Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incoming WGS Solo App !

Actually while I think of it, you can just use an android emulator on PC, that's free and that will work just fine

Thank you, Florent.
    No great rush with all that goes on at this time of year.
    It will be January at the earliest for me to try it out.

Oh...wow, this looks great. So...hrm. Do I run the planes on the table for visual, but use the app to do all the chit pulling and placing? Hrm.
    I would like to try this out for sure.

Hi there,

You need to run the planes not just for the visuals, but also to mark their locations and generally to play the game. The app doesn't keep a memory of where the planes are, you need to tell the app each turn by pivoting each added AI plane and their nearest target, and then the app will compute a result that should make sense in the given context. The app will remember any damage caused to the plane such as smoke/fire/rudder/broken engine etc. and will take them into account in order to apply restrictions on the possible moves, or do some optimization (such as overdiving to extinguish a fire for example).

Hope it helps!
    Last edited by Khelz; 01-21-2020 at 13:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelz View Post
    Hi there,

You need to use the run the planes not just for the visuals, but also to mark their locations and generally to play the game. The app doesn't keep a memory of where the planes are, you need to tell the app each turn by pivoting each added AI plane and their nearest target, and then the app will compute a result that should make sense in the given context. The app will remember any damage caused to the plane such as smoke/fire/rudder/broken engine etc. and will take them into account in order to apply restrictions on the possible moves, or do some optimization (such as overdiving to extinguish a fire for example).

Hope it helps!
    That's even better! Excellent! I'm very excited now.

Actually while I think of it, you can just use an android emulator on PC, that's free and that will work just fine
    Not finding a simple "Betty Crocker" for me to install an Android Emulator on a Windows PC

i.e. it looks to be beyond my skill level.

Have you tried using the BlueStacks emulator? It works on my PC. You will find it at http://www.bluestacks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Have you tried using the BlueStacks emulator? It works on my PC. You will find it at http://www.bluestacks.com
    Thanks so much for that link, David.
    That's all I needed.

Now to figure out all the app settings
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	281003

Thicko here. Tried to find it, went on Blue Stack put in Wings of Glory and got nothing.
    rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Did you install Blue Stack, Rob?
    It took a while to install and then an even longer time to finally run.
    I think my 8-year-old Windows 7 laptop is barely able to handle it.
    I will be getting a new machine in the next month or so.

Once Blue Stack was running I was able to get the app and load it.

I can finally say “Thank you” for creating this app for WW2 which is great and getting plenty of use! I did reply to your Facebook post as well, so keep up the great work mate!

Thank you I will keep updating it with newer releases

So, I can't get Bluestacks to run on my computer. The "engine won't start". I have actually gotten it to run on my Better Half's phone, running Android 5.1.

I have tried to run the app in Android Studios, using the Virtual Device Manager, but no version of Android will run it in that environment.

So, I don't know what to do.

PS: Not running on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (running Android 9.0), nor on the old brick Acer Iconia Tab 200 (running 4.0.3)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-02-2020 at 23:56.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Florent. Started app yesterday on BoB campaign and get quickly in.
    I have also tryied to assign one Bf-110 task to attack ground target (declaring target at LVL 1) and it went for it. I only assisted in changing one turn which it planned due to target "movement" prediction imo. Have only question for suggestion how to set heading of target for ground one (static), for best performance, or if you do not plan to add checkbox for them

Actually I didn't think about the possibility to assign a ground target for a bomber. This is a great idea! I will think about adding this in the next version; thanks for the great suggestion @Grutland.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Actually I didn't think about the possibility to assign a ground target for a bomber. This is a great idea! I will think about adding this in the next version; thanks for the great suggestion @Grutland.
    It would be great to have it for bombers.

Question is what to do with fighters strafing ground targets as well.
    And how to mitigate it with current APP. As I believe that heading (orientation) of "target" has an impact on maneuvre selection "assuming" further move of a target.
    I have tryied in last mission to change orientation from left to right (peripendiculary to AI acft heading) as it appeared that AI aircraft did not descend "quickly enough" (as I would expect). Finally it made pass over in ALT 2 followed by split-S to 1 which was good.
    I have only changed proposed maneuvres when he planned turn out of target area (probably due to change in "target " heding).

Great tool anyway
    Eager to see how it will turn out in pure dogfight

Congratulations to KHELZ whose WW2 App is now promoted by Ares.
    Very useful to play solo as many gamers must stay at home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	292E6A3D-01EF-4886-89B0-8B3CDDC91532.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	284887

Now imagine if we could get missaak back, and get him and KHELZ pooling efforts with Honza...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Users Country Flag

Name
    juan luis
    Sorties Flown

Maybe a web version could be an option (if the framework generates html code)?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you David for suggesting the BlueStacks Emulator. I was able to successfully download it, and the app. Looking forward to trying it out sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thicko here. Tried to find it, went on Blue Stack put in Wings of Glory and got nothing.
    rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Did you install Blue Stack, Rob?
    It took a while to install and then an even longer time to finally run.
    I think my 8-year-old Windows 7 laptop is barely able to handle it.
    I will be getting a new machine in the next month or so.

Once Blue Stack was running I was able to get the app and load it.
    Quote Originally Posted by abovetheclouds View Post
    Thank you David for suggesting the BlueStacks Emulator. I was able to successfully download it, and the app. Looking forward to trying it out sometime this week.
    Blue Stack won't run on my machine, and their Tech Support couldn't provide a fix, without remote access to look at my set-up. That wasn't ever going to happen. So, still not able to use this App for any of the devices to which I have ready access. Darn.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Incoming!!!!
    By tikkifriend in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-07-2017, 10:15
  2. Attention SoG Players - Solo Rules and Solo Campaign
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 09:46
  3. Arizona ALERT! INCOMING ARMADA!
    By clipper1801 in forum US Wing