Ares Games

Thread: Just played with my 4 year old!

Cool Just played with my 4 year old!

So I had just gotten my load of Se5's and Pfalz's in for Australia (Rumplers and Breguets next week) and as usual, had some damaged stock. I decided to give my recently 4 year old an SE5a with damaged box knowing it was no big loss if he broke it, I always end up adding to my collection from the broken stuff. next thing I knew I was explaining the movement, I whipped out a map I had rolled up near by and we were off! We actually played with ALL the basic rules except for preplanning, I let him choose his move every turn while I pre planned 4 ahead (to save time) with 2 enemies for him to shoot at, while I also flew as his wingman. It was awesome! He flew as Dallas, I was McLaren, we flew against Holtzem Gruber and Berthold.

It was actually really good to help him learn some basic addition as the damage started flowing, but his favourite part was hitting Gruber with the BOOM card At that point Gruber was truly airborn as he failed to contain his excitement and 'blew it up'

As a result of all the fun I accidentally got him into the bath at 9pm. Whoops! Lucky my wife isn't on this forum.... she was out for the evening

I honestly thought I would be waiting till he was at least 8 years to play this game with him, but nope! We're off already!!

That's awesome! I have a 4 year old as well...don't think I'm brave enough to let her play with my toys yet.

Kids seem to have an aptitude for WoG.
    My (then) 4 year old Grandson tried it when he was down from BC last year, and couldn’t wait to have another go this Spring.

Never underestimate the children, people so often do.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Never underestimate the children, people so often do.
    1,000,000,000,000 million zillion% to the power of 103.45 agree Sam.

Wow! I am totally impressed! Nice job!

Smile

That was fantastic Even! Never too young to set them on the true path.

Will you be dispatching our orders shortly?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

Will you be dispatching our orders shortly?
    Yep, in the mail Monday morning. Only Se5's and Pfalzen so far though, the Breguets and Rumplers next week.

Looks like I will be giving my 4 year old a shot. There are planes with pink and purple camo that might satisfy her after all.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Yep, in the mail Monday morning. Only Se5's and Pfalzen so far though, the Breguets and Rumplers next week.
    Thanks Evan. I only ordered the SE's & a Pfalz so all good.

One of the great things about this game is how easy and fun it is to teach to younger players. I introduced it to my wife and daughter-they both love it. We bring it to family holiday parties and events, and younger cousins, nieces and nephews all love it too!

Name:  Start 'em early.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  169.9 KB

Yes, even 4 year old granddaughters love "Little Planes". No aptitude yet for following any rules but her own, but we sure had fun.

I was surprised to learn that children a quarter of my age could play and have so much fun, (after 1 year I am still trying to teach my father)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

My 6 year old remembers (he can't read yet) all the Mice&Mystics rules and likes to play it, but I see, that it is not good for him, as the required level of concentration and amount of rules/possibilities to consider is not appropriate for his age. Therefore he gets mental tired rapidly (~after 45-60 min.) and turns aggressive. He also don't have a sense for strategy yet. So he doesn't really play the full game. I tried X-Wing with him a few month ago, too. The result was the same.

So, in my opinion WoG isn't appropriate for children of his age. There are other games made especially for the different age evolution levels. Most "German Games" have an age recommendation, which is defined by age evolution experts. My wife and I where critical about this recommendation first, but learned, that it is almost everytime true and a perfect guess.

I also think, that children get often underestimated, but unfortunately they also get often overestimated on the wrong topics.

Good to know. There is hope for me and my one year old grandson. I have five years to get all of my stuff organized and ready to play with him. I think I might design a kids style crib card for turn sequences.

Congratulations for the fun game!
    We have several reports of 6+ years old children enjoying the game. Our official playtesters, before Wings of War - Famous Aces was released, included Mathilda from Belgium and Jim P from USA, both 6 years old. Youger ones are more rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    ...I tried X-Wing with him a few month ago, too. The result was the same.
    So, in my opinion WoG isn't appropriate for children of his age. There are other games made especially for the different age evolution levels.
    I also think, that children get often underestimated, but unfortunately they also get often overestimated on the wrong topics.
    Very true that you must not insist with "wrong" games, but this depends on each child's preferences and aptitudes IMHO. Try if you want, and desist if the child does not appreciate.

In any case, do not take X-Wing as an equivalent. I worked a lot on steamlining the basic gaming experience in Wings of War/Glory.
    To move in Wings of War/Glory, you choose three cards and use them: that's it - no dials, then rulers as in X-Wing.
    When you have to plan or move, just do that together with the others. No initiative or sequence to follow, and ties to solve. No downtime while you wait for others.
    No special actions to be made after movement.
    To fire, choose a target that takes one or two cards. No roll dice, make opponent roll dice, modify dice, compare dice, assign damage cards.
    Those in X-Wing looks like little changes from the original system, but there are actually a load of actions to do and things to remember more than in Wings.
    I call my approach to design "hidden complexity". Many details of the simulation are not any more handled by players thanks to rules, dice, tables, modifiers, exceptions, but hidden in the materials (in the shape and lenght of the arrows of maneuvre cards, in the numbers and icons on the damage cards...). This fits with people grown up with videogames that you learn to play without reading manuals - and electronic devices that you learn to use in the same way. And fits to children too, IMHO.

Here a great, funny report of a father playing with a 7 years old girl and his brother:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/291...-daughter-my-s

Just try if the kid shows interest. As this little guy from Australia:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/article/2513028#2513028

Name:  610x_WGF_Nashcon_action.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  42.9 KB
    Name:  pic752073.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  135.1 KB
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 10-24-2019 at 22:41.

My 6 year old grandson came down from BC for the weekend and couldn't wait to try Wings again.

He chose Camels against a UFAG

Didn't take long ...
    Name:  Max Victory Over UFAG.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  207.7 KB

I flew the other Camel and received the engine damage. (First time to the table for MacLaren)
    First time for that UFAG as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

...................... (First time to the table for MacLaren)
    First time for that UFAG as well ...
    Ain't that always the way?

Good to see your grandson having fun with "Wings"!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

What fun! Start them early. It's all about the memories.

the games elegant simplicity appeals to all ages.

Andrzej uses it even for playing with his old father. Yes, this games is simply to understand to all ages. And love for aviation...doesn't depend on your age

Looks as if BC is growing its own Wing then.
    Better tip off Old Guy to watch out for him.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. The Three Best Wargames you've ever played
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 13:50
  2. Anyone out there played this?
    By Dowters in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 06:27
  3. First WW2 AAR played at our Club.
    By gully_raker in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 0