Ares Games

Thread: OTTDYM - Mission 7 - Flash Dit Fromage - 19th February 1916

Default OTTDYM - Mission 7 - Flash Dit Fromage - 19th February 1916

Ahead of the next attack on the French lines command had demanded full and detailed photographs of the terrain and the defence structures behind them. This meant a low and slow pass over enemy territory & their fortresses, a daunting mission to be sure but that probably explained why it had been laid at the door of the Eagles.
    What they did not, and could not know, was that the allies knew they were coming and that the Bulldogs had been positioned to intercept their effort.

"So far so good" thought Obltn Johannes Achilles - they had made it to the lines with no opposition but as they crossed the allied trenches he saw a red flare burn bright over the fortress ahead of them.
    "Maybe they hear us coming" he mused "but why the flare ?"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0986.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	271019
    L-R: Ltn Hans Eberhardt-Gossner(E.III); Ltns Otto Festner & Karl Schilling (C.III); ObltnWolfram Reimer & Ltn Claus Ritscherle (C.III); Obltn Johannes Achilles (E.III)

The Albatros crews busy themselves photographing the territory leading to the fort from level two.

Name:	SAM_0987.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	271020

As they ready themselves to picture the fort's defensive attributes they become subject to some of them - machinegun rounds slap through the fabric of their machines as they pass at close range, Festner's coughs out some white smoke..

Name:	SAM_0988.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	271021

They continue their work despite the onslaught - Festner's engine is damaged and he must turn for home

Name:	SAM_0989.JPG 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	271022

but he keeps company with his leader long enough for Schilling to get a photo of the layout behind the fort.

Name:	SAM_0991.JPG 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	271023

The Bulldogs arrive suddenly
    2Lt Cameron Paine (me)

Name:	SAM_0996.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	271024
    & 2Lt Alistair Gaither

Name:	SAM_0995.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	271025
    swoop out of the clag but are unable to capitalise on their surprise.

The Fokkers Immel immediately, being already in the process of doing so, and within moments latch on to the Bulldogs as they look to gain an advantage on the turning tandems.
    Paine feels the rounds patter into his machine and braces himself for more to come

Name:	SAM_0997.JPG 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	271026

Gaither is luckier as his opponent's gun jams before any major damage can be caused

Name:	SAM_0999.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	271027

Paine bears the brunt of the German's hate as he takes hits from Achilles' Fokker as well as Festner's gun, Achilles jams but only after causing serious damage. Schilling also takes the opportunity to lace 2Lt Phillip Atterley's machine as it unwittingly appears alongside them, and continues to pour it on until he too jams his gun

Name:	SAM_1002.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	271028 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1003.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	271029

Paine whips his DH2 around in an Immel but popping up in that manner he exposes himself to long range effort from Ritscherle in the other C.III.
    Gaither, having slipped Gossner gets into it by opening up on Festner's machine

Name:	SAM_1005.JPG 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	271030

Atterley, having been grounded for some weeks rewards Gaithers efforts by running into him and doing not inconsiderable damage with his undercart to his flight leader's machine

Name:	SAM_1006.JPG 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	271031

Taking advantage of the jammed gun Gaither presses home his attack at close range and sets Festner's C.III alight. Paine does the same with Reimers decorated C.III but causes no significant damage at all - he curses his luck roundly.

Name:	SAM_1008.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	271032

Achilles reverses and opens up on Paine, Gaither empties his Lewis into Festner's plane, hitting it hard but swerving right to avoid Reimer's tail Paine unleashes a close range fusillade that lashes Festner's cockpits knocking down both Schilling and their machine - kill to Paine !

Name:	SAM_1009.JPG 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	271033

As the C.III falls away, Gaither struggles to reload as Ritscherle lays an accurate burst into him damaging his controls

Name:	SAM_1010.JPG 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	271034

Seeking cover of the blindspot both DH.2's close in - Paine puts his final rounds into the C.III and sees fire bloom - Yes ! A second victory perhaps ?

Name:	SAM_1011.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	271035

Will he ever know ? As he celebrates he strays in front of Gaither who, busy clearing his gun, promptly smashes his tail up and knocks him from the sky !

Name:	SAM_1012.JPG 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	271036

Gaither, angry at the turn of events, exchanges fire with the C.III

Name:	SAM_1013.JPG 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	271037

Atterly is making back to the fight when the Fokker's reverse once more

Name:	SAM_1014.JPG 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	271038

Gaither continues his pursuit - swapping lead with the gunner until his gun runs dry again

Name:	SAM_1015.JPG 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	271039 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1016.JPG 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	271040

Atterly gets an angle and makes use of it by shooting up Achilles' Fokker

Name:	SAM_1017.JPG 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	271042 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1018.JPG 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	271041

Gaither is not only out of ammo but out of luck - as he changes his pan Gossner calmly dispatches him with a long and accurate burst that drops him into no mans land, guaranteeing success of the German mission.

Name:	SAM_1019.JPG 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	271044 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1021.JPG 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	271043

Atterley, his gun dry and with the attention of a pair of healthy Fokker's decides to call it a day and after a brief exchange dives away for home

Name:	SAM_1022.JPG 
ID:	271047 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1024.JPG 
ID:	271046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1025.JPG 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	271045

Butcher's Tally:

Bulldogs

Name:	SAM_1026.JPG 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	271049
    2Lt Cameron Paine: (DH.2 cdl) (me) EXP(col) FT 1 kill
    Rolled 8 -3EXP = 5 Rolled 8 -3EXP = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios . Rolled 4 = Skip 2

2Lt Alistair Gaither: (DH.2 PC10) SD-NML 0 kills
    Rolled 10 -1SD -1NML = 8 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 3 = Skip 1
    E&E: Rolled 11 +1NML -1WIC = 10 - They didn't even see me! Total Skips 1

2Lt Phillip Atterley: (DH.2 cdl tail) RTB 0 kills

Eagles

Name:	SAM_1027.JPG 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	271048
    Obltn Johannes Achilles: (striped E.III) RTB 0 kills

Ltn Hans Eberhardt-Gossner:(plain E.III) RTB 0 kills

ObltnWolfram Reimer: (P2 Decorated C.III) RTB 0 kills

Ltn Claus Ritscherle: (O) RTB 1 kill

Ltn Otto Festner: (P2 plain C.III) SD-FLM-ET 0 kills
    Rolled 9 -2FLM = 7 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 4 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 10 -1FLM -1WIC -1BEL = 7 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total Skips: 2 (RW)

Ltn Karl Schilling: (C.III) SD-FLM-ET / WIA / 0 kills
    Rolled 6 -2FLM -1WIA = 3 - Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 6 = Skip 6
    E&E: Rolled 11 -1FLM -1WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 7 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total Skips: 6 (R5W)

Victory Points:

Eagles:
    2 pics of fort = 4
    6 pics compass = 6
    1 Scout shot down = 1
    Total 11 Points

Bulldogs:
    1 tandem shot down = 2
    Total 2 points

Obviously I scaled this down to fit with my available crews, other than the delayed start for the Bulldogs the game went along nicely, well until I got shot down again ! There wasn't much luck for the Bulldogs in this one - scores were low when shooting, another day who knows.
    Good luck to you chaps !
    Last edited by flash; 07-08-2019 at 00:15.

"He is wise who watches"

Onkel arranges award of Iron Cross 2nd class for Reimer & air gunners badge and Iron Cross 2nd class for Ritscherle for their service & victory

"He is wise who watches"

What might have been Dave! An earlier arrival & no collisions might have made a big difference.
    Would not the shooting down of one of the Albatross denied the jolly old Hun of its Photos?
    I think you "dudded" your self in the Victory scores.

Anyway Rep is winging its way to you.

Thanks Baz - flying at level 2 doubles the pic score so that was one plane load of pics - though I did err as I thought they took two pics over the fort whereas they only took 1 each. The corrected score is still a resounding win for them !
    Last edited by flash; 07-08-2019 at 00:25.

"He is wise who watches"

Too bad about the own goal scored, but at least Paine isn't in too much pain.

Entertaining, as always, Dave, although the results were definitely in the Eagle court this time.

I like your Lewis drums - are those new?
    I was looking for something like that a few months ago.
    If they are the ones that Tim showed us they are too $$$ for me.
    I was thinking of modifying the ones I made by gluing to pennies.

They were gifted to me by NeilCFord at Yeovil a couple of months ago - They are the mags from Pyrkol jammed gun markers that clip to the pegs. I thought they'd make better reload markers !

"He is wise who watches"

Rootin tootin guns a blazing Les Francais could smell the burning planes from the Fort

It seems the Germans are getting ample photos for their Google Map of said Fort but the War is yet young and the Bulldogs will fight back , if the Force is with them

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Looks like there were a lot of bullets flying about but not a lot of damage from them. Great storyline although I couldn't see any difference between the 2 Albatros Cl's, I couldn't work out how one was decorated and the other not?

Shame about Paine getting shotdown again but he got a kill and will be back before the end of the year so not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Looks like there were a lot of bullets flying about but not a lot of damage from them. Great storyline although I couldn't see any difference between the 2 Albatros Cl's, I couldn't work out how one was decorated and the other not?
    I only referred to it in the Tally - irrelevant info really - as the un-decorated C.III was shot down !
    You can just make out part of the deco in pic 3 & the other side in the series of shots that dropped Gaither near the end of the report.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I only referred to it in the Tally - irrelevant info really - as the un-decorated C.III was shot down !
    You can just make out part of the deco in pic 3 & the other side in the series of shots that dropped Gaither near the end of the report.
    I had to look hard but did eventually see it, my eyes or screen must be letting me down, i did notice the crosses on the body were bigger on one plane than the other. do i get a prize for that?

Well, what can I say Dave? The luck was agin the Bulldogs again and the dastardly hun made away with their photos once more. DH2s going down like nine pins and the Eagles were flying zeros Not a good day for our boys at all. But then its early in the war and I guess we can expect that kind of result. Nicely told tale as always - thanks for the entertainment. REP inbound.

Ouch. similar mission result to what I ended with. Tough luck strikes the Bulldogs again.

At least you had Atterley fly home with a battle report! Looks like there will be some class room flight instructions to cut back on collisions with their own.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-02-2019, 23:03
  2. AAR OTTDYM Mission 5 - Adler Tag Team - 5th February 1916 by Vagabond
    By Vagabond in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-20-2019, 11:16
  3. BRF OTTDYM Mission 7 - Dit Fromage ! - 19th February 1916 by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-11-2019, 08:42
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-04-2019, 11:24
  5. AAR OTTDYM Mission 3 - Knowledge Is Power - 19th January 1916 by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-06-2019, 11:02