Ares Games

Thread: Aliens, reprints, now what?

Default Aliens, reprints, now what?

It’s been an interesting couple of years for our beloved WGF with lots of TaT delays and production issues. Finally, that all seems to be behind us. The series 1 reprints and new pilots are making their way around the globe and the series IV planes are just about upon us. There are rumors of yet another reprint in the near or far future for series V. So, let’s say we see series 5 next Summer....what then? What direction are they going to take the game? I have heard rumors of the balloons coming back and of a campaign book, but nothing concrete. I for one hope we get another series of aircraft that are new to the game. Hopefully, that series includes the Pups that most of us want. I have become use to the waits between sets and am happy to do so as long as we keep getting thrown some bones now and again.

Obviously, Ares needs to recoup some funds from the series 1 and 4 reprints, along with the BoB medium bombers coming this Fall for WGS. That being said, with many of the most popular aircraft back in circulation, I hope to see some more concrete intel on future products. It’s nice to hear rumblings about campaign books and balloon reprints, but it’s a whole new level of awesomeness to hear about the overarching plan.

I have been waiting since what, 2013, 2014 for the announced WGS series 7, but at least I know the overarching idea behind WGS is to flush out the BoB before moving on to the PTO. However, I can’t say that I know what the WGF strategy is. Perhaps, it was to get all the aircraft back in print. Maybe I have missed the strategy. If so, I do apologize, I am a busy man and try to keep up the best that I can.

Anyway, I know we all have our lists of aircraft we want to see and we have done many a thread discussing the merits of our desired aircrafts. However, we really have n’t discussed recently what we hope to see Ares do with the game now that TaT is nearly in the rear view mirror.

I hope to see a campaign book, a couple new series of aircraft, and London game mats based off the paper ones we got with the Giants. I think WGF has a ton of potential to still be produced for years to come. Sure, the early war planes of Series V are in desperate need of a reprint, but I am not as excited about aliens and reprints as some people. I am more than happy to wait my turn, but I would like to hear from Ares about what they hope to accomplish with the line over the next couple of years.

what we need are some novel aircraft as opposed to reprints. there are still many aircraft available from ww1 that could be produced.

Yes, a "vision for the future" would be welcome.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

I'm also curious about the next releases!

Hi all. Here is my 2cents worth. Instead of reprinting the different series do a combination of both. 12 is a good number just change the number of each. 4 new planes 8 reprints. That way new types of planes are out and new players have a chance to get the older planes. Just a thought.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by mikejr74 View Post
    Hi all. Here is my 2cents worth. Instead of reprinting the different series do a combination of both. 12 is a good number just change the number of each. 4 new planes 8 reprints. That way new types of planes are out and new players have a chance to get the older planes. Just a thought.
    But when the main target group consists of persons who already own a significant amount of planes, that would be a bad suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by mikejr74 View Post
    In order to do that they'd double their costs & then some - they'd have to make four brand new models as well as four (or did you mean eight at triple the cost) of the old models to produce the reprints. It would also severely limit the paint schemes on the new stuff. What they really need to do is produce something new that everyone will want to buy into eg series 10 full of fighters, a new balloon set, new bombers series, new Giants even !

"He is wise who watches"

Currently all that is happening is a reprint of previously released planes. What I am saying is continue reprints but instead of 3 of each type make 2 and release 2 new types of planes. This will allow the official plane list to grow while the classics will continue to be available. Otherwise, those of us that want other planes will continue to go to 3rd party companies.

There will always be a cost to adding planes. But the game won't continue to grow unless new planes and accessories are added. I know I can't be the only person out there with a complete or nearly complete collection of official planes.

I understood what you were saying Mike but from their previous responses to such suggestions that is not how their manufacturing process works. The series moulds come in fours apparently.
    Though reprints of series 2, 3 & 4 were new to Ares and very welcome, there have not been any new models for three, now going on four years. I'd like to see them get back to a new release & reprint release every year, or something close to it.
    The next reprint should be that of their first - Series 5 - the early war types, couple that with a set of new releases and they'll have a winning combo.

"He is wise who watches"

I guess it might depend on who Ares target market might be. Looking at six pages of Wings of Glory WWI planes, not counting supplies or Tripods, there are 129 Wings of Glory WWI items with only 17 models in stock; some in very limited quantities. None of these are duel packs.

But if their target is new players, then perhaps reprints and campaign books might be a priority. If Florian is right and "main target group consists of persons who already own a significant amount of planes" then reprints may seem like a wasted effort. It is at least somewhat ironic that we see posts of WoG games at conventions to raise awareness of the game, but then using planes that are out of print or Shapeways models. The ironic part is promoting and raising awareness of a game this isn't available.

I'm not complaining. It's just a thought.

[P.S.]
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The next reprint should be that of their first - Series 5 - the early war types, couple that with a set of new releases and they'll have a winning combo.
    That would be awesome.

I have mixed feelings about using aircraft from other sources at shows, on the one hand we are trying to showcase Ares' game, but with the shortage of stock we are showing that this need not necessarily be a block to new players taking it up. The main problem then becomes the unavailability of manoeuvre cards.
    My twopenn'orth is that Ares should reproduce the card only blister packs, with the addition of new aircraft cards and stats.
    Cheaper than producing new moulds, while expanding the options for players new and old

Lest we forget

You're right there will always be the modellers. I don't know how much it would expand the interests. GW has made a fortune with theirs. However it seems like a half solution, we won't/can't produce the planes you want so here are the cards. But with all of the games that have pre-painted miniatures, coming out with card only packs for unavailable planes that might limit Ares future for this game. Speaking for me, I would have never given this game a second glance. There are too many other good games (war games included) competing for my dollars in the gaming world to start card collecting for planes I have to assemble and paint.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I guess it might depend on who Ares target market might be. Looking at six pages of Wings of Glory WWI planes, not counting supplies or Tripods, there are 129 Wings of Glory WWI items with only 17 models in stock; some in very limited quantities. None of these are duel packs.
    Yes, especially the unavailability of the duel packs and often the rules itself, indicates me, that theres no trust in the potential of the game to acquire a significant amount of new players, or to satisfy the needs of a mass market or to be a mainstream game. It feels like the system is targeted only on a niche market, instead. I'm glad there are new planes and repaints, at all - Sails of Glory seems to be abounded, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    But if their target is new players, then perhaps reprints and campaign books might be a priority. If Florian is right and "main target group consists of persons who already own a significant amount of planes" then reprints may seem like a wasted effort.
    As long as the repaints have new paint schemes and additional special cards, the repaints are interesting for veteran players, too. We should differentiate in repaints and repaints with new paint schemes. The first are in fact less interesting for veteran players.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    I have mixed feelings about using aircraft from other sources at shows, on the one hand we are trying to showcase Ares' game, but with the shortage of stock we are showing that this need not necessarily be a block to new players taking it up.
    Considering we in the UK get no support from Ares, and that we are therefore showcasing their games(s) for free, I have no qualms whatsoever about using models from other sources at UK Wing events.
    Their recent decision to bypass us and appoint a separate entity as Point of Contact in the UK only reinforces my opinion.

(this is just MY OPINION!)

With regard to a "vision of the future" from Ares..............
    Considering the history of repeated vocal complaints on the Forum concerning

a) lack of available models for retail sale
    b) balance between new models/reprints produced
    c) unusual/"fringe" colour schemes produced
    d) decreasing quality of models (both structural and decal quality/size)
    e) inaccuracy of colour schemes/shades
    f) repeated slippage of release dates
    g) Kickstarter delays, and failed-to-deliver stretch goals

I would be very surprised if Ares chose to provide any information at all concerning their future plans.

If I were in their place, I certainly wouldn't.

Whatever they choose to do, folks here will surely start picking it apart right away.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 09-30-2019 at 16:49.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

What he said
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

There is another factor to bear in mind - the rising cost of the models. I was thinking the other day that, if someone asked me how much it would cost to start playing the game, a 'Rules and Accessories Pack' and two model aircraft would cost in the region of £60. This is why the two plane starter packs were so good.

I think the “what-should-happen-next” thing has been been discussed quite a bit. But, if we are speculating then game on!

From the view point of a relatively new player the company still baffles me. It is a great thing new airplanes are being produced but again without rules and dual packs you aren’t growing your base. From a business stand point that makes no sense at all. Wings seems to be the bastard step child of Ares. (Could be worse. Sails is the red-headed bastard step child!) Makes me wonder (speculating hat on) if our intrepid game designer(s) and minions are working behind the scenes to keep the game afloat. It is almost as if there is a fight quarter by quarter to keep the game running. So, be thankful ANYTHING is coming out

As for whats next, dual packs and rules (and campaigns!) would be a logical business step. Personally I want balloons!

Still all is not bleak. If you want to see how a company tanks a game just look at TT Combat and Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander. Hawk sells out and TT proceeds to shutdown the forums, kill the website, dump the demo program, and get a new distributor that refuses to sell to online shops. (And according to them the game can be ordered from their network but no one is carrying it) The game is dead in NA. That company single handedly made me decide to never again get into a game that was single source modeled.

So rejoice, it could be worse...

I personally would love to see balloons printed again. I would also love to see squadron packs. A pack of five 94th spad 13 or something of that nature. But anyways, with their current results I would be impressed if they get anything out. The game is still very popular and from what I can tell the new releases are moving off the shelves. You would think they would be more on the ball with their product lines.

Squadron packs are an awesome idea.

I have to wonder if new plane types for WWI are in the plans. Now that all of the released planes from WOW are now available in WGF, there are dozens of molds that are owned by Ares with 100s of paint schemes that can be added to the game. It’s far cheaper (and perhaps quicker?) to not have to deal with creating new molds and used tried and true molds to get product to market. Although, us diehards on this forum want every plane type produced in the war to make its way to our tables, I have to wonder if Ares feels the same way? Yes, we want the Sopwith Pup, among others, but does Ares feel that new plane types are necessary to keep the game viable and growing? I don’t know if the hassle and delays are worth it to them to continue producing new model types.

Personally, I would be a little upset to find out we wouldn’t be getting any new plane types despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of iconic and well known WWI aircraft have already been produced. It’s true the Central powers especially are running out of scouts that aren’t either a variant or very obscure. However, there is enough for a few more releases I would wager, especially if it allows us to get aircraft like the aforementioned Pup, Dolphin, and other Entente scouts.

I’m mostly rambling here in my thoughts, so I appreciate you sticking with me. It would seem a Series V reprint is a logical next step, but I am truly intrigued to see what is done after that....I won’t go as far as to say the silence is deafening, but with nothing concrete on the horizon, inquiring minds want to know. We have had rumors of a balloon reprint, series V reprint, a campaign book, etc, but I personally like to dream. Sometimes my collector side over takes my gamer side. Truthfully, all of my planes have seen the table a time or two through a draw your plane from a hat game variant I play. However, the vast majority don’t get a regular call to duty. Lots of planes to get to know at a more intiment level, while I wait and see what is yet to come.

For me, and this is just me, I have more than a few collectible games and I now tend to avoid never ending purchases. I barely got a few of Series 9, but even then I caved and got a couple extra because I had room. Do I want a Sopwith Pup? Sure! But I would only get it if in fits into my self imposed storage constraints. I finally got the Series 4 reprints that I've waited so long for, I have spaces for two (more) balloons, already own 9 tripods, and BSG on preorder. I have far more planes that I ever intended on getting and haven't gotten even half to the table.

I guess I'm saying that I'm not their target market. For me, I would say my collection is very nearly complete as it probably is going to get. Unless there is something awesome that fits in my storage box I may be done. A campaign and scenario book is absolutely the exception.

So... since I'm not their target market I wish they would target new players better. I want to meet people locally who want to play and aren't solely relying on my set, but I don't see this happening in the near future.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 10-02-2019 at 13:03. Reason: grammar

I think I have enough WGF to cover me for some time.
    The exception would be the promised balloons.
    I would like them to show some love to WGS for a while.

The 4 plane starter set should always be available, with new paint schemes for each printing. I would certainly keep buying it if I got those aircraft in new schemes each time. (And give us our black Jacobs Dr.1 already!)

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

What we need at the moment are:
    1) Sopwith Pups
    2) the awful Sopwith Triplane models to be reprinted with the top wing gap problem fixed.
    Then my life will be complete...

(mind you, an FE2 would be nice as well!).

I just looked at this thread and saw what John said about the blister packs. I have been saying this for years. My I-16's are from AIM but NEXUS did the cards for them when they had the blister packs. I picked up a few packs so have a few C & J decks for those planes. As many people have said ARES could put out blister packs and later get the models into production. The Ju 88's that are due out are a long awaited plane. But, from the pictures I have seen the one model doesn't look very good.

Similar Missions

1. Have Interstellar Aliens Found Us ?
    By NewFlyBoy in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2019, 08:12
  2. All Aliens Life Forms Please Answer the Phone....
    By NewFlyBoy in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2019, 12:15
  3. Reprints of Reprints: N vs I, II vs III etc
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-30-2014, 10:26
  4. Reprints of Reprints: N vs I, II vs III etc
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-30-2014, 10:23
  5. Off Topic Movie Review: Cowboys & Aliens