Ares Games

Thread: Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 Sept 2019

Default Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 Sept 2019

We had a fairly large crowd with seven players. Craig's son Ben showed up and we talked him into playing.

Craig brought some off his 1/144 metal tanks and lorries. He said you can tell it's a lorry because the driver is on the right side. Now you know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	274375
    So how many books are in your personal library?

AAR #1 - Dogfight We had an extremely mixed bag of airplanes for our first game. Craig flew an Albatros D.III, Baltic Bob had his Lithuanian Albatros C.III and I flew my Fokker Dr.I. Opposing us was Todd with a SPAD 7, Jim with a Nieuport 28, John with a Sopwith Triplane, and Ben with a Hanriot HD.1 Quite a mixed of paint schemes and gun firepower.

The second set of maneuvers brought airplanes close enough for combat. Jim has a very lucky shot against Baltic Bob (he is a magnet for the explosion card). His special card reads "One bullet between the eyes. You never feel it or anything else ever again." Since this happened so early and it would like the Germans at a 4 to 2 disadvantage, we let Bob respawn against the edge of the table.

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	274376

Bob is back in the thick of things.

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	274377

I set Ben on fire. Just because he is a newbie doesn't mean he gets a break.

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	274378

Jim in his Nieuport 28 hits me at close range. I draw two pilot wounded cards. I guess this is payback since it happened to him a few months back. However I also had enough damage points to take me out of the game.

Name:	IMG_0315.JPG 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	274379

Bob is the center of attention.

Name:	IMG_0316.JPG 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	274380

And now he is out of the game for the second time. It is now four airplanes against Craig in his Albatros.

Name:	IMG_0317.JPG 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	274381

However, Ben finally succumbed to fire damage.

Name:	IMG_0318.JPG 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	274382

Craig has a long range shot at Todd, who draws an explosion card. It is now two to one.

Name:	IMG_0319.JPG 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	274383

But Craig draws a fire card and goes down to accumulated damage. A fun game but very long.

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	274384

AAR #2 - Bomb run Ben and John had to leave. We tried a bombing scenario with Bob and myself flying Lithuanian Albatros C.IIIs against Todd, Jim and Craig flying Hanriot HD.1s. Bobs Albatrai had identical markings so I flew mine at three pegs and he flew at four. There were three target cards at the opposite end of the table. We picked targets and were off.

On the second set of maneuvers, Todd was able to get behind me and hit one of my bombs with a lucky shot. The resulting explosion should have caused collateral damage to Jim's silver Hanriot.

Name:	IMG_0321.JPG 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	274385

Bob and Craig got in a running gun battle as they flew parallel courses to the target. Bob's rear gunner was able to set Craig on fire, but Todd and Jim crossed the board and contributed more damage to Bob. Down he went short of the target. Todd's total damage of three just doesn't seem fair.

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	274386

Very nicely played Robert thanks for posting. Craig certainly had a good run there with 6 zero cards. Loved everything about the AAR, the British flag, the custom damage cards, and the photography. With the early demise of Bob in the first game I was reminded of a Max Headroom's policy of counting the explosion card as a zero unless the plane was on fire. That would avoid early exits.

Thumbs up

Looks like you had some great games & loads of Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Loved everything about the AAR, the British flag, the custom damage cards, and the photography.
    Craig has flags for most of the major combatants. I believe the only one missing is the Kingdom of Italy, although I could be wrong. [No sharpie for me.]

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Red face Magnet!

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    AAR #1 - Dogfight We had an extremely mixed bag of airplanes for our first game. Craig flew an Albatros D.III, Baltic Bob had his Lithuanian Albatros C.III and I flew my Fokker Dr.I. Opposing us was Todd with a SPAD 7, Jim with a Nieuport 28, John with a Sopwith Triplane, and Ben with a Hanriot HD.1 Quite a mixed of paint schemes and gun firepower.

The second set of maneuvers brought airplanes close enough for combat. Jim has a very lucky shot against Baltic Bob (he is a magnet for the explosion card). His special card reads "One bullet between the eyes. You never feel it or anything else ever again." Since this happened so early and it would like the Germans at a 4 to 2 disadvantage, we let Bob respawn against the edge of the table.

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	274376

Bob is back in the thick of things.

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	274377

I set Ben on fire. Just because he is a newbie doesn't mean he gets a break.

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	274378

Jim in his Nieuport 28 hits me at close range. I draw two pilot wounded cards. I guess this is payback since it happened to him a few months back. However I also had enough damage points to take me out of the game.

Name:	IMG_0315.JPG 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	274379

Bob is the center of attention.

Name:	IMG_0316.JPG 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	274380

And now he is out of the game for the second time. It is now four airplanes against Craig in his Albatros.

Name:	IMG_0317.JPG 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	274381

However, Ben finally succumbed to fire damage.

Name:	IMG_0318.JPG 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	274382

Craig has a long range shot at Todd, who draws an explosion card. It is now two to one.

Name:	IMG_0319.JPG 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	274383

But Craig draws a fire card and goes down to accumulated damage. A fun game but very long.

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	274384
    Some guys are “chick” magnets, I am a good mere explosion card magnet!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic Bob View Post
    Some guys are “chick” magnets, I am a good mere explosion card magnet!
    I used to be a chick magnet, but I lost my attraction.

Note: I have since picked up a Kingdom of Italy flag which is of the design used in WW1. And in honor of our friends from Down Under who regularly read Robert's AARs, I picked up an Australian flag as well (same design today as in WW1). I hope it will appear in one of Robert's future AARs. Regards, CrashCraig

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Note: I have since picked up a Kingdom of Italy flag which is of the design used in WW1. And in honor of our friends from Down Under who regularly read Robert's AARs, I picked up an Australian flag as well (same design today as in WW1). I hope it will appear in one of Robert's future AARs. Regards, CrashCraig

Some good shots of a couple of interesting games. I've said it before but your mat is my personal favourite, looks brilliant.

Sorry to have missed another good one.

Similar Missions

1. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 1 Aug 2019
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2019, 10:39
  2. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 11 July 2019
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2019, 11:27
  3. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 6 June 2019