Ares Games

Thread: British bomber

Default British bomber

I am looking for a British bomber (before HP 0/400) that would fall roughly in he same category (bomb load, endurance) as Gotha or Caproni Ca.3.
    Short bomber was underpowered and would carry just 51kg of bombs...

There wasn't one Jan - tandems carried out most of the British bombing; the biggest similar thing before the HP O/400 was the O/100 with the RNAS late 1916.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Type_O

"He is wise who watches"

Could you just restat the O/400 model and use it as an O/100?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Could you just restat the O/400 model and use it as an O/100?
    It wouldn't look quite right but that's what I'd do DB.

HP O/100 XA deck; Damage(S); 29 Health; Climb 6; Alt 8
    HP O/100 XB deck; Damage(S); 30 Health; Climb 7; Alt 7
    Last edited by flash; 11-14-2020 at 23:56.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    I am looking for a British bomber (before HP 0/400) that would fall roughly in he same category (bomb load, endurance) as Gotha or Caproni Ca.3....
    Not really a bomber, but an ASW aircraft... and saw service from Jan 1918 as opposed to April 1918 for the O/400...though the O/100 was in action a year before that...

But very comparable in size and appearance to the Gotha G.V . 400kg bombload.

The Blackburn Kangaroo. Only used from the UK over water, never on the Western Front as such.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackburn-kangaroo-c43ce677-dcd0-4e4b-bce5-776df744233-resize-750.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	294560

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for your helpful answers.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It wouldn't look quite right but that's what I'd do DB.
    Well, the Ares Gotha is a bit of a bastard, a mix of G.IV and G.V features so while it resembles both it's not quite right for either, so Ares has done more stretching than the O's already.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I've got a Handley-Page O/100 on Shapeways. It was fun trying to figure out all the subtle differences between it and the O/400 (other than the obvious changes to the engine nacelles).

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I've got a Handley-Page O/100 on Shapeways. It was fun trying to figure out all the subtle differences between it and the O/400 (other than the obvious changes to the engine nacelles).
    How about posting some pics of both models please so we can see the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    How about posting some pics of both models please so we can see the differences.
    Sure! I left off the parts that are common between the two. The O/100 has the long pointed engine nacelles, the rear gunner cutout is diamond-shaped with a single central gun post.

Name:	HPO100details.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	294589

On the O/400, the nacelles are shorter because the fuel tank is moved to the fuselage in front of the gunner, a strut is added behind each engine, the gunner cutout is rectangular with a post for the Lewis on either side, the fuselage side windows are adjusted. The cutout for the gunner on the bottom is somewhat different too, but you can't see it on these pictures.

Name:	HPO400details.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	294590

Similar Missions

1. British Medium Bomber Cards
    By Redhugh in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-26-2020, 07:59
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-26-2019, 13:56