Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeovil Model Show

Default Yeovil Model Show

Just a heads up at this stage.We have been invited to put on a participation game of Wings of Glory at Yeovil Model Show. This is a repeat of the event held earlier this year.
    Date: 26th October 2019
    Time: One day event from 10.00am to 4.00pm
    Venue - Bucklers Mead Acadamy & LED Leisure, Yeovil BA21 4NH.

Its early days I know, but if you think you could attend let me know and I'll go ahead and fill in their application form.

Cheers

Mike

PS Its now on the calendar

Apologies all, Ken from YMS did email me but I’ve been so caught up in other stuff I completely forgot to post here to gauge interest.

Unfortunately I already have other commitments around then, so can’t be in attendance myself. Thank you Mike for stepping up and offering to coordinate, appreciated.

- Neil.

Possible..............

I'll confirm one way or the other nearer the time.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Cheers Tim. No Prob Neil - pity you cannot make it. I'll whack in the application form and see what happens

Hi Mike,
    I have put this in diary and expect to be available

Rob

Cheers Rob. Bye the way, I completely forgot to hand back your book via Dave. Sorry. He did mention he was going to be seeing you! I'll bring it along to the next Yeovil show, unless you'd like to PM me your address, in which case I'll post it. Thanks for that. It was a good read - and I have another one for you to read in exchange
    Chau for now,
    Mike

I might be able to make it but will let you know nearer the date.

Just a heads up.

The application form has gone in - I just went for the three 2' x 4' tables that were on offer and said we'd provide a WW1 participation game. That isn't in tablets of stone if someone wants to do something different, but I'll bring along the WW1 kit if nobody advises otherwise.
    There are five wristbands available and so far the replies / possibles I know about are Tim, Rob, Don and myself.

I'll add to this thread again nearer the time, when hopefully everyone will have a better idea of whether or not they can commit.

Chau for now,
    Mike

Good man.
    Keep up the good work Flight Leader.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Evening all - now I have just about come back down to earth, following the weekend jaunt to Doncaster, I find it is time to put out a reminder that the Yeovil Model Show is just three and a half weeks away. I've got down on my list : Myself and Rob (Rabscallion), with Tim (Flying Helmut) and Don (Burt) as possibles. I know about Tim, but could Rob and Burt please confirm, one way or the other, as soon as you are able to. It would be good to know. No pressure - a weeks notice is enough for me to get my head around the thing
    Anybody else able to make it on the 26th would be more than welcome but I'd appreciate a heads up.

Tim, as and when buddy, but in the meantime I'll plan to take along enough kit for a scout dogfight and a light bombing mission type of participation scenario. I'll leave it all in the boot of my car if you do make it. Wouldn't want you to carry all your gear down to Yeovil for nothing
    Rob, I've been carrying your book around in the boot of my car for so long now I'm liable to forget to give it back Please give me a reminder. I have another for you to read by way of thanks - just hope you haven't already read it.
    Chau for now,
    Mike

I'm still good to go Mike. Let me know if I need to bring anything

Hi Mike, don't know how I missed this one before - I should be able to make it barring family interference...!

"He is wise who watches"

Rob, Dave that's brilliant. Look forward to seeing you there. No need to bring anything along, unless you particularly want to (e.g. a favourite aircraft). If Tim makes it he has everything you could possibly wish for. Otherwise, I have all the necessaries
    Chau for now,
    Mike

Still up in the air at the moment...………….

Indeed, I'm slated to work the Saturday of Flight Club in 10 days time, and am having trouble clearing that one first!

Will endeavour to persevere!

Cheers Tim - it would be great to see you there but real life has to take priority huh! Hope you can make it one way or another. Keep in touch

I am now available for this event if you need any more volunteers to help out?

I've only just seen these thread. Is it too late to step up?

I am now available for this event if you need any more volunteers to help out?
    Been away for a few days, so only just seen this one. Andy we'd be only too pleased to see you there. The more the merrier

I've only just seen these thread. Is it too late to step up?
    Same goes for you Alex. Be a pleasure to meet you there

That makes five possibly six of us, which is good because it means we can have plenty of time for breaks in which to see the show ourselves

So we are now just 12 days away - time to give out some more details. The following is a copy of an e mail I received from Ken Bugler, the organiser I am in contact with:

"Welcome to YEOVIL MODEL SHOW
    26/10/2019 at Bucklers mead academy and led leisure
    Thank you for your interest in Yeovil model show I have had a fantastic response from clubs and traders, without you this would not be happening.
    I am pleased to let you know your stand will be in the sports sub hall and you need the front entrance. Wristbands can be collected on the day from the door.
    Open from 7.30 am till 6.00 pm (There will be no one at the Academy until 7.30 to let us in) Open to public 10.00 am till 4.00 pm Bacon/sausage butties from 8.15 am Please be set up by 9.45 am Please do not dismantle stand till after 4.00 pm
    To help with parking it would be very helpful if after unloading those who are staying all day and don’t mind being blocked in, could park on the academy service roads to keep the car parks as clear as possible.
    At the end of the day I would also be grateful if the clubs in the sports hall could put their tables under the covered walkway as last year. Thank you in advance and see you on the day.
    How to get to bucklers mead academy and sports centre
    A note on the address of the academy it is 1 St john’s road but the St john’s road entrance is now not in use. There are now 2 entrances with 2 car parks and 2 post codes. You will be in the sports hall or sports hall extension please head for the front entrance BA21 4FE. If you are in one of the other halls please head for the back entrance BA21 4NH

From Dorchester
    Take the A 37 to Yeovil then you get to the roundabout at the top of Hendford hill (the quicksilver mail pub is directly in front of you ) take the 2nd exit down the hill A30 at the bottom of the hill at roundabout take the 2nd exit A30 along the duel carriageway to the next roundabout ( hospital in front of you ) take the 1st exit A37 at next roundabout take 3rd exit A359 toward Mudford at top off hill bear right about 300 yards by the co-op turn right into St Michaels avenue
    For the back entrance turn 1st left into Tower road follow the road to the bottom (yes it says a dead end) turn right the school gates are 50 yards in front of you through the gates there is a car park on the left if you have good to unload you can carry on past the building to the halls you can then park and unload next to the halls.
    For the front entrance turn 2nd left into Givele close BA21 4FE bear right you will see the academy on the left and the car park is just inside the gates.
    From Sherborne
    Take the A30 to Yeovil at the bottom of Babylon hill at the roundabout take the 2nd exit A30 into Yeovil past the pen mill hotel on your right to the traffic lights turn right in to Lyde road follow Lyde road to a roundabout take the 1st exit go to the end of Lyde road at its junction with the A359 Mudford road (Lyde road is a long road approximately 1.5 miles long) at the A359 junction turn left go past Fairmead school & college then
    For the back entrance take the 1st left into Tower road after 2 hundred yards turn left then to the bottom (yes it says a dead end) turn right the school gates are 50 yards in front of you through the gates there is a car park on the left if you have good to unload you can carry on past the building to the halls you can then park and unload next to the halls.
    For the front entrance take the 2nd turning on the left by the co-op down St Michaels avenue turn 2nd left into Givele close BA21 4 FE bear right you will see the academy on the left and the car park is just inside the gates.

From the A303 north or south
    Take the turning to Ilchester A37 at the roundabout take the 2nd exit A37 to Yeovil follow the road to the next roundabout take the 1st exit along Combe St Ln to the junction with A359 Mudford road turn left about 300 yards by the co-op turn right into st Michaels avenue
    For the back entrance turn 1st left into Tower road follow the road to the bottom (yes it says a dead end) turn right the school gates are 50 yards in front of you through the gates there is a car park on the left if you have good to unload you can carry on past the building to the halls you can then park and unload next to the halls.
    For the front entrance turn 2nd left into Givele close BA21 4 FE bear right you will see the academy on the left and the car park is just inside the gates

These are probably the easiest routs with the lest turn offs and best roads. I hope they are of help for those without Sat Nav."

Any problems give me a shout,

Laters all,

Mike

PS - I should point out that Ken Bugler indicated there are five free wristbands on offer, so if everyone can make it I'll pay for the sixth ticket if they decide to charge
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 10-14-2019 at 15:55.

Splendid, thank you. I'll bring my kit along in case anything is needed, but if it's all sorted already, that's good too.

Have the organisers advised which hall the demo will be in (as the car parking seems to differ, according to those notes, for each hall)?

I'd very much like to make it, but I still can't confirm as yet.

At least you'll have plenty of bodies if I don't manage to clear it with work.

Hi Alex, directions given in the email quoted above.
    which hall the demo will be in
    your stand will be in the sports sub hall and you need the front entrance.
    Tim, we hope you can make it too buddy

My brain was clearly not yet awake at 0641! Thank you.

Thanks Mike. I'll be there.

Andy

Sorry not to get back to you sooner I haven't been on the Aerodrome for a while.
    It seems like you have plenty of bodies so I will give it a miss, if you suddenly find yourself short though I can attend.

OK Saturday is almost upon us - I shall set the record button for a certain rugby match and head down to Yeovil early. Hope to arrive around 8.30 or 8.45 at the latest. Shouoldn't take long to set up.

Looking forward to seeing you guys.

Chau for now,

Mike

Sorry not to get back to you sooner I haven't been on the Aerodrome for a while.
    It seems like you have plenty of bodies so I will give it a miss, if you suddenly find yourself short though I can attend.
    OK Burt - thanks for the heads up. Hope to meet up some other time - possibly at Entoyment Flight Club.

Cheers

mike

Should be there about 9am. Looking forward to it.

See you there chaps

Do we have any specific planes/year in mind?

Just if I do make it, I don't want to bring EVERYTHING, only to use 1% of it......

One of each Steffi should cover it Tim ...?!
    See you there chaps.

"He is wise who watches"

Hi Tim, well, I only had in mind the usual. Dog fights with scouts - a two seater v scouts. Etc etc. I'm bringing a box of each side (32 to a box) with what I hope is a balanced mix of scouts and two seaters ranging from 1916 through 1918. No Heavy Bombers or balloons, unless there are any specific requests for such.

Don't know if that answers your question, but hope it does

I have packed the 6' x 4' mat with printed clouds, rather than the officials. Again, if anybody wants otherwise I can still pack the latter. Just let me know by 10.30 tonight

Have a good day today in Yeovil, with safe journeys and exciting games.

Yes chaps have a blitz, and don't forget the recon photos!
    Kyte.

Big thankyou to Mike for organising, six of us playing WGF all day, and England beat the All Blacks, doesn't get much better than that.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Mike for organising yesterday's outing and thanks also to Dave, Tim, Alex and Rob for some great games. Thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Seconded (thirded?).

Especially given the rather vile weather that everyone else had to drive for hours in; I was glad to be relatively local.

Another excellent day's flying - we must have been above the weather!

Many thanks to Mike, Dave, Alex, Rob and Andy for providing the wingmen, opponents and banter - I really enjoyed the day.

Will post pictures when I have fully recovered.

Hi guys. My thanks to all too. Sorry about late reply but my computer died on me and it did it again just now. Have to get this sorted quickly.

Yesterday was a blast - really enjoyable, especially as the six of us were able to spend most of it playing amongst ourselves. We had a couple of adults from the public join one game together with a youngster that blew me out of the sky So some encouragement there

Sorry, no pics - so I hope Tim will provide one or two I'm afraid I was just too absorbed to remember most of the time Then, yes, there was that little distraction involving a rugby ball and one or two folk Superb day

Will post pictures when I have fully recovered.
    Aaah yes, just read that properly - thanks Tim. Look forward to them

Glad you had a good day chaps, and hope you had the Rugby recorded.
    Rob.

We did Rob but there was a TV in the entrance area that received regular visits from many in attendance as they made their way to the facilities.

"He is wise who watches"

and hope you had the Rugby recorded.
    Is the Pope etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    We did Rob but there was a TV in the entrance area that received regular visits from many in attendance as they made their way to the facilities.
    A retort springs to mind there Dave.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    ... We had a couple of adults from the public join one game together with a youngster that blew me out of the sky So some encouragement there
    And here is said youngster posing for a pic on his phone camera which Mike kindly took for him as Alex looked on "Pew, pew, I shot you down"
    Name:  SAM_1306.JPG
Views: 504
Size:  204.8 KB

"He is wise who watches"

Do you have any more photographs of the games, please?

Tim was the pics man, the few I took didn't come out well and wouldn't make sense.

"He is wise who watches"

I'm afraid I was very remiss there David - I took virtually no pics at all and like Dave's they are not good. Tim is your man

BUSY!!!!

I hope to get some posted soon.............
    ................but I haven't finished Doncaster's pictures yet!

Nothing unusual there then old chap.
    Kyte.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. South England Yeovil Model Show 2019
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-25-2019, 00:05
  2. World War 1 in Miniature Model Show
    By zenlizard in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-12-2017, 20:09
  3. OHMS Model Show
    By Stumptonian in forum WGF: General Discussions