Ares Games

Thread: Costing scheme for point-based games

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

Default Costing scheme for point-based games

I had been playing around with the ideas of point values for ships and upgrades as a way to customise squads that are somewhat evenly matched. These values have been determined without much play-testing and should be taken lightly. However, I strongly believe that FTL is a rather large advantage (even if only used twice), so Cylon ships should be costed higher than Colonial ones. The formula used gave four points for FTL presence in addition to values for structure, acceleration and attack. Subtracted points are based upon various handicaps. Even if the points are not useful for you on this document, at least the upgrade cards are listed here for convenience if needed.
    Attached Files

This is a solid start on what it, to me, the biggest barrier to more people playing this game. I think I’d put that alien spacecraft at -8, but overall this is an excellent start.

I’m going to start using these to play test and will let you know if anything seems way out of line.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

Appreciate the words and the testing. Rereading alien spacecraft and yeah, it seems quite punitive. Probably closer to -8 than -5. (Also, those sniper cards are probably over-costed as well.) Cheers.

Ash308X

This is something I have been wondering about. Thank you very much for posting this. Will try this out as and will post feedback if you would like...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

Some updates in vehicles as well as the formula for costing them and their accompanying pilots. Think this format is a bit cleaner than the first version. Again, playtesting needed. BSG_COSTING_VER3.pdf

Thank you for drawing up this list, Adam.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for drawing up this list, Adam.
    My pleasure. Made a mistake with the maths on the "rookie" so here's a minor update.

BSG_COSTING_VER_3_1.pdf

I’ve played a dozen or so games of equal cost and an unequal number of ships. So far it seems really solid.

Lots of bigger games really come down to rolls and whether or not an FTL jump completely borks your position or theirs.

Thats a great list of costs. Thanks for putting this together.

I like that second format quite a bit better.

mudvill9

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    My pleasure. Made a mistake with the maths on the "rookie" so here's a minor update.

BSG_COSTING_VER_3_1.pdf
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious but shouldn't the probability to hit rounded for the Raptor and Heavy Raider be closer to 42% than 58%? Wouldn't that 58% be the correct value if they had an attack rating of 7 instead of 8?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorAlanYoung View Post
    I’ve played a dozen or so games of equal cost and an unequal number of ships. So far it seems really solid.

Lots of bigger games really come down to rolls and whether or not an FTL jump completely borks your position or theirs.
    Hmmmm... an FTL jump that takes you completely out of the fight isn't too bad. It's when you go sideways through an asteroid belt at KE 6 that you really get 'borked'/messed up.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by mudvill9 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious but shouldn't the probability to hit rounded for the Raptor and Heavy Raider be closer to 42% than 58%? Wouldn't that 58% be the correct value if they had an attack rating of 7 instead of 8?
    It is indeed I who missed the mark here. You are correct. Another update here.
    BSG_Costing_3_2.pdf

Similar Missions

1. How about a mission based on this .
    By tikkifriend in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 00:41
  2. California Based in Alameda
    By Tokhuah in forum US Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-27-2014, 19:15
  3. New ACT based player
    By muzfish4 in forum Australian Wing