke launcher and hit the SPAD.

Name:	DSC02737.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	276126

The two Sopwiths were flying up in support.

Name:	DSC02738.jpg 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	276127

The SPAD survived the black smoke and turned left but so did the Nieuport and they collided. The Locust turned right and fired its heat ray at the Triplane, which had crossed the river.

Name:	DSC02739.jpg 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	276128

The Camel hurried in support.

Name:	DSC02740.jpg 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	276129

Can't wait to see more of the T&T AAR! Looks great so far.

The Triplane survived the heat ray attack and flew on past the Locust, which had pause to recharge. The SPAD and Nieuport survived collision, the SPAD turning right to attack the Tripod's rear and the Nieuport to turn left. The Camel turned to head off the Tripod.

Name:	DSC02741.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	276152

The Locust turned right and fired its heat ray at the oncoming Camel. The SPAD flew on firing at the enemy and the Nieuport turned left preparing to attack. The Triplane perfomed an Immelmann turn to line up on the Tripod's rear. All four aircraft were now converging on the alien craft.

Name:	DSC02742.jpg 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	276153

However, the SPAD's gun had jammed!

Name:	DSC02743.jpg 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	276154

The SPAD pilot pulled over to the left to avoid the Tripod and try to clear his gun. As Triplane attacked the Locust from the rear, the Camel attacked it head on from close range and the Nieuport also fired at its unshielded right front segment.

Name:	DSC02744.jpg 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	276155

Under this hail of bullets blue flame burst from the Locust's body.

Name:	DSC02745.jpg 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	276156

How will this continue?

Nice to see my Tripod in action Dave. Although in the same room I never actually got to come over and see it.
    What a splendid commentary on the action.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It was a fine mission and I really needed something like this to learn tripod rules. And I must say I'm impressed - they work quite well and seems to be fun. Probably will buy it

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great series of pictures capturing the action of the game, David - how do you manage to take so many and still play??? I am never able to balance the two...

Tripods and Triplans is a lot of fun, Daniel - it's a nice twist on the game system that we've all come to love. I think you will enjoy having your own copy.

All the best,
    Matt

I have to be quick taking photographs and choosing cards but I am afraid that I do slow the game down some times and sometime miss pictures, Matt.

The Camel made a hard right turn. The other aircraft flew straight ahead but the Locust turned left and fired its left rear black smoke launcher at the Triplane and SPAD.

Name:	DSC02748.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	276157

The Camel then flew straight ahead. The Triplane and SPAD survived the black smoke. The Triplane turned right and the SPAD performed an Immelmann turn. The Nieuport turned right in pursuit of the Locust, which had also turned right.

Name:	DSC02749.jpg 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	276158

The Camel performed an Immelmann turn to fire at the Locust's rear shield. The Locust remained stationary to recharge. The Triplane flew up alongside it. The SPAD and Nieuport both flew straight ahead.

Name:	DSC02750.jpg 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	276159

The fire inside the Tripod had spread and grown critical. It exploded and was destroyed.

Name:	DSC02751.jpg 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	276160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02754.jpg 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	276161

The four victorious human pilots headed back to base to have their planes repaired and celebrate with a cup of tea (or something stronger) but it was not over. End of part 1.

Great job David. When I run or play in games I can never keep up taking the photos.

Nice AAR!

Nice David.I'm so glad that you and Adrzej posted pics of the tripods game as I saw none of it at the time. Looks a lot of fun. Still trying to assimilate the BSG rules but T & T will be next up Rep inbound

Similar Missions

1. Zone Defence Part 2
    By Baxter in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2017, 19:21
  2. Zone Defence
    By Baxter in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2017, 01:52
  3. _7: The Defence of Lwow_ Arrived...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12