Ares Games

Thread: Differences in plane subtypes?

Default Differences in plane subtypes?

Just curious what the differences are in the various subtypes of planes are, as an example the Bregeut A2 and B2. Aesthetic, cards or anything else? I've given myself a goal of 2 of each type of plane, and I'm wondering if I get 1 A2 and 1B2, or if I need to scrounge for 2 of each...

Thanks in advance!

From memory, there's really only a difference if the sub-type makes a difference in game terms. Most aircraft there isn't (Example the Breguet 14 A.2 & 14 B.2 The A.2 was mostly the reconnaissance/two-seat fighter version, on the odd occasion, whereas the B.2 was the bomber version). Not enough difference in performance in real life to make a difference in game terms. From memory, the A.2 version doesn't even "officially" exist in the game, except as a promotional card.

OTOH, there exist both standard and rocket-armed versions of the Nieuport 11...a substantial visual difference, so there are mini's for both. And the rocket-armed versions come with optional rules cards notes for the rockets.

Standard and "comic" versions of the Sopwith 1+1/2-Strutter. Again, a substantial visual difference, and in game terms, the comic lacks a rear gunner, and has twin fixed, forward-firing guns. Again, an optional rule card to deal with the mostly awkward mounting.

Things like that.

See this related thread: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...collect+to+win

Appreciate the reply. The reason I used the Bregeut was that in the upcoming re-release of set 4, there are both A2 and B2 versions. The Breguet BR.14 A2 - Stanley/Folger (WGS212C) and then the Breguet BR.14 B2 - Escadrille Br 127 (WGS212B) and Breguet BR.14 B2 - Escadrille Br 111 (WGS212A). Visually (to me), they look the same, so I was wondering if the decks would be identical.

The was a card produced in the Nexus years that upgraded the engine on the Breguet BR.14 so that it flew on the 'H' deck, instead of the 'K'.
    This was a late war (or post-war?) plane, with one upper wing roundel and one Polish square...…………

I'm still at work (AGAIN!!!) at the moment, but I'll try to remember to dig it out when I'm at home.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
    Appreciate the reply. The reason I used the Bregeut was that in the upcoming re-release of set 4, there are both A2 and B2 versions .... Visually (to me), they look the same, so I was wondering if the decks would be identical.
    They're not, the A2 will have an H deck, the B2 will have the K deck - recon v a bomber type, they have different speeds, H being Fast; K being Average & different max alts, 14 & 12 respectively, though that is yet tbc.

"He is wise who watches"

You will also see a difference between the Billy Bishop S.E.5 and the two S.E.5a's in the same re-release. The S.E.5 uses the Fr deck (presumably the r means that the previous F deck has been modified in some way). The S.E.5a's use the N deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
    The reason I used the Bregeut was that in the upcoming re-release of set 4, there are both A2 and B2 versions. The Breguet BR.14 A2 - Stanley/Folger (WGS212C) and then the Breguet BR.14 B2 - Escadrille Br 127 (WGS212B) and Breguet BR.14 B2 - Escadrille Br 111 (WGS212A).
    Ah! Hadn't paid enough attention to that to notice. Hm, I wonder exactly what I ordered.
    But yes, as we see in the other replies, there is a difference in game terms, though not in appearance.

I already have one each of the original release.
    I thought I had pre-ordered 2 of the A2 and 1 each of the other two, but found it was 2 of the B2 with the new CDL livery and one each of the others.

Guess I will be adding another A2 when they arrive at the Aerodrome later this year ...

(and I have only used the ones I already have once or twice ...)

Gotta keep Keith in business ...

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    You will also see a difference between the Billy Bishop S.E.5 and the two S.E.5a's in the same re-release. The S.E.5 uses the Fr deck (presumably the r means that the previous F deck has been modified in some way). The S.E.5a's use the N deck.
    Hello! Se5 is slower than Se5a, so the Fr deck is basically a N deck with shorter arrows. But Se5 is also a bit worse in maneuvring than Se5a, its perfected derivation, so it has a couple more maneuvres that are steep. In short, overall the new deck is also a F deck with some more restriction. Hence the Fr name that Ares Games chose.

Thank you for explaining about the Fr deck, Andrea.

Nice to see the the SE5 and SE5a are different. I had just used the F deck with similar steep maneuvers like the N. Can't wait to see the new Fr.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Hello! Se5 is slower than Se5a, so the Fr deck is basically a N deck with shorter arrows. But Se5 is also a bit worse in maneuvring than Se5a, its perfected derivation, so it has a couple more maneuvres that are steep. In short, overall the new deck is also a F deck with some more restriction. Hence the Fr name that Ares Games chose.
    Thanks Andrea - very helpful

"He is wise who watches"

Wiki says that only 77 Se-5s were issued before the re-engined Se-5a came around.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Easy read maneuver deck differences
    By john snelling in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2018, 05:52
  2. Differences in pilots per air frame?
    By Combat wombat in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 08:40
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53
  4. Rules & Accessories Pack - the differences