Ares Games

Thread: Hank & Bill Con !

Default Hank & Bill Con !

On Wednesday I drove 2 hours East of my home to The Portal in Manchester, Connecticut to meet my friend Hank D (who in a burst of creativity calls himself "Hank D" on this site) and our mutual friend Al P. for a full day of war gaming which we modestly named Hank & Bill Con. Our schedule for the day (after a sumptuous repast and Epicurean delight at the Golden Dragon restaurant) consisted of Wings, De Bellis Napoleonicis (DBN), and De Bellis Antiquitatus (DBA). We all agreed the first games of the day would be Wings and allow me a chance to christen the four beautiful custom painted planes I won earlier this year in the raffle on this site. Jim (rhodie 80) and Peter (Teaticket) painted these gorgeous birds:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raffle 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	272901

Here are some pictures from the game -- Al P. flew the DrI against me flying the Sopwith Camel, and Hank D flew the Fokker DVII against me in the SPAD XIII. The two British planes vanquished the two German planes in a hard fought joust.

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 17.jpg 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	272902

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 16.jpg 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	272903

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 15.jpg 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	272904

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 14.jpg 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	272905

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 13.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	272906

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 12.jpg 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	272907

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 11.jpg 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	272908

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 10.jpg 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	272909

The second game of the day pitted Hank's French against my newly completed Austrian army which I was aching to try out. I anchored my left flank with a grand battery, the center with the bulk of my infantry, and attempted to turn the French left flank on my right with my cavalry division. It was a close run thing -- two die rolls determined if I would turn the French left flank and charge into the French rear, but alas the die Gods did not smile upon me and we were repulsed giving the day to the French. Here are some photos of the action:

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 9.jpg 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	272910

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 8.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	272911

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 7.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	272913

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 6.jpg 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	272915

The final game of the day was DBA 3.0. I hadn't played DBA in a few years (and I hadn't played 3.0 at all) because several years ago there was a bitter schism in the DBA gaming community over the 3.0 revision and after decades of enjoying the game I just didn't want to get caught up in the unpleasant politics of the moment and moved on to Flames of War, then Bolt Action, before discovering the pleasures of Wings and Sails....I never looked back. I must say though, after playing the 3.0 revision, I really don't understand what all the fuss was about. I thoroughly enjoyed my game. I loaned Hank and Al some of my armies for this game. Al took my generic Italian Condotta army which was my first non-18th or 19th century army that I built back in the 1970s:

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 3.jpg 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	272918

I loaned my Low Countries army to Hank to oppose Al's Italians:

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 4.jpg 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	272919

I loaned my Later Swiss to Hank to fight against me with my Florentine Condotta:

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 5.jpg 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	272917

The Low Countries defeated the generic Condotta army in a close fight. My Florentine Condotta really took it to the Swiss (there is a Swiss cheese joke to be had here, but it is beyond me..). Here is a shot of my boys from Florence finishing off the Alpine fellas...

Name:	Hank & Bill Con 1.jpg 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	272921

It was a great day of fun and fellowship. I ran into a monsoon on the way home -- high winds, heavy rains, vibrant lightning, and limited visibility (although I swear at one point I saw Auntie Em's house fly by...). After a 3 hour ordeal I, my troops, and my beautiful new planes arrived home safe and sound.
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 08-09-2019 at 12:56.

I miss the days of gaming in different battles and concepts.
    Nice to see the prize planes on the board, and those figures of yours are exquisite.
    Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Can't give you well-deserved rep because I gave you some yesterday.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 08-09-2019 at 14:52. Reason: speelnig

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I miss the days of gaming in different battles and concepts.
    Nice to see the prize planes on the board, and those figre of yours are exquisite.
    Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Can't give you well-deserved rep because I gave you some yesterday.
    Thanks Pete !

The planes do look nice, especially the German pair but the mat you are using also looks pretty good as well.
    Sounds like the whole day was a good one.

Nice to see the new planes on the table. Which one did you fly Bill?

Is that some DBA Napoleonics going on?

Nice mix of games played.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Nice to see the new planes on the table. Which one did you fly Bill?

Is that some DBA Napoleonics going on?

Nice mix of games played.
    Hi Peter!
    Good to hear from you. I hope you are well up there in the Great North. I flew the Sopwith Camel and the SPAD XIII. Hank flew the Fokker DVII. That was a DBN Napoleonics game -- I wanted to try out my new Austrian army. Came close to turning the French flank and getting into their rear (I think I had Hank sweating on that one), but the dice failed me at a critical moment. Looking forward to seeing you at the Council of Five Nations in Schenectady.
    Be well,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    The planes do look nice, especially the German pair but the mat you are using also looks pretty good as well.
    Sounds like the whole day was a good one.
    Hi John,
    Yes it was very much a fun day. The mat part of one of the gaming tables at The Portal -- the tables are pretty cool, they are mid way between the waist and chest in height, and the outer edges even have cup holders!
    best,
    Bill

Thumbs up

That looked like a super fun filled day Bill!
    i like the idea of playing a few different games when getting together with gaming mates.
    Rep on its way!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That looked like a super fun filled day Bill!
    i like the idea of playing a few different games when getting together with gaming mates.
    Rep on its way!
    Thanks Barry !
    B.

It is good to see your prizes in action, Bill.

Similar Missions

1. 5000 posts so its my mess bill today.
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-14-2017, 05:15
  2. R.I.P. "Wild Bill" Guarnene
    By Black Sheep One in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 19:33
  3. Wild Bill Kelso
    By Tommy Z in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 20:58