Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - August 2019

Default Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - August 2019

Last Saturday of the Month at the Museum

I was hoping for a few people that could have made an appearance, but it ended up being Mike and I, alone again.

As Battle of Britian Sunday is fast approaching, I brought the same kit in as last time, with a few extra WWII planes as a warm-up.

Hoping for others to arrive late, Mike took the Reggiane Re.2001 CN Falco II , and I took the P-40E. Mike was undone by the damage draws, as I ended up with a total of 9 points of damage, including a bucket load of '0's. Very unfair for Mike.

The warm-up done, and nobody else had made an appearance, we went on to a Battle of Britain scenario. Mike was itching to try flying some H.111s. Plural. I dug two out of the kit, and took three Spitfires as the opposition. Looking at damage alone, it was not fair for me, and we considered the option of spawning an additional Spitfire later in the game. As it was, Mike made it over the target, and dropped a full load directly on the oil tanks. One target obliterated. He chose a secondary, as he still had a full load of bombs he could deliver. By this time, my lead Spitfire pilot was wounded, and both wingers had engine damage. The second H.111 got a partial hit on the train station, but was finally shot down. And followed quickly by one of the Spitfire wingers.

The remaining two Spits tried to gang up on the lead H.111, but the lead Spit was shortly taken down, mostly by the Aim bonus. I managed to close to short range, and hang off his tail, even stalling just enough to keep from overlapping, but that allowed for more German Aim bonus chits. My third, engine-damaged Spitfire never closed enough to add any damage to the fleeing bomber, so one bomber and crew made it back to France.

After the battle, I checked the points, and discovered that three Spitfires were more than a match for the two bombers, and that Mike had won the scenario with a handicap, not an advantage. Good flying, bombing and luck with the damage draws!

PS: A couple came in to the library, and gave the table a once-over. I said we were doing a Battle of Britain scenario, with a quick description. They asked if any Mosquitos were involved, to which I replied that Mosquitos were a bit later in the war. The lady replied that her Uncle flew Mosquitos in WWII, being lost in action. He flew the swedish shuttle and a few missions over Peenemünde.

Cool people you meet playing Wings.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-31-2019 at 17:09.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - July 2019
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2019, 08:36
  2. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - June 2019
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2019, 05:31
  3. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum
    Replies: 5