Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dornier 17 & Ju 88 Listed in Squadron Packs on Ares Website

The official US release date of the JUNKERS JU.88 and DORNIER DO.17 is March 20th.
    Published on Ares Upcoming Products page : https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

Attachment 283126

See post #2
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

On the WoW_Nexus Yahoo user group Andrea Angiolino has given a release date of March 20th. Here is what he wrote,"

Greetings to everybody!

Four new Squadron Packs are being released on March, 20 for Wings of Glory WW2. They will be a great add to the Battle of Britain Starter Set and to any previous release of the WW2 Wings of War and Wings of Glory sets - all that has been released from the very first edition up to today is still 100% compatible, nothing is obsolete.

You can see pictures and read details here:
    https://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww2-w...squadron-packs

Junkers Ju.88 will be available in two versions, Ju.88A-1 and Ju.88A-4. Dornier Do.17 will also be released as the Do.17Z-1 bomber and the Do.17Z-10 night fighter. Special skills and equipment cards are provided in each pack.

As in previous Squadron Packs (Bf.109E, Spitfire Mk.I, Hurricane Mk.I, Ju.87 Stuka) decals are provided so that you can personalize each model. If you or your friends get several planes, you can then make a squadron with individual markings on each plane.

All the best,

Andrea"

Latest word from Ares is that the bombers will be in the warehouse March 20 and ready to ship to local distributors. The website also has previews up for both the Dornier 17 and Junkers Ju.88.

https://www.aresgames.eu/25566

https://www.aresgames.eu/25613

So we‘ll see the right before Prague.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

So we‘ll see the right before Prague.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhugh View Post
    Latest word from Ares is that the bombers will be in the warehouse March 20 and ready to ship to local distributors. The website also has previews up for both the Dornier 17 and Junkers Ju.88.

https://www.aresgames.eu/25566

https://www.aresgames.eu/25613
    My Ju-88s arrived in the mail today (oh modified rapture!) ... I have received notice that the Dorniers are on their way and should be here soon....

Can anybody check the climb and maximam altitude values?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Legend: Maneuvering deck, guns, hitpoints, number of engines, climb counters for next flight level, maximum ceiling.

Dornier Do 17 Z-1 - U, 5-6x A/A, 24, 2, ?, ?

Dornier Do 17 Z-10 - Y, BCC/AC+1-2x A/A, 26, 2, ?, ?

Junkers Ju 88 A-1 - XE, 2-3x A/A, 26, 2, ?, ?

Junkers Ju 88 A-4 - XF, 3-4x A/A, 28, 2, ?, ?

Dornier Do.17 Z-2 and Dornier Do.17 Z-7
    Climb Rate 7
    Maximum Altitude 10

Junkers Ju-88 A-1
    Climb Rate 7
    Maximum Altitude 11

Junkers Ju-88 A-4
    Climb Rate 7
    Maximum Altitude 10

Source : Andrea

Thanks for posting the information

Monse, I wanted to send you some REP, but I can't - I do it too often Thank you for the info

A few just landed, first impression is "they be small" -should have expected that having a half dozen Ju88 1/200 scale kits already. Paint and decals as expected, details are nice. Cards are very Nice! Not sure what happened to the clear bases though. Might have to get the Chain Home towers out again . . .

I have just ordered three Dorniers from Games Lore:

https://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/G...y_WW2_198.html

They have sold out of some items already but it looks as though they have some more on back order. It might be worth giving them a call. I have been buying models from them for a few years now and they are always very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Gack! Going through the mental gymnastics on doing up alternate planes, I may have to eat my words. I will need the stands and maneuver decks for the planes, whether I paint up Zvezda models or not.

It might be easier to paint a bit of an Ares plane, being that I will get all the stuff I need to put them on the table, without extra expense and work. There aren't any better Wings of War versions to be had.
    I finally have some of these in my hands. It took for-ever for a Canadian retailer to post a price on their site, and when they did, it was actually cheaper than the exchange value of the Aerodrome Accessories planes. Surprise! And, with shipping from a Canadian source, I wouldn't be chancing the Canadian Border Services fondling fees.

The verdict? Not as bad as the pictures. Not great, nor as good as the He.111s, but not any where near as bad as the Crappycanes. I will be applying paint to the planes, as I don't like the overall look, but as playing pieces they are nice planes. And I have all the bits that go with the game, so somewhat of a win.

I would like three of each type, but I have a 1/200 Zvezda model for a lot cheaper. As I usually fly these things in Kettes, I may only need stands for the wingers?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I will be applying paint to the planes, as I don't like the overall look, but as playing pieces they are nice planes.
    Do you repaint entirely or have you found a good colour match?

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Do you repaint entirely or have you found a good colour match?
    I have some paint, and will try it out. It is supposed to be the correct colors for RLM splinter camo. However, there is the problem of the light base I will be painting over. That will cause issues, I'm sure. It remains to try it and see.
    Mike

My slap-dash, lacking patience and the right paint effort:

The Ju.88, with paint applied using a 10/0 brush, directly from the container:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200725_070624_edit.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	290585
    I brushed along the leading edges from above, holding the brush angled to the center of the wings/stabilizers. The angle was supposed to keep the paint on the leading edge, and not get any on the underside. A little paint was applied over the top and back of the rudder. I touched up the cockpit area and the the engine nacelles, as well. I finished up with a few careful touches around the canopy.

The Do.17:

Name:	IMG_20200725_070923_edit.jpg 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	290586
    Same touch-ups for this plane.

Is the paint (Vallejo RLM 71 Dark Green) the right paint?

Name:	IMG_20200725_070755_edit.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	290584
    No. This close-up shows my over-slop on the rudder. You can see the darker shade on the edge, and almost to the 'X' (what should be a swastika) and a bit of overpaint near the front of the tail.

No, it isn't perfect. This was a single drop of paint and 10-15 minutes work with a brush. I'm really happy with the result, though. From tabletop distance, this is awesome compared to the glaring light blue bits I used to see.

Still, to me, not a 'ready-out-of-the-box'. But I will be very happy to put these planes on the table with the He.111s, now.

PS: Looking at the images, and enlarging them on my phone (uncompressed by the upload to the site), I am thinking that the unmixed, straight-from-the-jar Dark Green paint is closer to what I think is supposed to be the RLM 70 Schwarzgrün on this model. So, if I wanted to match the colors, I'd be looking for a lighter green than Vallejo's RLM 71 to touch-up the lighter green areas, not a darker paint for the darker areas on the planes.

PPS: There is a weird green in the junction of the tail and horizontal stabs at the fuselage. That was there out of the box, so from the manufacturer. I only touched up the leading edges here, and only used one color of paint, the darker green closer to the RLM 70 Schwarzgrün.

PPPS:
    Ju.88 Promo plane analysis and 'Out-of-the-Box' image of my plane before painting:

Name:	Ju88A-1_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS305A1Actual.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	290632

Do.17 Promo analysis and 'Out-of-the-Box' image of my plane before painting:

Name:	Do17-Z10_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS205A_Actual.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	290644
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-25-2020 at 09:25.
    Mike

Clear work, Mike.

Hello
    For my part, I received the Dornier Do 17 Z2 some time ago. As the subject is broached again I am attaching some pictures and explanations:
    Of course, there are touch-ups of paint, but other more important flaws are as follows:

Sloping front gunner canopy.

Name:	Do 17 Z2 défaut 1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	290593

Rudders mounted askew.

Name:	Do 17 Z2 défaut 3.jpg 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	290592

Leaning glued fuselage cross

Name:	Do 17 Z2 défaut 2.jpg 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	290599

After rectificationS, the model fits into my WoG collection ... And soon on the map

Name:	Dornier Do Z2 F1+FS KG76 image site.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	290600

My slap-dash, lacking patience and the right paint effort:
    Looks great! I can only imagine how much better it might look had you REALLY put in the effort! .

Great upgrading work on Ju.88 and Do.17, Mike and Chee911sc.
    Thank you for your analysis and presentation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Bomber Rules PDF now on Ares Games Website
    By Flying Helmut in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2017, 05:04
  2. ORIGINS on ARES website
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2014, 22:24
  3. RAP Errata posted on Ares Games website
    By diceslinger in forum WGF: General Discussions