Ares Games

Thread: A Newbie's First Flight - 2 Origins Game Fair Massive Battles

airboy1945

Default A Newbie's First Flight - 2 Origins Game Fair Massive Battles

Greetings!

I'm a very long time gamer going back to playing Avalon Hill Wargames in the 1960s in elementary school. I've been an avid gamer for a very long time, mostly on the Personal Computer and RPG games. I've also done a lot of game writing over the years for multiple game websites.

What I've not done is play miniatures. I played them for the first time at Origins.

I played 2 sessions of Wings of Glory.
    I wrote up my experience including a lot of photos. Some of the photos are people who are active here. [Milcoll73 - when I registered I did give your reference as requested].
    See: https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com...-wrecks-havok/

I also played a visually stunning miniature game called "Silent Night, Martian Night." If interested you can see it at:
    https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com...martian-night/

Name:  Furball 2.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  191.0 KBName:  6 - scout walker.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  191.0 KB

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

So glad you have made your way to the Forum, Avery! It was great to meet you at Origins this year, and I'm glad you were able to play in my 'RNAS to the Rescue' game on Wednesday. Your blog article is quite nice - good observations about helping newbies to the game - I think I shall hand out such a rules summary card in the future.

Lot's of great stuff here on the Forum to discover, and there are tons of great folks here with whom to interact.

All the best,
    Matt

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Avery, from here 'across The Pond' in the United Kingdom. Thank you for your reports upon your games at Origins. Your idea for summary cards is a good one.

Hi Avery and welcome. May you enjoy the game and forums as much as we do. Never hesitate to ask questions and thanks for that Martian game link.

Thumbs up

G'day Avery & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    Glad you had a great time at Origins & enjoyed playing with the miniatures.
    Hope you keep playing & enjoy your visits here as there is an amazing amount of info available.

welcome to the drome Avery!!! it was fun flying with you at origins (im the guy in the flight helmet). im glad you enjoyed it. great write up!!! hopefully itll hook some new players!

Welcome to the 'Drome' Avery from over here in the good old UK; West Yorkshire to be precise! Enjoy the game, fly safe and always watch your six.

Welcome to the 'drome Avery from sunny Dorset on the south coast of England looks like you enjoyed your foray into figure gaming with AQMF & WoG at Origins, hope you get to see some more WoG action in the future.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Welcome! Glad you had a good first Wings of Glory experience!

If you're interested in Martians, the new Tripods and Triplanes game has Wings of Glory planes vs. Martian war machines. My family just tried it out this weekend and it's different, but also fun!

Greetings from an overly humid Space Coast. That Martian game looks awesome. Plenty of stuff here on the website and a bunch of friendly and knowledgeable people. Be sure spend time rooting through the Files section. Good hunting!

Similar Missions

1. Origins Game Fair is the official convention of Wings of Glory Aerodrome.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Origins Game Fairs
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 05-11-2023, 17:12
  2. Origins Game Fair 2018?!?
    By Dwarflord22 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2017, 16:38
  3. Origins Game Fair 2016 (15-19 June)
    By fast.git in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2016, 06:31
  4. The Final Numbers from the 2015 Origins Game Fair!
    By The Cowman in forum Origins Game Fair
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-21-2015, 21:40