Ares Games

Thread: Different Entente Crosses - is there a reason/history/story - what's the scoop?

christolockxxx

Default Different Entente Crosses - is there a reason/history/story - what's the scoop?

Gents,
    I am sure the answer will be obvious and maybe its a better google question. But as I scrolled down the page of WWI planes for sale wondering what would be a good addition to the Entente side of my collection, I couldn't help but notice three distinct types of German crosses - thin plus symbol, thick plus symbol and a more stylistic plus symbol. Is there a reason, nationality, story or painters preference reason behind these? Prussian, Austrian Turkish? I am thinking that is too easy.

Chris,
    It depends on which planes you are looking at. If they are Austria-Hungarian, they marked their planes a bit differently than German planes. Then, the Germans changed their markings, as well as having Luftstrietkraft (Army Air) and Kriegsmarine (Navy) divisions. So, it depends on what planes, and when during the war.

Name:  german_air_force_roundels_history_1913_today_by_maxhitman-d9vlh66.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  202.2 KB

PS: This isn't legible after uploading.

Try this link: www.deviantart.com - German Air Force Roundels - History - 1913 to Today
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-11-2019 at 21:40.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by christolockxxx View Post
    Gents,
    I am sure the answer will be obvious and maybe its a better google question. But as I scrolled down the page of WWI planes for sale wondering what would be a good addition to the Entente side of my collection, I couldn't help but notice three distinct types of German crosses - thin plus symbol, thick plus symbol and a more stylistic plus symbol. Is there a reason, nationality, story or painters preference reason behind these? Prussian, Austrian Turkish? I am thinking that is too easy.
    Chris, the Entente are the British, French and Russian side of the conflict.

It was the Central Powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria and Ottoman Empire that had the crosses.
    (although the Turks painted over them in a black square outlined in white)

The earlier planes had the one that looks like the Iron Cross medal, and in 1918 they changed to the simpler, straight-sided Balkenkreuz.

Handy image Mike, worth saving for reference.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Handy image Mike, worth saving for reference.
    Yes, thanks for that Mike!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you for the image!

Interesting visual reference. Thank you for sharing!

Similar Missions

1. Richthofen Crosses?
    By Dan-Sam in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 20:53
  2. the two typs of crosses
    By Traysa in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-24-2011, 11:57
  3. A lawsuit with history...of one of MvR pilots. Amazing story.
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 03:10