Ares Games

Thread: The Cuttlefish Strikes Back

Default The Cuttlefish Strikes Back

This game took place at the Cowards wargames club at Hoveton in Norfolk on 13th September 2019. It followed the game described in 'Enter the Scarab'.

Following the destruction of the Scarab, the Martians decided to deploy the more powerful Cuttlefish tripod to complete the same mission - destroy the four objectives and exit from the opposite end of the map. The map consisted of a No-mans land mat touching a Countryside mat along its long edge. The humans had a Sopwith Triplane (A guns version), a red Fokker Dr.1, a D.H.4 (the AB/B guns version) and a Bristol F2B Fighter (the B/A version). In addition, the D.H.4 was carrying rockets and the Fokker & Bristol fighter were carrying Kazakov's anchor and chain weapon. The die on the D.H.4's control panel was to indicate the number of bursts that still could be fired from the twin top-wing mounted Lewis guns. Standard rules were being applied.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02669.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	274906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02670.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	274907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02671.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	274908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02672.jpg 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	274909

After three moves the Cuttlefish had advanced, as had the aircraft but the D,H,4 had swung out to starboard.

Name:	DSC02673.jpg 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	274910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02674.jpg 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	274911

The Cuttlefish then turned to head over to the right. The planes came on although the D.H.4 appeared to be adopting its previous tactic of circling defensively near two objectives.

Name:	DSC02675.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	274912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02676.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	274913
    Last edited by Naharaht; 09-17-2019 at 08:50.

The Cuttlefish turned to the left to face The Fokker and D.H.4, which were approaching. The Sopwith flew straight on presumably to try to come in from the rear. The Bristol Fighter also flew on possibly with the same plan.

Name:	DSC02677.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	274958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02679.jpg 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	274959

The Fokker pilot stalled his machine. The D.H.4 came on looking to attack. The Sopwith turned to port to launch an attack run, whilst the Bristol fighter Flew on to get behind the Tripod. The Cuttlefish remained stationary but unleashed its heavy heat ray at close range on the Fokker. The first damage card was a zero so the Fokker pilot had to draw a second one.

Name:	DSC02681.jpg 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	274960

The D.H.4 stalled and fired all its rockets. The Bristol Fighter began to turn to come up behind the Tripod. The Sopwith moved in from the left. The Fokker flew straight ahead and the Tripod, which had turned to the right fired its left rear black smoke launcher and the cloud hit the Fokker.

Name:	DSC02682.jpg 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	274961

The Cuttlefish moved forward and dodged the rockets but the D.H.4's observer was able to fire at close range at the Tripod's rear shield as the plane passed behind it. The Fokker performed an Immelmann turn and almost collided with the oncoming Sopwith.

Name:	DSC02683.jpg 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	274962
    Last edited by Naharaht; 09-18-2019 at 20:27.

Two moves later the Cuttlefish had turned and reached an objective. The D.H.4 had made two turns to starboard. The Bristol Fighter turned to starboard and moved forward. The Sopwith turned to port and moved forward. The red Fokker turned to starboard and stalled. The Cuttlefish had anticipated planes moving up behind and fired its black smoke cloud weapon, hitting the Bristol Fighter and the Sopwith.

Name:	DSC02684.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	275029

The Sopwith and Bristol survived and both triplanes were able to fire at the Tripod's shielded side.

Name:	DSC02685.jpg 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	275030

The Cuttlefish remained stationary and drained energy from the objective. The Sopwith and Bristol flew behind the Trip. The Bristol's observer was able to fire at the Cuttlefish's shielded rear. The Fokker turned left and launched Kazakov's anchor and chain weapon. The anchor successfully hooked on. The D.H.4 was still turning to starboard.

Name:	DSC02686.jpg 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	275031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02687.jpg 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	275032

The Sopwith and Bristol turned to port. The Fokker turned right and completed the entanglement, toppling the Tripod but not before it had destroyed the objective. The D.H.4 continued turning to starboard.

Name:	DSC02688.jpg 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	275033

To be continued.

The red Fokker Triplane flew straight ahead. The Sopwith Triplane and the Bristol Fighter turned to port around the Tripod whilst the D.H.4 continued turning to starboard. The tripod lay on the ground struggling to get free. None of the aircraft were able to fire at the Tripod.

Name:	DSC02689.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	275149

The red Fokker flew on. The Sopwith and Bristol Fighter flew straight ahead. The Bristol Fighter's observer was able to fire at the Tripod.

Name:	DSC02691.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	275150
    Last edited by Naharaht; 09-21-2019 at 17:27.

The red Fokker performed an Immelmann turn, the Sopwith and Bristol Fighter turned to port whilst the D.H.4 turned to starboard. The toppled Tripod was still struggling to get free.

Name:	DSC02692.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	275173

The red Fokker moved forward and opened fire on the Tripod. Likewise, the D.H.4 moved forward and opened fire with its fearsome forward battery of three machine guns. The Bristol Fighter turned to port behind the D.H.4 whilst the Sopwith Triplane flew straight ahead.

Name:	DSC02693.jpg 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	275174

The D.H.4 flew straight ahead and its observer raked the fallen Tripod. However, it blocked the attack of the oncoming red Fokker. The Bristol Fighter continued its turn to port and opened fire on the Tripod. The Sopwith turned to port.

Name:	DSC02694.jpg 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	275181

These attacks left the Tripod on fire and its black smoke launcher was out of action.

Name:	DSC02695.jpg 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	275188

However, the Cuttlefish was not finished and, despite the damage, it managed to rise and stagger to its feet.

Name:	DSC02696.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	275320

The Cuttlefish headed left towards its next objective whilst the Bristol Fighter held its own course and flew behind it. The Sopwith turned to port. The D.H.4 started to turn to starboard but the red Fokker turned to port and collided with it.

Name:	DSC02697.jpg 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	275321

Both planes survived the collision, the D.H.4 continuing to turn to starboard and the red Fokker flew straight ahead. The Bristol Fighter began turning to port and the Sopwith Triplane continued its long turning spell to port. The Cuttlefish also turned left.

Name:	DSC02698.jpg 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	275322

The Cuttlefish halted and rotated to the right to face its next objective. The aircraft continued to prepare for their next attack, The Sopwith and Bristol Fighter by turning to port, the D.H.4 by turning to starboard and the red Fokker by performing an Immelmann turn.

Name:	DSC02699.jpg 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	275323

The Cuttlefish moved onto its objective as the aircraft closed in from behind.

Name:	DSC02700.jpg 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	275324

As the Cuttlefish destroyed the objective the Sopwith's continued turning enabled it to fire at close range into one of the unshielded parts of the Tripods machinery. Its shots finished off the already badly damaged Cuttlefish. The other planes closed in, preparing to attack, if needed.

Name:	DSC02701.jpg 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	275325

The humans had won again!

Kazakov's anchor and chain proved an effective weapon. Whilst the white counter depicting it is useful on the plane's consul something bigger needs to be played on the table.

Thanks again go to Olly (red Fokker Triplane), Percy (Sopwith Triplane), Richard (D.H.4) and Richard (Bristol Fighter) for taking part.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-25-2019 at 22:19.

Nice Tripod AAR.

4 planes vs. the big Martin one.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Good read! I have just been going through the rule book and I can't see the scenario you describe. Can I ask where it is?

The scenario was a variation on the standard type where the Tripod has to destroy some objectives and exit the playing area at the opposite edge, William.

If you were referring to the one using the Scarab, it is the after action report called 'Enter the Scarab'.

Looks loads of fun David.
    What kind of containers do you have your card decks in? They look kind of like soap travel boxes.

Thanks! I have been going through the scenarios and was a little disappointed with just how few had variants suitable for wave 2 tripods.

Yes, Paul, I put my cards in soap travel boxes during the game. I bought some cheaply in a local shop. They are not entirely satisfactory because they are too big but they are better than nothing. I have just ordered some racks off eBay, which I hope will be an improvement. I will then use the soap boxes for counters and energy cubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Yes, Paul, I put my cards in soap travel boxes during the game. I bought some cheaply in a local shop. They are not entirely satisfactory because they are too big but they are better than nothing. I have just ordered some racks off eBay, which I hope will be an improvement. I will then use the soap boxes for counters and energy cubes.
    Another good idea. Thank you, David.

Nice game!

Nicely done David, good to see Kazakov's anchor deployed successfully in action - well done to all involved.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-19-2018, 10:25
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back - {Vagabond}
    By Vagabond in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2018, 19:11
  3. BRF OTTBE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back - by teaticket
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-15-2018, 14:13
  4. Multiplayer: WGF EF02 - Sapozhnikov Strikes Back (WGF scenario for 1 or 3 players)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 06:39
  5. Mission 9: Lotti Strikes Back! (After Some Problems With The French)
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 14:19