Ares Games

Thread: Point system for Tripods & Triplanes

Default Point system for Tripods & Triplanes

I wanted to get the ball rolling and see what people think might be some appropriate point values for not only the four different Tripods, but also for the various Martian skill cards.

As things get crystallized, this post can be edited to make it easier to reference (like with the Point Values main post for WoG WWI).

I'll throw out something to start with:
    Mk. I "Locust" Tripod -- 110 pts.

Whatd'ya think? Too high or too low?

-- Eris

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I would think you would want to 'rate' the different aspects of the tripods somehow to begin with - where does it have energy shields - where are its heat-rays - how many does it have - are they medium or heavy - where are its black smoke launchers - what is its resistance factor - what is its energy level and recharge factor - how quickly does it move/what's its movement deck like - things like that...

From a gaming perspective, depending on what sort of planes we've used in the scenario, we usually put up three planes for each tripod - that match-up seems to play pretty fairly in the games we've run at Origins. Each of the four tripods has its strengths, and the options each has for maneuver and action vary.

If I have time later today, I will see about a comparative chart of the four tripods' characteristics, although Dave/flash has already begun something of the sort in his thread dealing with tripod characteristics. Talking about them and seeing if we can come up with some sort of way to balance scenarios is a good thing.

All the best,
    Matt

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeff
    Sorties Flown

My gut reaction is "too low," as we were unable to destroy the Locust (went 0-3) with two good A-gun planes. (I think we tried the SPAD XIII twice, the Dr.I twice, the N.28, and the Sopwith Camel.)

However, that is tempered by the facts that (1) we also never lost a plane, though we did end up with some significant damage in a couple of games, and (2) we were playing First Contact, which the Martian wins by running like a coward. :-)

In other words, if we were playing a death match, I'm not sure we would have lost every game.

Similar Missions

1. The BBC goes 'Tripods and Triplanes' !!!!!
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2018, 07:54
  2. WoW Point System...
    By Greywolf in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 03:12
  3. Point System for WW2
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 23:00
  4. Point system?