Ares Games

Thread: Altitude Rules?

Default Altitude Rules?

[EDIT: Although MWBell addressed altitude in his own suggested House Rules, I nonetheless think this is a very important topic that Ares should, if possible, make an official ruling about, because altitude is a big thing to a lot of us.]

Did I miss something, or are there NO rules for altitude in "Tripods and Triplanes"?

As my husband and I ALWAYS play WoG using altitude rules, this is something that HAS to be addressed!!!

Should we all assume that Tripods are at Level 1?

If so, how would that affect the Martian weapons if an aircraft is at a higher altitude? How high would Black Smoke reach?

Possibly, to deal with bombers, do we want to assume that heat rays (being energy weapons) are NOT affected by an aircraft's height? Or would that make them too powerful?

Decisions, decisions ...

-- Eris
    Last edited by Eris Lobo; 07-26-2019 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Eris Lobo View Post
    [EDIT: Although MWBell addressed altitude in his own suggested House Rules, I nonetheless think this is a very important topic that Ares should, if possible, make an official ruling about, because altitude is a big thing to a lot of us.]

Did I miss something, or are there NO rules for altitude in "Tripods and Triplanes"?

As my husband and I ALWAYS play WoG using altitude rules, this is something that HAS to be addressed!!!

Should we all assume that Tripods are at Level 1?

If so, how would that affect the Martian weapons if an aircraft is at a higher altitude? How high would Black Smoke reach?

Possibly, to deal with bombers, do we want to assume that heat rays (being energy weapons) are NOT affected by an aircraft's height? Or would that make them too powerful?

Decisions, decisions ...

-- Eris
    Eris,
    I don't have my stuff, yet. However, in playtesting, I did bring up altitude, especially for Black Smoke.

I was looking at being able to pick an altitude to deploy the weapon, and planes would be affected within three levels (deployed at 3, affects levels 2-4?). Anyway, it appears that smoke is only a ground weapon, affecting up to altitude 1, or everyone if not using altitude. It was also for line of sight, for shooting, as well, but again, only at altitude 1, IIRC.

It could be that you may need to house-rule some things.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The rules state Black Smoke doesn't affect airplanes at levels 3 & 4 ergo it affects anything at levels 1 & 2.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The rules state Black Smoke doesn't affect airplanes at levels 3 & 4 ergo it affects anything at levels 1 & 2.
    Point taken on that. I realized last night I missed that during my first reading of the rules.

But that still leaves open the vertical range of heat rays. Hmm ...

-- Eris

Since the heat ray range ruler has a short range mark on it, I assume it is used the same as with altitude for airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Since the heat ray range ruler has a short range mark on it, I assume it is used the same as with altitude for airplanes.
    Hmm. If true, that would mean Tripods can't hurt anything at Level 3 or higher.

Bombing runs against tripods have suddenly become very easy, it seems ...

-- Eris
    Last edited by Eris Lobo; 07-28-2019 at 13:17.

In one of our threads someone pointed to this link:-

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-new-wave-game

Maybe we need some flying Martian vehicles like in this upcoming game?

Hmm. If true, that would mean Tripods can't hurt anything at Level 3 or higher.

Bombing runs against tripods have suddenly become very easy, it seems ...

-- Eris
    Easy ? Most people can't hit a stationary target with bombs above level two - hitting an unpredictable moving target may be nigh on impossible for them !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Easy ? Most people can't hit a stationary target with bombs above level two - hitting an unpredictable moving target may be nigh on impossible for them !
    Maybe you're right ... but I ain't most people, and I play bombers a LOT!

Now I've got this mental image of loading up all my Handley-Page and Zeppelin Staakin bombers and running a carpet bombing mission against some annoying Martians ...

-- Eris

Maybe you're right ... but I ain't most people, and I play bombers a LOT!

Now I've got this mental image of loading up all my Handley-Page and Zeppelin Staakin bombers and running a carpet bombing mission against some annoying Martians ...

-- Eris
    Without moving, Tripod plans a change direction action, and places a shielded side to the bombs. Bounce! Craters all around, but undamaged Tripod stands in the middle of them.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Then you may also want to consider whether the Martians can engage a bomb card with their heat ray !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Use of altitude rules
    By Angiolillo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 07-19-2021, 00:31
  2. California Anyone with the Altitude rules ?
    By Legendmaker in forum US Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2017, 01:27
  3. Altitude rules?
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 11-24-2016, 07:33
  4. Altitude rules
    By mike_espo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 21:56
  5. new altitude rules in Rules and Accessories Pack?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 15:12