Ares Games

Thread: First Contact Scenario - Standard Rules

Default First Contact Scenario - Standard Rules

Played my 2nd game - the 'First Contact' scenario - using the standard rules (i.e., with smoke and the damage cards).

Instead of Albatros DV I went with Fokker Dr 1 (Jasta 11 - Lothar von Richthofen and Werner Steinhauser) since it seemed to me that slower and more manoeuvrable planes would do better. Damage points don't seem to me to matter as much as the heat-ray will either do little or a lot.

I played the Martian Locust tripod using the Dave's D8 AI charts - with substitutions of cards when it made sense with respect to all possible Martian manoeuvre options.

The Martian headed straight towards one objective with a 2nd just past it. After destroying those 2 objectives the Martian turned back to take out the 3rd objective - but never reached it. Werner Steinhauser set up directly across from the Martian; flew straight at the Martian inflicting heavy damage (fire and damage of the smoke launchers) through the front side; circled around for another shot; flew past the Martian and had Immelmanned for a 2nd run when LvR took out the Martian. LvR came in wide to the left flank of the Martian, circled in behind and took out the Martian through ablating the electro-magnetic protection and finally a close in shot wounding the Martian pilot and destroying the tripod.

The picture shows the positions at the game's end. The Martian got only two heat-ray shots off - both at Werner Steinhauser. The damage cards for the Martian - top row (2-1-5) are fire damage, the bottom row left are at +1 (LvR's last shot) and the othes are damage cards from Werner Steinhauser.

A resounding victory for the Earthlings and once again Dave's D8 charts do me (the Martian) in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TT 1st standard game.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	273681

The next game I will fly an Earthling's plane and try out the Martian solo rules.

all these T&T post action reports make me wanna shell out the money for 1 of each tripod

Quote Originally Posted by the black devil View Post
    all these T&T post action reports make me wanna shell out the money for 1 of each tripod
    The asymmetrical capabilities of planes versus tripods do make an interesting game. On the plus side one one probably won’t ‘need’ 200 or so tripods. So one of each is good and maybe an extra Locust or two.

As you say Paul, the asymmetry makes it two different types of game being played out. My first time driving a tripod was quite enjoyable but I know I have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    The asymmetrical capabilities of planes versus tripods do make an interesting game. On the plus side one one probably won’t ‘need’ 200 or so tripods. So one of each is good and maybe an extra Locust or two.
    Oops, I over bought then but thank goodness I won't need to buy any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Oops, I over bought then but thank goodness I won't need to buy any more.
    But those Martians are sneaky. You never now what new tripod variants will be in the 3rd invasion. So don't count on not needing to buy any more.

As for over buying I'm still only 2/3 of the way through using each of my airplanes at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    But those Martians are sneaky. You never now what new tripod variants will be in the 3rd invasion. So don't count on not needing to buy any more.

As for over buying I'm still only 2/3 of the way through using each of my airplanes at least once.
    Yeah me too. I have a lot of planes that haven't gotten to the table yet. Planed for both variety and the big battles but haven't gotten to everything. The good news that, for me at least, this tends to limit future purchases. I like to play what I own.

Similar Missions

1. First Contact - basic rules
    By ShadowDragon in forum T&T: After Action Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2019, 07:05
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 10:28
  3. Our Night scenario rules
    By Honza in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 00:15
  4. Replies: 24