Ares Games

Thread: Are we lucky or what?

Default Are we lucky or what?

Looking around my dining room (aka our game arena) and I can see ......

1. Tripods and Triplanes plus the Invasion box set.
    2. Sails of Glory
    3. Battle of Britain WGS
    4. Wings of Glory RAP
    5. Battle Star Galactica

Do you pilots think it is good to have all these choices of Ares games to play or do you think they are distractions that dilute interest in your favorite one?

I have WGF (282 + 23 on order) and WGS (239) and will soon add T&T (including 7 aircraft)

So far I have only dabbled in WGS - hope to expand my horizons over the next year or two.

I have not ventured into Sails or Battlestar Gallactica.
    The models are nice, but Juan has to draw a line somewhere.

i wish we had more airplanes for wings of glory.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i wish we had more airplanes for wings of glory.
    Which ones would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    One word - Felixstowe! Oh perhaps a couple of other words: Pup, Fe2B

Sopwith Dolphin, Pfalz D.XII, Roland D.VI to name but a few !
    But yes, we are very lucky.
    Last edited by flash; 07-03-2019 at 02:54.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Sopwith Pup, Italian twoseater, Hansa Brandenburg C1 twoseater,...
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I have them all, too, Gary - they all have their appeal for me, although WWI is and will always be my favorite. The majority of my collection of miniatures is WWI. Having run Sails and T&T and BSG at Origins this year, I really enjoyed the interaction those games allow players, and the systems themselves are fun games. I imagine my BSG and Sails components will never grow too large. And my interest in WWII is rather limited, so that collection will likely stay pretty focused.

As to new models, I like the suggestions others have made. But that dead horse has been beaten satisfactorily elsewhere...

All the best,
    Matt

Well, I got a few aircraft WW1 and WW2, a couple of ships for sails, a starter set for BSG and waiting, still waiting for T&T.
    Favs are Sails and WW1 but enjoy all Ares /Wings family games. The only down side is with all these games we have a bit of a wait for new items, especially as it seems the releasevis around one or two releases a year, including reprints and specials

For me, most of the non WGF is a distraction. But that's my personal preference. If WGS, T&T, BSG and SoG help Area become a more successful company, then I'm all for it-that just means that there will be more of support structure for WGF.

I remember the question "Do you like more WGF or WGS." was quite common in past years. I like them both, WGF for easy unpack&play system and maneuvres all around the table, WGS for unique missions that can be developed. Fo everything new for WGF/WGS is fine to me. Also playing SoG, but not interested in T&T much and BSG.

WGF - big time! (you might have noticed)

WGS - big time! (you might have noticed, but less than WGF)

SAILS - NOT AT ALL! (I would have HOPED you'd all noticed!)

Tripe-pods - NOT AT ALL (doesn't matter anyway; no one in Europe's received any yet)

BSG - yes, into it, but three mail orders are all held up by missing bits, so I only have 2 Starter sets (plus mats, asteroids, planetoids from other space games)

I can cope with these 3; I wouldn't like to try to add a fourth.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Sopwith Pup, Italian twoseater, Hansa Brandenburg C1 twoseater,...
    Hansa-Brandenburg C1 is likely Juan of the planes in my next Shapeways purchase....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom Sopwith Pup v1 Small.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	270959 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pomilio 3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	270960

Juan could build a Valom on order - but perhaps not realistic as there's 30+ Valoms in the pipeline and I'm not sure how well they'd survive shipping.

WGF and TT are enough for me...my hobby account is in serious debt to my household account. So I need to pay off that debt first. Age of sail ships are possible but if I did that it would likely be using something like Langton 1:1200 ships but it's more likely I'd add to my WWI and WW2 1:2400 GHQ ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    the ones the other have mention plus;
    ilya moramets
    jn4 jenny

f6f
    corsair
    a20
    b24
    b26
    b29
    p61
    me262
    do335
    he163
    etc
    etc

this is not to say, i dont think were NOT lucky to have wings of glory and the aircraft we have.

revised to say what i actually meant lol (damn dyslexia)
    Last edited by milcoll73; 07-03-2019 at 17:56.

Personally, I think the quality of the Ares WWI models has been disappointing. Everyone of them that I have seen has had some wierd feature that anyone familiar with the actual plane would notice on sight. I have a rather extensive collection, but the majority of it is now from Shapeways. I would love (and would buy) more Ares planes if the quality improved. If that cannot be done, then I would be happy with more card decks.

As far as the other games offered by Ares... I think variety is awesome... even if I have no desire to own any of them

Chris

Smile

Hi Gary. I am happy to just concentrate on Wings WW1 & WW2 as I do not get the opportunity to game more than twice a month plus of course the OTT Solo games.

As far as minis go I am sweating on the reprint of SE 5a's & Pfalz's but would really like to see Ares produce Sopwith Pup, FE 2's, BE 2, Fok D.II or III & late model Pfalz's.

I must say way too lucky. We have a great game system (WGF) that is still hanging in with new product, coming out rather erratically, but still we get new toys.

WGF is my first love, can't get enough of it
    WGS is a much bigger draw that I originally thought or planned on
    BSG is a big surprise and I'm hooked, it's great!
    Sails...I've collected a fair bit but have not had much chance to play but see it's allure
    T&T...Kickstarter coming soon... its fun but not sure I will

New planes? Everything everyone is asking for and more. Thank goodness I can get some drugs from Shapeways and AIM for my cravings.

WWII player here! I really want to see more variety of WWII planes. I am dying to see some 109 G6s in the air (my favorite plane of all time) and of course... the me 262! I wish Ares don't keep us WWII players in the dark! No interest in WWI but Sails looks fun. Just doubt anyone in the gaming community here would be interested.

B-24 and Betty
    P-38 and Corsair
    Kates and Avengers

"Three of the Perfect Pair"
    (a nod to King Crimson)

Love the King Crimson Album, but my fav of that series is about being disciplined enough to comprehend elephant talk!

I will second all the planes you mention. Until then, still learning to fly real airplanes (but without weapons).

Larks Tongue and Aspic for me, my elves have met all my mini wants in bulk, so I am just along for the ride . . . just saw the new Life magazine this month features Godzilla! Oh my! Lucky ducky!!

Just saw this so here is my input.
    WOW/WOG WWI have a list of 90 but haven't updated it so I know I must have about 150.
    WOG WWII ARES well over 100 and AIM well over 100 so I guess between then and the few Shapeways about 250+
    T&T have that on order so 2 Starters
    Sails have the Kickstarted and 2 dozen ship but have never played. As with other things just collected.
    BSG I will get to play in Sept so you never know about that.

Similar Missions

1. LUCKY DIP BAG !!!
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-20-2017, 10:56
  2. Lucky Me.
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-21-2016, 10:41
  3. I just got lucky again!
    By gully_raker in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5