Ares Games

Thread: MkIV Cuttlefish Heat Rays

Default MkIV Cuttlefish Heat Rays

There is a distinction between the two types of heat ray fitted to the tripods that denote the type of ruler deployed in the action - Heavy (red) with the longer, wider ruler; Medium (yellow) with the shorter, narrower ruler - but there is no distinction between the decks used with each weapon as the Tripods have a designated damage deck.
    Tripods with a heavy fitted use the X deck, those with a medium use a Y deck for damage caused but where fitted with both, as the Mk IV 'Cuttlefish' is, should it not use the ruler and damage deck appropriate to the weapon deployed ? ie a Y with a medium heat ray; X with a heavy..?
    An easy thing to house rule - I've asked Andrea for his thoughts, it may simply be the Cuttlefish is a most powerful beastie that chucks extra oomph out of its medium heat ray and just has the restricted arc of that weapon.

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I hope Andrea might go with the Heavy=X and Medium=Y idea, Dave, like we sort of discussed elsewhere. It seems to make sense, but your 'oomph' idea might be correct... Glad you sent the question 'up the chain'...

All the best,
    Matt

He has read the thread as well, just waiting on a reply.
    I think using the X & Y decks will make the MkIV more interesting to use.

"He is wise who watches"

In the designers intention, the firepower depends on the tripod and its inner circuits so the damage is the same in any direction. The range depends on the projectors, so it may vary in different directions.
    If you want, you can houserule that.

Thanks for that Andrea, that covers the query nicely - someone is bound to ask us at a demo game, now we have a definitive answer.

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Good to know the 'official' line, indeed! And your concession to a House Rule is fitting, too, Andrea This certainly allows for folks to go either way with things based on their preferences. I think that I will try the two different decks the next time I field the Cuttlefish, but fielding that beast really makes it tough on the humans...

All the best,
    Matt

Similar Missions

1. KY Wings of Glory Derby: Heat #1 & #2
    By Setarius in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 06:30
  2. Heat wave
    By Goering Ace in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 20:20