Ares Games

Thread: Open Cockpit Day at the Comox Air Force Museum

Default Open Cockpit Day at the Comox Air Force Museum

Today was supposed to be OldGuy59 hosting Battlestar Galactica at MidIsleCon 2019 in Nanaimo.

However, 19 Wing scheduled Rexspo 2019, to introduce newly posted-in members of the Wing's Defence Team to recreational opportunities in the military and local civilian community on the same day. The organizers of that event contacted the Museum staff and asked if they'd like to participate in some way. Well, the Museum staff thought doing an Open Cockpit Day would be a great draw, and be an awesome introduction of new members to our Museum. The plan turned out to be full regular museum staffing for normal weekend visitors, a booth at the main Rexspo hall (the base gym), and all the remaining available hands in the Air Park to conduct tours of our planes.

Comox Air Force Museum - Open Cockpit Day/

Being one of the few, if not only, CF-104 Starfighter alumni at the Museum, they kind-of needed me to help with the day. So, I gave up the BSG opportunity to share some Canadian Air Force heritage with Museum visitors.

The Museum acquired CF104731, and before putting it in the Air Park decided the NATO green/grey camo scheme was too subdued to attract attention, especially as the plane is prominently placed at the front of the park, next to the entrance. It was, therefore, painted up as CF104763, the 417 Operational Fighter Training Squadron's Colour Bird. Both planes flew in Cold Lake, Alberta when I was stationed there, and I worked on both of them:
    Name:  IMG_20190907_094804.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  238.7 KB

I optimistically brought out some umbrella chairs to rest in during the quieter moments, or to cool my heels if I was bored...
    Name:  IMG_20190907_094831.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  305.9 KB

Well, the crowd started arriving at ten AM, when the main gate was open, and the flood of people didn't let up until well after we were supposed to close everything up and leave. I didn't even get to my water bottle until noon!

Lots of pictures were taken, just not by me. We didn't do a precise head count, be the Museum Assistant Director thinks that we had many more visitors than a usual Saturday, perhaps over 200 (double our average) and is very interested in doing more events.

A pretty good day, sharing my other aviation passion with fellow enthusiasts. Just not as much fun, perhaps.

Still a good day!

PS: Not 731, but a representative paint job of what it would have looked like in the NATO green/grey scheme:
    Name:  Cf104_85475_1126033140.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  129.0 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-07-2019 at 16:45.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Great day Mike, shame about the BSG.

And a big thanks again to Donna & Yourself for giving us a wonderful start to our holiday.

In Banff at present, 5 days here, then Calgary for the last 3.

Looking forward to next year when hopefully I can make Doncaster.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

nice! i love starfighters!

Today, we had our Fall Information Session, and during that session was an AAR on the Open Cockpit Day. According to some, the estimate on attendance in the Heritage Air Park was as many as 500 people, on the day. This was based on the overview of ten aircraft with crowds around them all, waiting to get their turns. If an estimate of ten-ish people per plane per hour is even close, then, that was a very busy day.

It would explain why I didn't even have time to grab a drink or two, trying to keep groups of kids (of all ages) from climbing up the ladder at the same time:
    Name:  IMG_7391.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  102.5 KB
    Photo above is from a fellow volunteer, Alex Boyko.
    Mike

This event actually made the front page of the local newspaper.

www.comoxvalleyrecord.com - 19 Wing Comox Hosts Open Cockpit Day

There is a nice slide show, which includes a clip of the previous Volunteer Coordinator/Program Manager, Jon Ambler (ex-Wing Commander, too), giving a talk on the CP-107 Argus Maritime Patrol aircraft.

The photo at the bottom of the online article is the one that made the front page, with me standing by the CF-104:
    Name:  18429663_web1_190907-CVR-M-CVR_0154.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  184.0 KB
    Mike

One star fighter for another Mike - it's all good !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - July 2019
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2019, 08:36
  2. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - June 2019
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2019, 05:31
  3. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum