Ares Games

Thread: Colonization of Space ?

Default Colonization of Space ?

Interesting article on the pros and cons of colonization of space:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab

One big downside risk is that whoever controls the oxygen is dictator by default. "Oh, people don't like me in Section 47? I'll show them... and everybody else." *vents Sections 46, 47 and 48 to space*
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    One big downside risk is that whoever controls the oxygen is dictator by default. "Oh, people don't like me in Section 47? I'll show them... and everybody else." *vents Sections 46, 47 and 48 to space*
    Thank you, Mr Cohaagen

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Thank you, Mr Cohaagen
    Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Just noting that the baser instincts will always be with us all... and we'll need new ways to keep power in check. Like maybe a "two officer" policy akin to nuclear weapons or something.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Many such ideas have appeared in sci-fi stories down the years.

Interesting premise, but I have to disagree with it. YMMV.

The fact of transit times with STL space travel makes any kind of interstellar government virtually impossible.
    I just won't be economical to carry resources that would make sense. Nor transport troops or bureaucrats to enforce directives.
    LS transmissions can carry information, but not enforceable instructions.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

more "getpocket" nonsense
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

i would imagine people would build oxygen redundancy in their sections for just such an incident.

Similar Missions

1. Space 1999 Hawk space ship
    By christian59 in forum BSG: Ship Mods/Painting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2019, 14:03
  2. Space Playmats
    By Zoe Brain in forum BSG: Game Aides
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-05-2019, 12:27
  3. Space Plane
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5