Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Dornier 17 & Ju 88 Listed in Squadron Packs on Ares Website

  1. #1

    Default Dornier 17 & Ju 88 Listed in Squadron Packs on Ares Website

    So I see that the Dornier 17 and Ju 88 are now listed on the Ares website under squadron packs. Anyone have any idea when they will be available in retail stores in North America?

  2. #2

    Default

    House odds are for a 1st quarter of 2020 release.

    karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  3. #3

    Default

    I’m not sure if it’s “interesting” or concerning that the Blenheim and Sparviero aren’t listed along with the German birds....

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    House odds are for a 1st quarter of 2020 release.

    karl
    Not a bad bet. I just noticed today, they have already been pushed back to December.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    Not a bad bet. I just noticed today, they have already been pushed back to December.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  6. #6

    Default

    I posted something about this awhile back. The photos of one of the planes didn't look so good. I think it was the night fighter version of the Ju 88.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhugh View Post
    So I see that the Dornier 17 and Ju 88 are now listed on the Ares website under squadron packs.
    They are listed now both under Squadron Packs and under Special Packs with the other medium and heavy bombers.
    Squadron Packs : http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww2-wi...squadron-packs
    Special Packs : http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww2-wi...-special-packs

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhugh View Post
    Anyone have any idea when they will be available in retail stores in North America?
    Just check on the Ares Upcoming part : https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

    Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    Blenheim and Sparviero aren’t listed along with the German birds.
    They will be released in an other Serie.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    the night fighter version of the Ju 88.
    Actually it is the night fighter version of the Do.17, the Z-10 model.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25449F79-4817-4277-A479-D4A73417A0FF.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	276755

  8. #8

    Default

    Well, my pocketbook thanks having these birds come in two different series. However, I have to question the pertainance of such a decision, as it would be my opinion that the Ju-88 and Do.17 will be the more popular planes. They will be used to “attack” Britain and can be intercepted by the existing Hurricanes and Spitfires and be escorted by 109s, and Fockewolfes (although Inwould prefer the Fw-190a to the Dora that was released) and of course we have He-111s and Ju-87 Stukas to mix in as well.

    That being said, the Blenheim and Sparviero are much more niche aircraft for what we have currently for WGS. Blenheims were abundant enough to justify inclusion in the game but not really a household name. Not sure what they will add to the game beyond additional choices, I suppose. The Sparviero is a personal favorite and one that I can’t wait to add to my collection. However, I find the aircraft pairing odd. I would have preferred it come out with a Stringbag. Then we could have even more Med based fun. How Nexus/Ares have overlooked the Folgore for release for so long is beyond me? I’m sure it has to do with the precieved lack of interest in Italian aircraft....The problem has been that the Italians haven’t gotten enough aircraft to make Med scenarios plausible. As the game shifts to the Pacific, I do hope we eventually see a release or two dedicated to the Med area of operations at some point. It wouldn’t take much to flesh out....but I digress.

    So, with the context now in place.....the concern remains veiled. In short, Ares needs sales of current product to develop, produce, and bring additional product to market. I personally don’t know if the 2 aircraft in question will generate enough interest. Many collectors buy what’s out and available. I certainly hope so, and will do my part to buy at least 2 of each variant, maybe more depending on variants and paint schemes.
    Last edited by P-51D; 10-20-2019 at 11:40.

  9. #9

    Default

    I have acquired Zvezda models for the Ju.88 and the Blenheim, but haven't managed to get them put together. I was hoping not to have to paint models when Ares announced they were putting out the Battle of Britain bombers.

    Having seen the pictures of the camouflage applicques on the upcoming Ares models, I am underwhelmed. IMHO, the bombers are worse than the Crappycanes for fit and finish, and don't meet the quality level of previous releases of Wings planes. They are not 'ready out-of-the-box', but need some paint to properly finish them.

    Others can post pictures when they are released, and I might change my mind. I hope they are better than the proof models in the publicity photos.

    What am I seeing:

    Do.17:

    Partial camo appliques, like previous plane releases, so not complete coverage. Leading and trailing wing edges don't look too bad?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do17-Z10_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS205A1.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	277084

    This is actually good, but if they painted the canopy formers, could they not have painted the MGs? Small fix with a brush, but then again, more painting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do17-Z10_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS205A2.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	277085

    Ares putting out a Night Bomber lets them get away with a single color scheme, and dodge the bad camo applique issue entirely. However, they used a common canopy:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do17-Z_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS205B1.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	277083
    This is an easy knife fix, though.
    The absence of Night Fighting rules is a whole other issue, making this bomber pretty much useless, IMHO.


    Ju.88:

    The camo appliques on the Ju.88 are as bad as the Crappycane. The leading and trailing edges (Both the wings and horizontal stabs) look bad to me in this photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju88A-1_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS305A1.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	277086

    Ares can sort-of dodge the issue here, as the black undercoat doesn't have the same contrast problem as the day color scheme. It is still not good coverage:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju88A-4_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS305B1.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	277087

    To what am I comparing the above:

    Ares has produced this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS301A.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	277088
    Note: I have three of these for a full Kette, and I wanted three of each of the above day bombers for the same. Darn!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  10. #10

    Default

    Hopefully, the MGs get some paint. I am use to touching up wings edges at this point, as that issue drives me nuts. That seems to be a reoccurring issue in the latest issues. Anyone have insight on why the wing leading edges have this issue now? Cheaper to paint in less tight tolerances? O

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    Hopefully, the MGs get some paint. I am use to touching up wings edges at this point, as that issue drives me nuts. That seems to be a reoccurring issue in the latest issues. Anyone have insight on why the wing leading edges have this issue now? Cheaper to paint in less tight tolerances? O
    My understanding is that Ares has now gone to an applique process, not paint for camouflage/markings. So, the He.111 was actually painted, whereas all the newer releases (Bf.109s, Spitfires, Hurricanes, etc...) now have a basecoat (usually the underside color), and appliques for the top. If the appliques are not properly sized (as I think happened with the Crappicanes), there is a lot of basecoat showing on the upper surfaces.

    This process was supposed to be much cheaper for producing planes. I suppose not having to put a model through several different painting procedures for each color of paint would be much cheaper in labor, as well as time. Unfortunatey, the retail cost of planes in Canada hasn't gone down (now $22+), but more than doubled since Wings of War was selling planes (was around $9-ish). This is part of my frustration with buying new releases. I'd pay (and have) $25 for Wings of War Bf.109s, but I won't pay $20+ for planes I have to paint to make look as good.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    My understanding is that Ares has now gone to an applique process, not paint for camouflage/markings. So, the He.111 was actually painted, whereas all the newer releases (Bf.109s, Spitfires, Hurricanes, etc...) now have a basecoat (usually the underside color), and appliques for the top. If the appliques are not properly sized (as I think happened with the Crappicanes), there is a lot of basecoat showing on the upper surfaces.

    This process was supposed to be much cheaper for producing planes. I suppose not having to put a model through several different painting procedures for each color of paint would be much cheaper in labor, as well as time. Unfortunatey, the retail cost of planes in Canada hasn't gone down (now $22+), but more than doubled since Wings of War was selling planes (was around $9-ish). This is part of my frustration with buying new releases. I'd pay (and have) $25 for Wings of War Bf.109s, but I won't pay $20+ for planes I have to paint to make look as good.


    one wonders why a basecoat more similar to the upper surfaces isnt used so as not to be so prominent when the inevitable placement variation occurs.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    one wonders why a basecoat more similar to the upper surfaces isnt used so as not to be so prominent when the inevitable placement variation occurs.
    They had to pick one color. If they picked a color from the top camo, then they would need to use appliques on the underside, costing more time and money.

    On the Bf.109, the underside color went up over half of the fuselage, which made the applique color scheme work really well on that plane. It is one of the few that will be able to take advantage of the new method of production, IMHO.

    Possible Luftwaffe color scheme:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Art-Messerschmitt-Bf-109E-early-RLM-70-71-splinter-scheme-1939-40-02.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	277106

    Ares Bf.109:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS402A.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	277107

    One color basecoat works for this. Not so much for other planes...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS403A.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	277108
    Note: The publicity image in this case is better than the Crappycanes I've seen in person. The wing decals were at least 20% too small, and the basecoat was very visible all around the upper wings. The tail was much worse than this image, as well.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I have acquired Zvezda models for the Ju.88 and the Blenheim, but haven't managed to get them put together. I was hoping not to have to paint models when Ares announced they were putting out the Battle of Britain bombers.

    Having seen the pictures of the camouflage applicques on the upcoming Ares models, I am underwhelmed. IMHO, the bombers are worse than the Crappycanes for fit and finish, and don't meet the quality level of previous releases of Wings planes. They are not 'ready out-of-the-box', but need some paint to properly finish them.

    Others can post pictures when they are released, and I might change my mind. I hope they are better than the proof models in the publicity photos.

    What am I seeing:

    Do.17:

    Partial camo appliques, like previous plane releases, so not complete coverage. Leading and trailing wing edges don't look too bad?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do17-Z10_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS205A1.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	277084

    This is actually good, but if they painted the canopy formers, could they not have painted the MGs? Small fix with a brush, but then again, more painting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do17-Z10_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS205A2.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	277085

    Ares putting out a Night Bomber lets them get away with a single color scheme, and dodge the bad camo applique issue entirely. However, they used a common canopy:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do17-Z_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS205B1.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	277083
    This is an easy knife fix, though.
    The absence of Night Fighting rules is a whole other issue, making this bomber pretty much useless, IMHO.


    Ju.88:

    The camo appliques on the Ju.88 are as bad as the Crappycane. The leading and trailing edges (Both the wings and horizontal stabs) look bad to me in this photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju88A-1_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS305A1.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	277086

    Ares can sort-of dodge the issue here, as the black undercoat doesn't have the same contrast problem as the day color scheme. It is still not good coverage:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju88A-4_800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS305B1.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	277087

    To what am I comparing the above:

    Ares has produced this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS301A.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	277088
    Note: I have three of these for a full Kette, and I wanted three of each of the above day bombers for the same. Darn!
    Gack! Going through the mental gymnastics on doing up alternate planes, I may have to eat my words. I will need the stands and maneuver decks for the planes, whether I paint up Zvezda models or not.

    It might be easier to paint a bit of an Ares plane, being that I will get all the stuff I need to put them on the table, without extra expense and work. There aren't any better Wings of War versions to be had.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  15. #15

    Default

    I've had the 'crappycanes' (as you call them), and the rest, since 2016 and have yet to touch up the planes.
    With the Fire from the Sky campaign being resurrected, I guess I had better set up an assembly line in the near future and get 'em done.

  16. #16

    Default

    I was about to run down on the night versions (why producing night versions where there are no night fighting rules?!), but now I see they at least fit the bill, however after seeing the day versions I must wait a while to find the right words to express my discomfort and disappointment.

    All in all, we will have Lancasters (night, of course) and Dorniers (night as well) to chase them.
    I tried a game of Lancaster and a black Bf 110 chasing it in vain and it was a dreadful experience not to be repeated ever again.
    Won't try this kind of "fun" with the Dornier, no way, not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by Nightbomber; 10-21-2019 at 11:08.
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  17. #17

    Default

    Well I have been waiting for some of these for some time. The only reason would be to get the maneuver cards since I have a number of AIM Blenheims and SM-79's.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7740.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	277114

    Here are 2 Blenheims.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    I was about to run down on the night versions (why producing night versions where there are no night fighting rules?!), but now I see they at least fit the bill, however after seeing the day versions I must wait a while to find the right words to express my discomfort and disappointment.

    All in all, we will have Lancasters (night, of course) and Dorniers (night as well) to chase them.
    I tried a game of Lancaster and a black Bf 110 chasing it in vain and it was a dreadful experience not to be repeated ever again.
    Won't try this kind of "fun" with the Dornier, no way, not my cup of tea.
    Traumatic experience at Prague 2015.

    Let's talk about it in Prague 2020 with a few beers.

    PS. Don't forget the black Beaufighter & the green/black Ju88 did night bombing missions, too.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Traumatic experience at Prague.

    Let's talk about it in Prague 2020 with a few beers.

    PS. Don't forget the black Beaufighter & the green/black Ju88 did night bombing missions, too.
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  20. #20

    Default

    In general I have to say, that the quality is the same level like the published BoB starter set.

    Nothing you can't upgrade with a little bit of paint.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    All in all, we will have Lancasters (night, of course) and Dorniers (night as well) to chase them.
    I tried a game of Lancaster and a black Bf 110 chasing it in vain and it was a dreadful experience not to be repeated ever again.
    Won't try this kind of "fun" with the Dornier, no way, not my cup of tea.
    I have to ask, were the lancasters moving at high speed or low? Because those heavies should have been moving at slow.
    That would give the Bf-110s a 2" / 5.25cm speed advantage,
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  22. #22

    Mick.G's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Mick
    Location
    Victoria
    Sorties Flown
    74
    Join Date
    Feb 2018

    Default

    I was wondering/hoping that the new Ju88 and Do17 bombers would be added to the WW2 points value chart. We use the chart regularly for our tournaments and often just for casual games.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    House odds are for a 1st quarter of 2020 release.

    karl
    You’re odds are now paying out. 😂 I just saw on the Ares home page, these have been pushed back again. This time until January 2020.

  24. #24

    Default

    Not pessimistic, just experienced
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.G View Post
    I was wondering/hoping that the new Ju88 and Do17 bombers would be added to the WW2 points value chart. We use the chart regularly for our tournaments and often just for casual games.
    Mick, this sounds interesting. Would you be so kind and write something about tournament organization to another thread? We are playing just friendly games, so I'm interested in other ways

  26. #26

    Default

    You can preorder the bombers at the Aerodrome Store now.

    https://www.aerodromeaccessories.com...y/world-war-ii
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

  27. #27

    Mick.G's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Mick
    Location
    Victoria
    Sorties Flown
    74
    Join Date
    Feb 2018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Mick, this sounds interesting. Would you be so kind and write something about tournament organization to another thread? We are playing just friendly games, so I'm interested in other ways
    Hi Dan,

    We have run a couple of tournaments in Melbourne Downunder, the most recent ( a WW2 dogfight format) is still on the Australian Wing first page list. Have a look at the tournament rules we used and see if they appeal to you.

    Mick.

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    You can preorder the bombers at the Aerodrome Store now.

    https://www.aerodromeaccessories.com...y/world-war-ii

    Thanks, Sven!

    I'm holding off, because I don't want any other stuff I order (including the Viper Mk.VIIs) to be held back until the bombers are ready to be posted.

  29. #29

    Default

    I ordered them separately.

    So the Vipers will be there before the bombers show up.

    Twice shipping cost, but Aerodrome Acessoires has a great service and you get the stuff in time.


    ...by the way I ordered one of each kind.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

  30. #30

    Default

    The release date has been pushed forward into January on the Ares website. https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

  31. #31

    Guntruck's Avatar Central England Command Squadron Leader & Librarian
    Lt. Colonel

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Steve
    Location
    Right here!
    Sorties Flown
    9,970
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default

    I see they are also re-releasing bags of bomber pegs in January as well. Dare we hope that we will see bags of fighter pegs soon?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The release date has been pushed forward into January on the Ares website. https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products
    Really? January of what year?

  33. #33

    Default

    Bit of recovery time post-Christmas...………..

    Might still be able to get 'em in time for my Birthday!

  34. #34

    Default

    Well at least we might have them in time for the 80th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain next year. It would be nice if the Blenheims were available by then also.



Similar Missions

  1. Bomber Rules PDF now on Ares Games Website
    By Flying Helmut in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2017, 06:04
  2. ORIGINS on ARES website
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2014, 23:24
  3. RAP Errata posted on Ares Games website
    By diceslinger in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 03:24
  4. WGF & WGS: Ares Games website
    By Oberst Hajj in forum News and Announcements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 05:35
  5. Ares Website Goes Live Tomorrow?
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 02:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •