Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - July 2019

Default Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - July 2019

Another Last Saturday of the Month at the Air Force Museum. This would be the first time I would run a WWII demo.

This was the set-up for the day:
    Name:  IMG_20190727_101525.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  254.8 KB

The only regular to show up was my old buddy, Mike. We did two scenarios of dogfighting, with each taking a win.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great display, as usual, Mike! Sorry the turnout was so low...

All the best,
    Matt

It doesn't help that for two of the 'regulars', Shane [Skyguy001] was in Alberta visiting relatives and friends, and Nikolas was on the road with work.

Some others that are interested either don't have their own transportation, or work Saturdays.

And I reserve Sundays for time with the Better Half.
    Mike

I can only guess that there were 2 FW190s on the table and some P51s? ...or P47s?
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I'm trying to stick in June-August 1940, so no planes past Battle of Britain. Well, that and June 1941, with P-40s in the desert, as that was where James 'Stocky' Edwards started flying (a local hero here in Comox). So, if Ares ever bring out Bf-109Fs? I can use Equipment cards for the variant, I suppose.

Anyway, the first dogfight was the Battle of Britian Starter set, two on two. My Spitfires chased away one Bf-109, but Mike had damaged one of my Spits up to 16 damage by then, and with his remaining plane sniped it down. Then, we jousted a few times with our remaining planes, trading a significant number of damage chits. I was down to a few damage points and decided to run away. Mike was in a similar condition, but he held his ground. His win!

The intention for the day was fighter sweeps to start, letting people join in as they appeared, building up to bomber runs, if we had enough players. The extra pilots didn't show up, so Mike and I tried another fighter sweep with different planes.

Second scenario was a Bf-110 and a Bf-109 versus a Vic of No. 1 RCAF Sqn Hurricanes. The first head-on pass was nasty, but where I drew all "0"s, Mike drew all the big "B" chits. This was the first time I can remember flying a formation where the Lines of Sight weren't blocked by the other planes in the formation. This had more to do with the heavy fighter base on the target, than my flying. The Bf-110 took 4 "B" chits in one turn. Down it went.
    Mike had one plane to three, almost undamaged (unknown to him), planes. The end of the scenario was Mike going down, but managing to take one plane with him.

Good dogfights, but Mike and I need more flight time with the WWII planes.
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - June 2019
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2019, 05:31
  2. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2019, 11:28
  3. British Columbia: Camp Boomer - Comox Air Force Museum Open Cockpit Day
    Replies: 4