Ares Games

Thread: BSG Warm-up for PhenomaCon 2019

Default BSG Warm-up for PhenomaCon 2019

My usual Thursday morning gaming session with one of my oldest, if not the oldest, friends had me set up a quick two-on-two dogfight.

Mike needed a near complete refresher, so we didn't use aces or talents. Just maneuvering and shooting.

Two Raiders on one side, and two Vipers on the other side, with a sprinkling of asteriods to maneuver around. We also tried out the Damage Recording sheets, as that was what I would be using on Saturday at PhenomaCon.
    Con Link: PhenomaCon 2019 - 6 July - Victoria
    Damage Record Link: BSG Minions - Post #23

First shots, and it all goes very badly for the Cylons:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190704_101657Comp.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	270989
    Mike rolled double sixes on both shots. No, we didn't set this up. This is the way the dice rolled. I had maneuvered around to get the asteroid field between us, and then snuggled into it, with the thought I'd get some shielding from the rocks. Moving at 0 or 1 KE would not damage me, and Mike would have to roll at -2 to hit. Well, I maneuvered my B ship until it poked its nose out, and that eliminated the rock shield advantage. At normal range, without the shielding, the double sixes were double hits. And, of course, I dug around for the big chits. Ship B evaporates under a lethal barrage of shots. 4+ and 4, then a 6 on the first shots. The second set were two 3s. B ship gone.

Name:	IMG_20190704_101710Comp.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	270990

Name:	IMG_20190704_101725Comp.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	270991

My return fire wasn't so good:

Name:	IMG_20190704_102016Comp.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	270992
    At least I hit, but not anywhere near the damage Mike gave to me. Mike's B ship takes a total of 3! I did have to fire through rocks with my A ship, as he was just into the asteriods, but I still got hits on the ship. The doubles I rolled weren't high enough to allow splitting the shots, despite the luck of rolling doubles on both my rolls.

Two turns later, after an FTL blip was a bit skewed off course:

Name:	IMG_20190704_103828Comp.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	270993
    I got another shot at Mike's B ship, but his A ship got me. Control System damage...

And another FTL blip goes wrong:

Name:	IMG_20190704_104229Comp.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	270994
    Now, I'm out of the position I wanted to be in, and about to get hammered again. I tried to turn away from the fight, to get into a postion that would keep me out of range of at least one ship.

And I couldn't move fast enough to get out of arc. My last move was a Difficult, so couldn't turn tight enough:

Name:	IMG_20190704_105158Comp.jpg 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	270995
    Mike's A ship misses, but not his B ship.

And I crank my nose around to get guns on target, and Mike blocks his B ship from firing. I might survive? What! More doubles.

Name:	IMG_20190704_105939Comp.jpg 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	270996
    Mike rolled double 4's, and with a +1 for range, and +2 for a missed shot on the last turn, the double fours are both hits.

I drew a 4+ with Hull/Wing Special Damage and a 2. The zero was the only reason I survived.

Name:	IMG_20190704_110035Comp.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	270997
    With the damage to my ship, I used an FTL to retreat from the battle, badly mauled.

Mike was back to the Galactica for brews and brags, with one ship untouched, and this on the second:

Name:	IMG_20190704_110048Comp.jpg 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	270998

The Damage recording worked really well, although Mike didn't draw any of the chits I did. But in a big game, all the chits are in play for all the players. Once the damage on one ship was recorded, all the chits were back in the bin for the next shot. And having the special damage right on the recording sheet will be helpful for new players, I'm sure.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

A quick and brutal encounter Mike ! You should get some fat bingo marker pens for your damage cards - big splots of red along the damage board might enhance the look - especially if you laminate them.

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The damage cards seem to have worked pretty well, Mike I, too, like the idea of laminating them, if feasible. Eric(7eat51) does that with Sails games he runs - he has made reusable ship consoles that are laminated, and players use erasable markers to track damage.

Good luck at the con with the game!
    All the best,
    Matt

Not sure about the laminating. I photocopied 12 sheets (24 copies when double-sided), and cut them in half. As the records are folded, to provide secrecy, laminating may not be possible (the laminated fold will eventually break, or degrade). The record could be done double-sided, without the fold, but dry erase marker does rub off, if not careful.

Perhaps a trial on that? Photocopies might be cheaper, even with reusability of laminated sheets.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: PhenomaCon 2019 - 6 July, Victoria
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-14-2019, 13:37
  2. The Warm Welcome Well Received.
    By Yell in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 13:54
  3. A warm welcome to new pilots.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 6