Ares Games

Thread: Heat Ray template placement.

Default Heat Ray template placement.

Hi All

Just for clarification, asking anyone who has played the game more extensively as I have only practised moving and shooting solo.

The rules state that the heat ray template is placed either perpendicular to the tripod base or at the angle to the tripod base set by the template. I have assumed this to mean that each corner projector effectively fires in one of two directions from the tripod and the front projector one of three directions only. By this wording the heat ray does not 'sweep' between these positions to interact with the base of a target. Whilst improbable it would be possible for a target to approach a tripod between these directions and not be hit whilst seemingly withing range. Am I correct in this thinking?

Cheers
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJaySee View Post
    Hi All

Just for clarification, asking anyone who has played the game more extensively as I have only practised moving and shooting solo.

The rules state that the heat ray template is placed either perpendicular to the tripod base or at the angle to the tripod base set by the template. I have assumed this to mean that each corner projector effectively fires in one of two directions from the tripod and the front projector one of three directions only. By this wording the heat ray does not 'sweep' between these positions to interact with the base of a target. Whilst improbable it would be possible for a target to approach a tripod between these directions and not be hit whilst seemingly withing range. Am I correct in this thinking?

Cheers
    CJ
    Cameron, you are correct. Each projector is a beam, not the swath between the possible positions of the template. Yes, it would be highly unlikely to get into this position but it is possible. Now that I said this it will happen all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJaySee View Post
    Hi All

Cheers
    CJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Cameron, you are correct. Each projector is a beam, not the swath between the possible positions of the template. Yes, it would be highly unlikely to get into this position but it is possible. Now that I said this it will happen all the time!
    When I started play-testing, I used to place the rulers on the left and right projectors in three directions, not just the center-front projector. Andrea corrected me.

And during that play-testing, I did miss a lot of shots on planes because they were exactly in between placements of the rulers at certian ranges and positions.

Consider a phase in Tripods & Triplanes is two seconds of time and that the beam is a burst of energy. Also, the concept in T&T is that Martians had never considered aerial targets in their machine design (the original War of the Worlds was written before powered flight existed on Earth, and the Martians didn't bring any flying machines with them). So, the preparation and firing of the Heat-ray was never planned to hit such fast moving targets as flying machines, nor to be shooting at target not on the ground.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks for the confirmation. I guessed that it added to the difficulty to hit the planes as noted in the fluff.

Obviously more likely to happen with the big ray towards the extremity of its range but a scout heading directly in to the tripod might be lucky and get to almost short range on a good trajectory.

Cheers, CJ

To help you visualise the restrictions and resulting blind spots:
    For a small heat ray it is possible for an aircraft to close to firing range without being hit by return fire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190826_225910~2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	273978

For a large heat ray, whilst a blind spot exists, it is not possible to get an aircraft within firing range without being exposed to return fire from the heat ray:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190826_230000~2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	273979

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great pictures of the firing 'arcs' of the heat rays, Mark - each projector essentially has three 'beam positions', so there are holes in their defences. Swarming the tripods is the best way to do damage, especially if you're attacking a side with shielding.

All the best,
    Matt

Good illustration. The Front projectors have central, right and left directions so the gap between front and side projectors is well covered. The corner projectors only have perpendicular and forwards directions. (ie L template on right hand corner and R template on left hand corner.) I haven't looked fully as I only have the Mk1 tripod.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You are right, Cameron - I mistakenly thought the 'corner' H-R projectors could use all three positions. The central/front beam is the only one that can do so. The 'corner' projectors only use the straight-out beam or the 'forward angled' beam. That means the Cuttlefish would have 7 options for H-R projection, not 9 as I suggested above. And its side beams would use the smaller 'medium' range ruler, while the front beam would use the 'heavy' range ruler.

All the best,
    Matt

Like some other people who post in these forums, we always play that the pegs represent the aircraft, not the bases. (We do that to make the scale of the aircraft match the scale of the movement cards.)

As a result, though, that would create a HUGE blind spot for the Martian heat rays. Therefore, we've always assumed the heat-rays were on swivel mounts, and can hit anything between the two extremes.

Just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Eris Lobo View Post
    [...] we've always assumed the heat-rays were on swivel mounts, and can hit anything between the two extremes.

Just my two cents...
    i would think this would dramatically change the hit probability; but to me it makes better sense. How did the game balance work when you do that?

For those that play 'peg-to-peg' for shooting, I can see issues going to a 'peg-to-base' mechanic would seem a serious step backwards.

However, the Heat-ray template is a template, not an arc. It was never intended to be an arc, as that would make the Heat-rays too nasty.

Now, if you play a lot of Wings, and are really proficient in maneuver, the Tripods might need an advantage. At BottosCon, I trialed Tripods with very experienced players, and they went right at the unshielded sides. Very few shots in that game were fired at shields. Needless to say, the Tripods didn't survive.

Check how the balance works for your group. Consider that the Heat-rays are beam projectors that need to be held in a given position to fire, and be effective. The damage to planes is actually considered to be glancing hits by the super-heated air around the beam. Otherwise, the canvas and wood plane would burst into flame like a match head, with the resulting ash floating away on the breeze.

Yes, there are gaps in the 'firing arc' of the Heat-ray templates, but that is to give the rookie pilots a chance to get close enough to hit something.

Just a note: When introducing this game to new players at conventions, I told them to always shoot the Tripods, shielded, or not, as (at that time) special damage shots expended energy. Now, shots that would have inflicted big numbers cost multiple expenditures of energy, not just special damage. So, somewhere in the playtesting, it was decided that the tripods were too hard. i'm gonna have to reevaluate the game, using the official damage decks, now.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. MkIV Cuttlefish Heat Rays
    By flash in forum T&T: House Rules
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2019, 03:20
  2. I am in need of Doms Decals, squadron decal placement guides. ASAP
    By Roger Wilco in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2017, 11:12
  3. KY Wings of Glory Derby: Heat #1 & #2
    By Setarius in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5