Ares Games

Thread: Kazakov's Anchor & Chain weapon.

Default Kazakov's Anchor & Chain weapon.

If you are a fan of Kazakov's Anchor and Chain weapon for attacking Tripods, you may like to use this picture I have put together from two separate pictures to make some counters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grapnel chain & ball2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	274638

The counters are fine for placing on an aircraft's console to mark that it is carrying Kazakov's weapon but something larger is needed out on he table. So, I re-jigged my visualization and produced an A4 sheet of cut-outs.

Name:	Kazakov's Anchor & Chainx3.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	275338

Love these Dave! Are they placed around the base of the tripod? (puts on 3D printing hat)

Oooo, these are really cool. You could snake one around a tripod's legs. If anyone can 3d print these let me know, I'd love to get a couple.

Nice one David, anchors away !

"He is wise who watches"

Looks like superb ability for Alexander Kazakov

Here are some photographs showing the Anchor and Chain with Tripods.

Name:	DSC02702.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	275566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02703.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	275567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02704.jpg 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	275568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02705.jpg 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	275569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02706.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	275570

Plastic ones would probably look better than my cardboard ones.

Great photos Dave - very inspiring!

I’m away on holidays at the moment - plenty of time for thinking and doodling.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

They look marvelous, David! I look forward to yours and others' development of the idea.

All the best,
    Matt

Luke, we have a malfunction in fire control!!! OOOPS! Wrong universe!

Seriously, awesome work! Thanks for sharing!

I have submitted the sheet of cut-outs to go into the Files section, so, if it is accepted, you can make your own.

Although it is Described as an 'Anchor and Chain' weapon, I am conscious that the 'blurb' on page 21 of the rulebook talks about steel cable. If anyone is thinking about making something out of plastic, it might be easier to draw a cable on it rather than a chain.

I suppose that, if you had the money, you could buy a 'charm bracelet' and fit an anchor charm and a ball charm to it.

When I saw this in the rules, Kosakov's Anchor, it didn't mean much more then just being part of the game. Reading an Osprey book on Russian aces of WWI there is a story about Alexander A. Kosakov and this was a tactic he used to bring down a German Albatross in 1915. He flew a MS Type G with a grapple (known as a CAT) with gun powder attached to it. He flew over the German plane but the CAT got tangled and he ended up hitting the Albatross causing it to crash. He lost his landing gear and part of the prop but managed to glide to the earth and land. He received a medal for bravery for this. So this rule is actually based on facts. Nice research on their part.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

In the early 60s, The Leach Corporation came out with a series of prints called the Heritage of the Air collection, and my dad had a bunch of them, some of which he framed for his office (he was a civilian chemical engineer for the US Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB). As a little fellow at the time, they caught my attention, and as a big fellow now, I have a number of them framed and on the walls of my man cave/inner sanctum/work room/militaria shrine...

And one of them just happens to be Kazakov and his Moraine-Saulnier with anchor...

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	279341

...each picture has an accompanying caption...

Name:	IMG_2397.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	279342

This plane is on my list of to-dos...

All the best,
    Matt

Thank you Bob and Matt for adding the historical details.

Great find and memories Matt. Now I have to get a MS and paint it for him. Here is a copy of the OSPRY book cover.

Name:	img122 (2).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	279452

Also Matt I have started on my TANKS. So far have 8 put together. Awaiting painting and decals. I did get a set of Flames decals.

Reading about his exploits is incredible. One of the first time he used the anchor/chain he ended up crashing along with his target. When Russia dropped out of the war he flew with the British and Americans fighting against the Bolsheviks. He was very depressed when the British and Americans decided to pull out leaving the Whites on their own. I've read different accounts of his death. Suicide or accident?

I was going to comment on your Anchor & Chain David. I remember you doing that fantastic post on how you made one of them. An inspiration to all.

Similar Missions

1. The WW2 Pigeon Weapon
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-14-2018, 12:53
  2. WGSF Chain Home Project
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2016, 08:21
  3. Chain Home radar system
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 9