Ares Games

Thread: Scenario 8 OTT DYM: Operation Judgement - Vagabonds ride into the Valley of Death

Default Scenario 8 OTT DYM: Operation Judgement - Vagabonds ride into the Valley of Death

“What the hell is all this row about”, Uncle shouted, “you’re supposed to be pilots in the R.F.C. not in kindergarden”, it all went very quiet, Uncle as he was affectionately known rarely raised his voice, especially in the Mess. This must be something really difficult he was going to ask of us.

“C Flight are next up on the rota but as Vagabond is the only pilot still effective in C Flight I’m attaching him to B Flight for this next mission”, he turned his steely eyes on me, “you will fly with MacIver and Plaskitt-Smythe”. “Replacements are on the way to bring C Flight back up to strength but they are not going to arrive in time to partake of this jolly little jape that HQ have sent us. See me in my office in 15 minutes and I’ll go over the details of the operation”. With that he turned on his heels and was gone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	273849
    Fifteen minutes later the 5 of us marched into his office expecting the worst, there were the Twa Jocks, MacIver and MacGreggor, myself Vagabond, our ranking officer Charles Plaskitt-Smythe and his Observer/gunner Podgy Pogson. These four had been here when I arrived 8 weeks ago, they had been paired up for quite a while and worked well as a team. As the new boy even after 8 weeks I was still in awe of them, they were veterans who had survived for a long time, at least in R.F.C. terms in the dark days of late 1915 early 16.

Text relating to photo is below it.

“Right let me introduce Joseph Ryan, he’s just arrived” said Uncle.

Name:	Joseph Joe Ryan.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	273850
    “Hiya” he drawled “just call me Joe”, we all looked him over, MacGreggor was the first to speak, “we’ll just call you Ryan”, he paused, “until we’ve decided what to call you”. “Hey, no offence” Joe drawled, “I’m from the Bronx and we’re friendly folk there”. We all looked blank. “The Bronx” he repeated, hopefully, “you know in New York, the US of A”.
    “Ahh a Colonial” I blurted out, “that explains the accent”, his granite features twitched a little and I thought maybe he didn’t like to be reminded of his Colonial past. “What are you doing over here” MacIver inquired. “Well” Joe drawled as he looked me in the eye, “I thought you guy’s needed a little help, things don’t seem to be going too well for you at the moment”. “Well you could be right at that” I conceded and his face softened a little, maybe from granite to basalt, that sort of soft.

“Ok” Uncle broke in, “that’s the introductions over, and as you are all aware we’re a man down to fly 3 two seaters so Joe in spite of not even had time to unpack is going to fly on this mission with you” and he looked over at me. I swear there was a twinkle in his eye, but he kept a straight face.

Name:	001a.jpg 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	273851
    “We are to support Fort de Tavannes, the Germans are using the tunnel here” and he pointed at the map “to bring up men and supplies in the attack on the fort and we are going to close the tunnel and stop their jolly games”.

Name:	001b.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	273852
    “This is the only photo we have of the tunnel and we have good information that the cutting leading to the tunnel is between 25 and 30m deep, the intelligence suggests it’s not protected by AA guns but whoever said that doesn’t have a clue about our enemy. If it’s important to them then it will have hordes of guns protecting it, almost certainly the guns will be on the rim of the cutting and probably down in it as well.
    The Brass thinks we needed 3 flights to achieve this successfully but have informed me that 5 and 9 squadrons who should have been leading this sortie can’t provide any aircraft and so we are on our own”.

“Plaskitt-Smithe, as Flight Commander I know you would normally decide the running order but in this case I’m going to over ride you. MacIver in a FE2b will go first, Vagabond in the other FE2b will follow and you will fly the BE2c and go last”. “We need to hit this target and you are the best bomb aimer and the BE2c is the steadiest plane to enable you to get the job done”. “MacIver and Vagabond will fly interference for you”.
    Joe perked up at that, saying with a wry grin, “you’ve watched American Football Sir?” “Yes and I didn’t understand a bloody thing” was the curt response.

Name:	002 P1420437 800.jpg 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	273853
    Plaskitt-Smythe with Podgy Pogson riding shotgun, the last plane in the trio of B Flight is approaching the cutting, the other two planes are already in it.

Name:	003 P1420438 800.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	273854
    The pilot of the blue Fokker has been given instructions to “fly low and follow the road to the farm, the cutting will be straight ahead”. He saw the BE2c and then looked away to follow the road and when he looked back it had disappeared.

Name:	004 P1420440 800.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	273855
    The view from his cockpit. No sign of the enemy planes, where the hell have they gone. He is flying low, very low, following his instructions, he knows that to be able to drop into the cutting and attack the enemy he needs to fly with his wheels just off the ground, otherwise he will not be able to make the drop into the cut. Of course flying low means he can’t see the damn thing until he’s almost on top of it.

Name:	005 P1420441 800.jpg 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	273856
    If he had been flying higher, this is the view he would have had. It is a long straight cutting with near vertical sides, cut through rock, and the tunnel is at the end of it.

Name:	006 P1420443 800.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	273857
    The RFC are in the cutting, flying 12’ above the floor and keeping very, very, straight, well you can see why, they can’t move either right or left without touching a wing on the wall, it’s very, very, narrow.

MacIver is leading the way, MacGreggor his gunner is alert to the slightest danger. I’m following and Charles is bringing up the rear as ordered. All I can see is the tail of the green FE2b in front and the back of Joe Ryan’s helmet. It moves from side to side and every so often back over my shoulder, which pleases me, it shows he’s alert and has some idea what to look for and where to look for it, if only he can shoot as well I pray. I’m not turning my head looking for the enemy, all my concentration is on making sure I don’t hit the side of this trench, I thought that was by far the most dangerous thing at the moment.

Name:	007 P1420444 800.jpg 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	273858
    An AAmg opens fire and MacGreggor returns it, I’m just using 1 ruler for Mg’s and 2 for AA guns.

Name:	008 P1420450 800.jpg 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	273859
    MacIvers green FE2b flies fast towards the mg, MacGreggor and it continue to trade shots and then the mg pit explodes, MacGreggor jumps up and down, expressing satisfaction in the only way you can, when you’ve killed someone and they didn’t kill you.

Name:	009 P1420447 800.jpg 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	273860
    The Blue Fokker is getting closer to the farm but is still a long way from the cutting.

Name:	010 P1420456 800.jpg 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	273861
    Continuing the mad flight along the cutting they are fired upon by the next AAmg, but the shots stop almost as soon as they started, jam thinks MacGreggor with satisfaction, as his own bullets plough into the mg position.

Name:	011 P1420459 800.jpg 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	273862
    Closing fast MacGreggor continues to fire into the mg pit causing even more damage. +1 is for shot at same target not height advantage.

The AA gun further on in the cutting fires but it misses. Note I’m leaving previous damage tokens by the AA, so it’s not all new but a cumulative figure. AA gun and AA mg are my to distinguish the two types.

Name:	012 P1420460 800.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	273863
    As a counterpoint to the desperate fighting in the cutting, the intercepting planes continue flying along the road, the second Fokker following the first at a respectable distance.

Name:	013 P1420462 800.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	273864
    Just a shot of the village on the far side of the railway cutting, mainly because I quite liked it, there is no impact on the action.

Name:	014 P1420463 800.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	273865
    A long range view to place everyone. The Fokker’s are going to drop down in the cutting on the tail of someone fairly soon.

Name:	015 P1420467.jpg 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	273866
    MacIver has flown over the AAmg and MacGreggor fires on the AAgun further down the cut. We close on the damaged AA mg and Joe opens fire, destroying it with a well aimed burst of fire. I’m feeling slightly better about having a new gunner, Joe certainly knows what he’s about.

Name:	016 P1420476 800.jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	273867
    I can see that MacGreggor is still firing at the AA Gun in front of him when it explodes in a ball of flame.

That’s 3 down, the force is with MacGreggor, I look up and see the Fokker appear over the rim of the cutting. I bang Joe on the head and point up.

Name:	017 P1420478 800.jpg 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	273868
    The same view from above, I decided that planes outside the cutting are not able to fire into it unless tailing or right over the rim.

Name:	018 P1420480 800.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	273869
    As this is.

MacGreggor in the lead FE2b opens fire on the last AAgun, which had already fired and missed but bullets from the blue E111 sliced through their plane, causing considerable damage.
    Joe is on the ball and fires at the E111, but whether me banging him on the head has distracted him a little I don’t know because the damage seems slight.

Name:	019 P1420487 800.jpg 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	273870
    A dramatic shot as the E111 dives down into the cut, gun blazing to be met with a hail of lead from Joe Ryan.

Name:	020 P1420489 800.jpg 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	273871
    MacIver prepares to drop his bomb as MacGreggor continues to fire into the last AA gun. The blue Fokker rips into MacIvers FE2b and Joe continues to shoot up the Fokker, I just know it’s not going to end well, we are too close with no room for manoeuvre. I can see that the Fokker’s tail is in shreds from Joes firing, but otherwise there doesn’t seem to be too much damage.

If I had looked over my shoulder at this point I would have seen how far behind Plaskitt-Smithe was in the BE2c, but I didn’t, I was far too concerned with what was happening in front of me.

Name:	021 P1420492 800.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	273872
    Dropping the bomb from such a low altitude means it hits the tunnel almost instantaneously and there is a huge explosion. MacIver had already pulled the stick back and the FEE is climbing like a sick cow, when the updraft blew the plane upward, which was just as well because he was far too low to make it out of the cutting otherwise.

As soon as I see the explosion I jettison my bomb to try and give my poor plane a bit more lift to make it over the edge of the cutting myself.

The Fokker goes straight in front of us, he never made the turn into the cut, the damage to his rudder must have meant he couldn’t turn, he flies straight into the side of the cutting and explodes in a ball of flame. I heave a huge sigh of relief, I hadn’t realised I’d stopped breathing.

Name:	022 P1420493 800.jpg 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	273873
    A misleading photo, MacIver in Z for Zebra is doing a vertical climb to exit the cut and the blue Fokker has flown straight into the side wall of the cut.

Name:	023 P1420496 800.jpg 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	273874
    Even as MacIver was doing his desperate climbing turn MacGreggor and another AA mg over the tunnel mouth had been exchanging fire but as their plane reached the rim the last burst from the AA hit the engine and it started to vibrate in a most disconcerting way.

The G force from the climbing turn affected MacGreggors shooting and he had missed the AA mg 3 times.

Name:	024 P1420499 800.jpg 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	273875
    The second Fokker reaches the rim and prepares to dive down, I don’t see this but it fires at me, as Plaskitt-Smythe who also sees that the tunnel is blown drops his bomb to make the unwieldy BE2 more manoeuvrable, well more manoeuvrable than a brick. As the E111 fires at me so Pogson in the BE2 shoots up at him and the E111 bursts into flame.

The CDL Fokker is followed by a CDL Halberstdat, and behind him is another Halberstadt. Although, as yet we can’t see them.

Name:	025 P1420501 800.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	273876
    The Fokker diving into the cutting, as Plaskitt-Smythe is climbing out of it.

Name:	026 P1420504 800.jpg 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	273877
    As the BE2 pops up over the rim of the cutting the CDL Halberstadt sees it and opens fire, causing a limited amount of damage, probably due the surprise of seeing a plane rise out of the ground in front so close. Depending who you’re rooting for the good/bad news is his gun jams.

Name:	027 P1420505 800.jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	273878
    Pogson makes good use of the E111 flying into the cut and stitches bullet holes all the way along the fuselage.

Name:	028 P1420506 800.jpg 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	273879
    I’m climbing out of the cutting following MacIver as the AAmg opens fire on my plane, Joe fires back but neither seem to do any damage.

Name:	029 P1420508 800.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	273880
    Pogson continues to shoot at the CDL Fokker causing damage as well as setting it on fire.

Name:	030 P1420514 800.jpg 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	273881
    The CDL Fokker pulls up out of the cutting and the AA mg mistakes him for an Allied plane and opens fire. As well as the fire the pilot has to contend with a ruptured oil pipe and smoke as well as flames erupt from his plane.

Name:	031 P1420515 800.jpg 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	273882
    Turning to port he is directly in front of the AA mg which continues to shoot at him. Can’t they see the big black cross on the plane? Evidently not because his plane takes so much damage that it crashes into the ground right in front of the AA mg.

Name:	032 P1420522 800.jpg 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	273883
    Fortunately for the pilot he was very low and so survives the crash, but emerging from the smoke and flames sees the AA mg very close.
    He pulls his service pistol out of it’s holster and like a screaming dervish attacks the AA crew, screaming you ******, you can maybe insert your own text here. They turn and run like hell.

Name:	033 P1420512 800.jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	273884
    Going back a few seconds in the story - I have turned away from the AA mg over the tunnel and they fire but miss yet again however in their defence I imagine having a huge explosion just under you, must spoil your day somewhat.
    Joe is shooting at the AA gun just in front of us.

Name:	034 P1420509 800.jpg 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	273885
    Having an excellent position for the shot but a jammed gun the Halberstadt pilot chases after Plaskitt-Smythe in the BE2 as the AA Gun fires at the BE2.

PIC035

Name:	035 P1420513 800.jpg 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	273886
    As the AA gun on the far side of the cutting also fires at the BE2. Joe Ryan in V for Vagabo… Victor fires into the AA gun.

Name:	036 P1420511 800.jpg 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	273887
    The damage caused by the two AA guns severely maims the BE2, Plaskitt-Smythe decides he has to land or they will crash. Having just emerged from the cutting he is at a very low level in relation to the surrounding land, so is almost down anyway.

Name:	037 P1420517 800.jpg 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	273888
    Both MacIver and I bring our planes inline to attack the AA gun that has just shot up Plaskitt-Smythe, I can see he is straightening up and losing what little height he has.

Name:	038 P1420519 800.jpg 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	273889
    The CDL Halberstadt is still chasing the BE2 and still hasn’t un-jammed his gun.

Name:	039 P1420520 800.jpg 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	273890
    The BE2 has landed safely and the Halberstadt has un-jammed his gun in time to exchange fire with the 2 FE2b’s MacIvers plane is so badly damaged that he is wondering if he should follow Plaskitt-Smythe's example and land before he crashes.

Name:	040 P1420525 800.jpg 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	273891
    We break right as the Halberstadt breaks left, this is the move we need and with heads down, flying as low as possible we head for home.

Name:	041 P1420526 800.jpg 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	273892
    The clincher is when the following brown Halberstadt misjudges the situation and does an Immelmann turn and heads back the way he’d come, so neither of the two closest enemy planes can catch us, we’re home free. Hope Plaskitt-Smythe and Pogson make it ok.

Well a huge mistake over the rules in the situation when Plaskitt-Smythe got shot by the 2 AA guns. Firstly I have the BE2 as 14 damage, when I have subsequently found out it only has 10 damage. Secondly it was when I was looking at the rules to find out how he would land that I saw 2 sections that affected the situation, AA guns can’t fire at altitude 1, and they can’t fire if a friendly plane is within ˝ a ruler. Altitude 1, Neil has said they can fire so that is resolved but there was a plane within ˝ a ruler, so they couldn’t fire.

If I had allowed the AA gun to shoot and the BE2 was on fire it can’t fly straight. If it can’t fly straight it can’t land.

My resolution is to allow the BE2 to land safely and the crew to roll on the E and E table to see what happens to them, that way I get an impartial decision.

Hopefully that is OK and no one is going to object to that solution.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 08-24-2019 at 08:07.

Game 8 Butchers Bill

Name:	050.JPG 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	273893
    2Lt John VagabondRTB – no Kills

Joseph ‘Joe’ RyanRTB – 1 Kill 2 AA positions destroyed

Name:	051.JPG 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	273894
    2Lt Hugh MacIver – FRTB – No Kills

AM2 Alec MacGreggor – FRTB – No Kills 3AA positions destroyed.

Name:	052.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	273895
    Lt Charles Plaskitt-Smythe – Landed in ET – No Kills
    C&W = N/a
    E&E = Rolled 8 -1FLM -1 BEL = 6 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 3 = Skip 1 scenario

AM1 Raymond ‘Podgy’ Pogson – Landed in ET – No Kills
    C&W = N/a
    E&E = Rolled 9 -1FLM -1BEL = 7 Landed almost home – Skip 1 Scenario.

Dave if you disagree with this I’m happy to go with your decision.

Name:	053.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	273896
    Ltn Christian Rosenfeld – CDL Fokker – SD-FLM-FT – 0 Kills (maybe a couple of German AA gunners)
    C&W - Rolled 11 -2FLM = 9 Alls well when you land well. (Unless you’re the friendly gunner who did it)

ObLtn Josef Schneidwind – Blue Fokker – SD-COL-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -2COL = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2

Name:	054.jpg 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	273897
    Ltn Walter Hubrich - CDL Halberstadt – RTB – No Kills

Ltn Freidrich Dannhuber – Brown Halberstadt – RTB – No Kills

Name:	055.jpg 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	273898
    AA positions.

After Thoughts

There was a lot of discussion regarding the rules of this scenario, some of it similar to the official bombing rules for scenario 6. We look at this as a 3D game and expect it to conform to some sort of reality but once you get away from it being a 2D Card game I think as with most wargames movement/time/distance scales it all fall apart no matter how we try and rationalize them.

What I tried to do for this game was to create a scale version of the cutting, I took an Albatros D11’s wing span which is 60mm, and the real wing span is 28’, therefore 1’ = 2mm. I took 25m as the depth of the cutting so giving me 160mm in game terms.

I then built my cutting.

Name:	100 P1420546 800.jpg 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	273899

Name:	101 P1420545 800.jpg 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	273900

Name:	102 P1420542 800.jpg 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	273901
    After careful measurement I forgot to allow for the top base board which added 30mm but by that time I had the tiles and scenery in place and I wasn’t going to re-do it all for total authenticity.

Name:	103 P1420541 800.jpg 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	273902
    Part of the discussion was that Alt 1 goes up to 250m which in scale is 5’ high and that you should be able to see into the cut 90m away which is 3’ This all fell apart when I considered mg firing distances which I rated at 2’ so in reality just consider it a bit of a fancy on my part trying to portray 3d terrain to an appropriate scale for the models.

I shall not be doing this again because it caused tremendous problems moving the planes, goodness knows how MikeM carries on.

Just one final thought and that is on the plane cards I’m using.

Name:	104.jpg 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	273903
    BE2c on the left, I have XD and 14 damage points but I believe it should be XB and 10 damage points. What do you use for the Mg angle?

FE2b – I’m using the card on the right, I know that there was a pole behind the observer which mounted a Mg but I couldn’t find an introduction date so that’s why I use that one because we are in the very early days of the introduction of the FE2b. Any thoughts on the 3 cards?

Neil as I hope you can see I had loads of fun with playing the scenario but I also had a lot of enjoyment deciding how I would relate it to the game I wanted to play, taking into account it’s obvious influence, so thanks for coming up with something a bit different.

May the force be with you.
    Cheers
    Last edited by flash; 08-25-2019 at 10:32. Reason: Tally correction

Now that's a Cutting!*

* apologies to Paul Hogan

Definitely no questioning whether you are in or not.
    I shall not be doing this again because it caused tremendous problems moving the planes, goodness knows how MikeM carries on.
    And I can definitely agree with that statement. I can't imagine moving stuff around for every turn and photo op.

Yours looks terrific, John.
    I don't have anything for ground level scenarios, so am most envious of those that do.

Thanks for showing us how you did it - I don't think my back could stand the reach!

As for the scenario itself, I never thought of putting scout pilots into the two-seaters.
    (just as well given my outcome)
    You managed to have Vagabond tick off another in the list - well done!

When I saw the depth of your cutting I had a feeling things were going to be deadly - but amazingly all survived, even the Eindeckers in the trench.
    I thought they would be goners for sure. My dice need some lessons from yours.

As for the Fe.2b cards - I use the first one, although the one I have has a "J" but I use "G*"
    (Where did you find that one? - time to get my photo editing software out)
    I play it like a hybrid of No.1 and No.2 where he rear firing arc has to be at a higher target if through the tail.

For the BE.2c I use this card:

Name:	RAFBE2Strange Mount.jpg 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	273906

It takes 3 phases to move the gun to an alternate mount.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 08-24-2019 at 13:06.

Thumbs up

What a fantastic job you did with the cutting & other 3D scenery John!
    Actually your Cutting rather reminded me of the Biblical "Parting of the Sea"

Well flown mate & your kites were much luckier than mine with the AA & MG's.
    Have some Rep for a successful mission.

Re the Fe 2b cards the one on the Extreme right is correct for this time of the War.

Ten out of ten for effort John - We should call that the Vagabond Trench from now on !
    Job done, that's the main thing and the boys got home.
    Liked the 'own goal' too - I didn't play that rule as it didn't make sense to me with German gunners.

The first three plane cards are wrong as far as I'm concerned. Wrong stats on the BE, wrong arcs on the FE.
    The fourth is correct for the FE.2b front gun alone. For the rear firing arc it just needs a parallel line with arc covering the rear but is only effective against aircraft above. The FE is totally blind to the rear (confirmed with TVAL who fly one). I don't have a card (yet) but have a marked base I use.

Uncle says:

Well done lads, a very successful mission, the French chappies are well pleased with your efforts.
    Little more care with the Eagles tally - Rosenfeld was a flamer by the look of it - I adjusted it on that basis.
    If ObLtn Josef Schneidwind – Blue Fokker – flew into the wall of the cut how come he's RTB – No Kills
    I have adjusted him as a collision - and gave the victory to the Septic as he did the damage that caused the crash.

Addendum: AM2 Alec MacGreggor awarded Military Medal for his service & victories
    Last edited by flash; 08-26-2019 at 09:19.

"He is wise who watches"

Your efforts on the railroad cutting are rep-worthy in and of themselves! But there is also a bit of nice action and storytelling to go with it.

[QUOTE=Stumptonian;509865

Pete - Thanks for the info on your card, I'll see about printing a new one.

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Thanks for showing us how you did it - I don't think my back could stand the reach![/COLOR]

There were a number of issues I had that were not foreseen when I decided to do this and that was one of them.

As for the scenario itself, I never thought of putting scout pilots into the two-seaters.

I started the campaign with only 2FE2b's in the RFC knowing that my 2 DH2's would take part later, and then I acquired 2 Morane's so my FE2b's have always acted as scouts and also as Observation planes, when I discussed this with Dave before signing up he was happy that I have 2 two seater crews and also have observers for what are effectively scout pilots. It was only when my observer Cowan got WIA that I flew as a solo pilot and the reason I only have 1 kill, that's my excuse anyway. So for the time being I'm back in V for Vagabond flying with Joe.

but amazingly all survived, even the Eindeckers in the trench
    My mistake - the blue one crashed, I see that didn't get past Dave

As for the Fe.2b cards - I use the first one, although the one I have has a "J" but I use "G*"
    (Where did you find that one?

Somewhere on here, I'll look through the cards I've got and post it later hopefully with credit to it's author.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    What a fantastic job you did with the cutting & other 3D scenery John!
    Actually your Cutting rather reminded me of the Biblical "Parting of the Sea"

Well flown mate & your kites were much luckier than mine with the AA & MG's.
    Have some Rep for a successful mission.

Re the Fe 2b cards the one on the Extreme right is correct for this time of the War.
    Cheers Barry - I had some lucky draws for the AA fire, otherwise my lead plane would have gone down. My intention was to fly the 1st plane until it was badly damaged, then pull it out of the trench, with the 2nd one taking the lead roll and when that was badly damaged pulling that one out, my thought was that the last plane was the one who would drop the killer bomb, but as it turned out that wasn't necessary. It's better to be lucky than good!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Liked the 'own goal' too - I didn't play that rule as it didn't make sense to me with German gunners.

Little more care with the Eagles tally - Rosenfeld was a flamer by the look of it - I adjusted it on that basis.
    If ObLtn Josef Schneidwind – Blue Fokker – flew into the wall of the cut how come he's RTB – No Kills
    I have adjusted him as a collision - and gave the victory to the Septic as he did the damage that caused the crash.
    Thanks Dave, It was part way through the game when I remembered the German gunners would fire on monoplanes, but it sort of made sense when it popped up right in front of them and then when they shot it down it was a bit of fun with the pilot chasing the gunners off.

I completely messed up the German tally, I read Pete's comment this morning about the Eindekkers pilots getting home and I realised they hadn't but couldn't correct it until I could get the laptop fired up, so thanks for that. Goodness knows what I was thinking about with Rossenfeld, the picture with the flames consuming his plane was right in front of me. Sorry about that.

So Joe gets a Hun on his 1st outing, I think he has some potential

Thanks for digging out the link to the railway tracks for me but my printer was out of ink and I couldn't print them off.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 08-25-2019 at 12:49.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Your efforts on the railroad cutting are rep-worthy in and of themselves! But there is also a bit of nice action and storytelling to go with it.
    Thanks Sam, the hard work on creating the cutting was mine but the idea was Mrs V's, she doesn't like to take too much interest in what I do in my room but sometimes has to listen to my musings on the things that happen there. I was explaining how I would have to cut the table in half when she stated the obvious that it was already in half as it's 2 counter tops. a Dhhh moment on my part.
    Cheers

Pete
    This is the card I have but I don't know who made it, my apologies to them.

Name:	FE2b_169Sqn_1Arc Final Firing Arc not official.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	781.3 KB 
ID:	273939

Just realised it's a pgn file not a jpeg so quite big.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Pete
    This is the card I have but I don't know who made it, my apologies to them.

Just realised it's a pgn file not a jpeg so quite big.
    Thanks for that, John.
    I'll get it printed to replace my earlier version and use it as Dave indicated when it comes to the rear firing.
    I think I only ever fired over the wing at a balloon in the first scenario.
    I haven't had as much use out of my Fees and Bees as I would have liked.
    I got 3 Bristol Scouts from Hunter's Shapeways collection but have not had a chance to get them ready for combat, so doubt they will see airtime in this campaign.

What a huge amount of work and detail in that scenario of yours. Can I ask .... was the tunnel destroyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    What a huge amount of work and detail in that scenario of yours. Can I ask .... was the tunnel destroyed?
    Hi Gary
    Yep it was destroyed, I think somewhere in all that text I hope I said that, I know it wasn't in the butchers bill but to be honest I enjoy these games tremendously and it doesn't matter what the score is or who won.

Uncle added a small addendum to his report..

"He is wise who watches"

Pure bloody genius John, armour and all. Love the scenery, love the humour, so to hell with any possible errors. All part of the learning process I call it My favourite part is when the pilot of the downed german scout takes out his revolver and chases off the mg crew. The mind boggles That and arranging for another enemy scout to hit the trench wall - most inventive. As for our colonial friend - well he turned out to be a rather good shot if i remember that part correctly - I guess we'll be seeing a bit more of him in the future

REP inbound and thanks, yet again, for the entertainment.

Woah! What a trench! Love the village setting. Great run to the target and a bit of luck to take it out. Good to see the new Yank is a shooter.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-13-2019, 12:16
  2. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 8: Operation Judgement - 27 February 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2019, 09:44
  3. AAR OTT DYM Mission 8 - Operation Judgement - 27th Feb 1916---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-11-2019, 09:21
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-20-2019, 09:49
  5. Replies: 76
    Last Post: 08-14-2019, 14:45