Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MK.IV Cuttlefish Maneuver Deck error?

Also the fact that the playtest version had manoeuvres to either side is a bit of a slam dunk......

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Whaaat!! That makes no sense at all!

Good heavens, I had a deck of cards that were incorrectly die-cut in my ‘Colonies’ expansion to my ‘Terraforming Mars’ game and Stronghold Games replaced the whole deck!!
    Stronghold has good customer service and has a good reputation for good customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Roberto di Meglio has confirmed that the TD deck has no short left sideslip by design.
    Pull the other leg, it's got bells on.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Pull the other leg, it's got bells on.
    Aaaaah! You chaps are far too cynical for me - and I work in a bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Turning this on its head there is no logical reason to give an unknown and totally fictional mechanism an uncharacteristic disadvantage over its bretheren. From reading the books of HG Wells and the later interpolations I came to understand that the Tripod masters were an advanced and very technical society. They would never have allowed a transgression like this to have taken place.
    Rob.
    I thought the forgetting about the threat from bacteria and viruses was just a wee bit of a worse transgression.

A clever Martian player could use 2 wide sideslips to advantage. Plus by playing a reverse card first you can still sideslip to the left....just a step to the back and a jump to the left.

Just putting my Pollyanna hat on.

I think it‘s clear.

Simply a misprint like the missing rear firing arc of the Hannover, set sail symbol of the movement card of HMS Victory or the changed firepower of the rear and top turret of the Avro Lancaster card.

Sorry for the Martians...

I can live with it.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

The Programmers Defence. "It's not a BUG. It's a FEATURE!!"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

As I think I intimated above somewhere, I was simply surprised to learn the Cuttlefish's deck was asymmetrical - the other three tripods have different symmetrical decks and different capabilities, and there's no reason the Cuttlefish can't, as well. When one of our group played it in our monthly game two weekends ago, he didn't exclaim, "Where's the left side-step?" so it played just fine for him... I am fine with things the way they are, and I'm also fine with the in-house remedy should players choose to make the TD deck symmetrical.

As to the fictional nature of the Martians and their tripods, anything goes in my view as long as it doesn't contradict the 'historical documents' (to borrow a phrase from the movie Galaxy Quest). Wells's original novel should be our fact-check resource (if any), along with Baxter's official sequel The Massacre of Mankind (should one choose to use it as 'fact', too). But even then, Ares is certainly allowed certain artistic license when creating a game version. And if it does contradict the books on a seminal point and a player wishes to 'house rule' things, then that's fine, too.

Since Roberto says it's intentional, I assume we will learn why, perhaps, at some future date. It's always nice to understand why these sorts of anomalies exist in games, if we can...

I'm happy I have tripods to play with and repaint! Our group really enjoyed playing with them, and I am sure they will see lots more action moving forward.

All the best,
    Matt

On the Kickstarter Comment page, Ares has stated:

TD deck has a built-in asimmetry, It's a little (even if the reasoning behind is different) like the maneuvering asimmetry of the Dr.I triplane.
    No real explanation, unlike the Fokker Dr.1 (and the Sopwith Camel), that is supposed to have a "rotary engine issue".
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Could be that the Tripod has a stagger to the right because of a wooden leg. That would be just about as lame an excuse as the Ares one.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    On the Kickstarter Comment page, Ares has stated:

No real explanation, unlike the Fokker Dr.1 (and the Sopwith Camel), that is supposed to have a "rotary engine issue".
    All that is needed now is some explanation of the 'reasoning' so that the asymmetry may be continued where appropriate should any further Tripod developments appear on the field of combat.

The question arises as to why only the Cuttlefish has this “stagger”? Possibly the pilot has been on the Pangalactic Gargleblasters again?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Plus by playing a reverse card first you can still sideslip to the left....just a step to the back and a jump to the left.
    We learned in a game last night that a very effective Tripod "pattern" is the salsa dance step... sideslip forward to one side... reverse... sideslip back to the other side. You're bound to seduce a Triplane to fly into your heat-ray(s) with that dirty dance!

In any event, it's a super game. A minor thing like this is diminimus compared to the real joy and interest the Tripod variation brings to the format. My decidedly sci-fi and fantasy -leaning game group is really enjoying the addition, as am I.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    The question arises as to why only the Cuttlefish has this “stagger”? Possibly the pilot has been on the Pangalactic Gargleblasters again?
    It simply has some right wing leanings is all.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It simply has some right wing leanings is all.
    So Martians are stubbornly right tentacled?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Simples! Mars is very mountainous. The Cuttlefish comes from the Olympus Mons area therefore walking on slopes is natural. That is why one leg is shorter than the others. Bit like our Ghurkas really.

I wonder if all the Cuttlefish have no right side slips and 2 left south of the equator? Maybe the Martians didn't properly calculate the Earth's Coriolis effect for their latest and biggest tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I wonder if all the Cuttlefish have no right side slips and 2 left south of the equator? Maybe the Martians didn't properly calculate the Earth's Coriolis effect for their latest and biggest tripod?
    Does that mean the decks are different for players north of the equator?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Simples! Mars is very mountainous. The Cuttlefish comes from the Olympus Mons area therefore walking on slopes is natural. That is why one leg is shorter than the others...
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Must be related to the Haggis. That gives us the answer to combating them Gary.

Rob.

Sorry for resurrecting this topic. Has Ares said anything about this yet? Will they replace the deck?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting this topic. Has Ares said anything about this yet? Will they replace the deck?
    From all I can tell, from Kickstarter comments and email answers direct from Ares, it appears that Ares' Official Position is the deck was intended to have two short sideslips going to the right. So, no replacing the deck. It is now the deck for the foreseeable future.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    From all I can tell, from Kickstarter comments and email answers direct from Ares, it appears that Ares' Official Position is the deck was intended to have two short sideslips going to the right. So, no replacing the deck. It is now the deck for the foreseeable future.
    Seems odd to have asymmetric movement. But we can play it as released.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Seems odd to have asymmetric movement. But we can play it as released.
    As this came out of nowhere as a play-tester, and has no similarity to anything, I am firmly in the 'proof-reading error' camp. I will probably go with my 'repaired' card above.

It may come up only very rarely, but when it does, for me, it will likely feel like a poke in the eye.
    Mike

I am with you Mike.
    I will use your amended deck in my games.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I am with you Mike.
    I will use your amended deck in my games.
    Rob.
    How do you get/make the 'amended' deck?

I am going to take this card of Mike's and stick it onto the erroneous card Ken.

Rob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Q Maneuver Deck
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-01-2014, 09:53
  2. Maneuver Deck Changes
    By KirkH in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 14:39
  3. XA Maneuver Deck
    By freebird-52 in forum WGF: General Discussions