Ares Games

Thread: 3D Printing - Vipers and Raiders

Default 3D Printing - Vipers and Raiders

My latest blog entry covers a set of TOS Vipers and Raiders from Battlestar Galactica. Printed to fit in with the later series models from Ares.

http://dtbsam.blogspot.com/2019/07/v...d-raiders.html

Nice ones...

Those are from a 3D printer? Who painted them?
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I printed and painted them. My printer is an Anycubic Photon UV resin printer. The files are free downloads from Thingiverse

Nice job, David. How do you rate that printer for ease of use? I'm thinking of being stupid, and buying one next year.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Once you get the hang of levelling the bed and managing the resin and IPA it is dead easy. I've banged out a couple of hundred models in the 4 months since I got it. I'd say it is definitely worth the investment. I just wish some of he models that are for sale on Shapeways were also available to buy as STL files - the quality of the resin printer is quite lovely.

Just met a game designer at PhenomaCon, and he had all his figures self-made using an Anycubic Photon (didn't ask the model, but he said he paid $550.00 Cdn). They were amazing. Really no stratfication as I've seen on other 3D printings. The details he was able to make on his figures was as good as molded plastic models.

If I was into producing models, I would seriously consider one of these.

Dave, your Raiders and Vipers look terrific. Too bad I didn't have them yesterday, as that would have drawn a few more people to the table. I had a few people say they were fans of the original show, and they might have tried the game with your models.

OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album - Cylon Raider (The Original Series) Ship Card
    OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album - Colonial Viper Mk I Ship Card

If interested: PhenomaCon 2019 - 6 July, Victoria
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Great Models, David!

Lovely job, Mr Manley!

Those Raiders especially!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Impressive. What’s the largest size you can print out on it? (Wanders off to raid the piggy bank)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great stuff here, Dave! I saw your post of them on the FB page - like the folks Mike met this past weekend, I, too, like the original Cylon raiders better than the second series ships...

It's nice to hear that the 3D printing technology available to the average Joe continues to improve. I look forward to seeing more of your work (although I imagine you've been doing a bunch of ships for Cruel Seas...)

All the best,
    Matt

Similar Missions

1. Picture of the new vipers
    By Marechallannes in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2019, 11:52
  2. Do Vipers have any advantage over Raiders?
    By Naharaht in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-01-2019, 21:35
  3. Different Raiders!
    By Rory in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2019, 18:17
  4. Raiders of the last Ark
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2015, 08:04
  5. Doolittle Raiders