Ares Games

Thread: My SPAD was well 'Foncked'

Default My SPAD was well 'Foncked'

Posting this to vent, more out of frustration at Ares than anything else. Unboxed the Fonck SPAD on Wednesday to use in the game and found this:

Fair enough - email with pic to Ares and see what happens. At this point I hadn't taken it out of the plastic, but when I did found that the undercart was also detached. Anyways, I get a reply from one Leonardo Rino suggesting I use "a little bit of glue on it". Err, no I don't think so. Apart from having to clean dried glue from the grooves in the bottom wing in order to get a reasonable fit, one of the pairs of struts is broken from the locating lug which would result in a fragile join. That's before I start on the prop and undercart.

I replied to Leo that was he serious about 'a bit of glue', given that it looked as if someone sat on it. also that having paid for the Kickstarter (and endured the numerous delays in fulfilment) I expected something that is fit for purpose, ready to use, not a kit!

Back comes Leo saying that he couldn't understand from the photo if is broken or de-assembled. The answer was both. However, at least he offered to replace it if "I couldn't solve it myself". Funny, I thought I was solving it myself by getting on to Ares.

Back to Leo, copy in the Ares CEO this time, saying I am more than happy to glue the odd strut back together (God knows I’ve had enough practice over the years given the quality of some of the planes), but this was beyond the joke. I asked straight out for a replacement, offering to return my flattened Fonck at their expense, should they wish to send it back to their Chinese manufacturer as an example of how things shouldn’t be done. We await developments.

I've had problems before (missing stands that sort of thing), and there has never been an issue with Ares prior to this. I'm wondering if they have had a lot of complaints about their planes, and are trying to downsize the problem by getting the punters to try to repair them themselves. Anyone else received a plane in such a state of dis-assembly?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

My Guynemer SPAD VII was missing a card from the maneuver deck, and Ares sent me an entire new plane as replacement. I've heard similar types of experiences from others over the years.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the available inventory of the Fonck SPAD may not be where it should be - they've been delayed from the general Series 1 reprint. So, in a real sense, a quick few dabs of glue may be your best bet for rapid satisfaction.

Good luck!

Well, it seems a replacement will be on its way - eventually:

From Leo - "after that photo I m agree ... totally broken
    we'll ship you in some weeks to your KS address"

Yeah, that's proper Fonked ! Mine was OK. Well I hope so as I sold it on !

"He is wise who watches"

My yellow Invasion box arrived with a bashed corner and a split up the edge. Ares kindly sent me a replacement.

Damn, never saw an Ares Games plane in such a condition...
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

As Dave (Flash) remarked to me on Saturday it was probably made either the night before or the night after Chinese New Year

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I have, only once...………………… when I dropped a Staaken onto a concrete floor!
    29 bits!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

ares seems pretty hit an miss for this sort of thing. a friend of mines b-25s had wings that came unglued; they sent him new ones. my gotha came with some pretty serious scratches on the wings near the insignia, i brought it to ares attention; they ignored me completely.

Pre-disassembled for repainting

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I was lucky as my planes and tripodes seem intact. I was dismayed at the Kickstaters update that said for broken parts please try to glue them ourselves. But remembering that I'm not surprised to read the OPs comment. However in my case the last time I tried to glue a small broken bit on a plane I ended up with glue all over the plane, wing and the piece I was trying to glue. Unfortunately for someone like me, gluing even small pieces isn't really a good option.

So, my replacement Fonck SPAD arrived today, except it turned out to be a bloody Albatros! FFS Ares, you had one job - SEND A REPLACEMENT SPAD. That's S-P-A-D, NOT A-L-B-A-T-R-O-S. How difficult is that???

I suppose I will now have to wait another month before the Ares work-experience cretin sends me something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    So, my replacement Fonck SPAD arrived today, except it turned out to be a bloody Albatros! FFS Ares, you had one job - SEND A REPLACEMENT SPAD. That's S-P-A-D, NOT A-L-B-A-T-R-O-S. How difficult is that???

I suppose I will now have to wait another month before the Ares work-experience cretin sends me something else.
    Good Grief Charlie Brown!

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard of Ares doing
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Maybe they checked the photos on Litko for reference:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190930_231225.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	275810
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190930_231238.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	275811

Honestly, they look almost like the same.

Issues I had with WGF quality, in the past:
    Richthofen D.V - warped underwing
    SS III Lang - broken rudder
    Caption CA 3 - super glue "fog" on the inner struts
    Halberstadt D.III - missing propeller
    And often dots of missplaced paints on several models.

I had to send back a Sopwith Triplane once because it had a straight top wing

So, my replacement Fonck SPAD arrived today, except it turned out to be a bloody Albatros!
    Did you get wafers with it?

Sorry, Steve, couldn’t resist.

Similar Missions

1. Converting a SPAD 13C.1 into a SPAD 12Ca.1
    By Baldrick62 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 09:59
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 06:16
  3. Wings of War SPAD XIII vs. Reveresco SPAD XIII
    By sucklingpig in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8