Ares Games

Thread: Help required to recreate this pilots Albatros D.Va

Default Help required to recreate this pilots Albatros D.Va

Hello everyone. I have recently bought a Weber Albatros to use in an up and coming repaint project for a Jasta 7 pilot. The man in question is Uffz Eigenbrodt, And he used an Albatros D.Va during a mission on the 17th of June 1918. What I was thinking of doing is to disguise the white number one marking on the upper wing with a lozenge decal.Then to paint the fuselage black then after that has dried to apply a new late war style cross and a white capitol E for Eigenbrodt's personal markings on the fuselage. I have seen a black and white image of Uffz Paul Huttenrauch's Albatros D.Va. And I'm using that image as my guide for this new plane for my expanding Jasta 7 collection. All I want to know is what I will be embarking on would be ecceptable, or if there is any suggestions that would help me recreate this young mans aeroplane. There is a bit of artistic licence being used here as there is very little images of Jasta 7.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I think your fuselage solution should be no problem, Mark. Covering the number on the wing with lozenge decal might be a challenge, however, simply because I think it will be hard to match the colors used by Nexus/Ares with a commercially available decal. It always seems to me like the lozenge decals they use are just a bit off from what decal suppliers have available...you might be better served by trying to paint out the number with appropriate colors, more or less reproducing the lozenge colors and 'dotting' them over the number. Of course, you could re-decal the upper portion of both wings with new lozenge decals, but that might be more than you are bargaining for. Matching the colors to paint out the number may be more than you wished for, too. It's all dependent on modeling skills and what looks good to you, of course.

Good luck with the project! I look forward to seeing pictures when you finish

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I think your fuselage solution should be no problem, Mark. Covering the number on the wing with lozenge decal might be a challenge, however, simply because I think it will be hard to match the colors used by Nexus/Ares with a commercially available decal. It always seems to me like the lozenge decals they use are just a bit off from what decal suppliers have available...you might be better served by trying to paint out the number with appropriate colors, more or less reproducing the lozenge colors and 'dotting' them over the number. Of course, you could re-decal the upper portion of both wings with new lozenge decals, but that might be more than you are bargaining for. Matching the colors to paint out the number may be more than you wished for, too. It's all dependent on modeling skills and what looks good to you, of course.

Good luck with the project! I look forward to seeing pictures when you finish

All the best,
    Matt
    What he said!

I'd be tempted to paint out the number too.

Do post pictures of the finished plane, so I can copy the idea into a repaint of my own!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you Matt and Tim for your suggestion about painting out the number on the upper wing on Weber's plane. As it seems like the best option than to try and find a decal to match.

If you don't mind a little imperfection for character you could use a near match decal, or, paint job and claim it's a repair patch Mark

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Help Required
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2019, 13:20
  2. A little help required
    By Rebel in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2018, 13:27
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 09:48