Ares Games

Thread: Useful Accessories?

Default Useful Accessories?

Having just bought my first planes, I find myself eyeing the accessories. The ones that catch my eye are Keith's spinning props and the magnets for dramatically orienting the planes. Also, I'm considering his fancy bases and smoke/fire.

I'm curious what the overall feeling for these items is. Do you use them? Do they enhance play or make the planes more fiddly? They certainly look great in static photos, but that may not be the whole story...

It depends.... I have made my own smoke and fire markers out of pipe cleaners and polyfill. I have the spinning props but generally I use them on minis that lose of have lost their props. I will use the magnets if a mini calls for it ( i.e. a repaired mini that has its peg broken off, or any other mini that does not have a mounting peg). I try not to modify original nexus/ares minis. I have made my own bases for my minis from shapeways or the such.

But it comes down to personal preference. Seeing smoke off a wing of a plane on the board looks good and helps Id sore planes, unless it is your plane that is smoking, and are the first mods I made and use most often.

Mike

Hi Dobbs, Welcome to the 'Drome!

My take on these products.........

Spinning props - I don't use them. I have placed 2 on a couple of planes with broken/missing prop blades, but they look too different from the horde of other planes I have; plus, they are quite heavy when used on Shapeways planes, changing the centre of balance with regard to the gimbals.

Gimbals/magnets - I use as many of these as I can get! I like to photograph my games, and they reproduce real flying so much better than all the planes being parallel to the table top all the time.
    I used to cut off the plane pegs, and mount magnets directly, but that became too expensive in magnets! I now cut a clear peg in half and glue a gimbal and a magnet to each half, so can mount any Nexus/Ares plane on such (but some of the heavier planes can slip if angled steeply).
    Note: for games involving young children, I tend to not use the gimbals, owing to the orientation of child-flown models becoming much too variable!

Fancy bases - yes, I use Keith's ones, especially for Shapeways planes, or other non-Nexus/Ares models.
    I don't use the altitude rings (too unsightly on photographs, plus the representation of differing heights is just wrong unless differing numbers of pegs are used).

Smoke/Fire - I bought them, but don't use them. I use a variety of pipecleaner-based markers which attach directly to the wings instead. These look much better in photographs, and are easier to attach/remove during a game (the Aerodrome ones require the plane to be removed from the peg column, then the marker be attached, then the plane replaced).
    If I didn't have the pipecleaner markers, I would definitely use Keith's markers - they are very visually attractive, and do enhance the game.

As Mike said above, it's all down to personal preference. There is no right or wrong - do what feels best to you!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

If you like making your own accessories it can be fun. I do like Mike with a pipe cleaner, cotton, and a bit of paint. 'HERE' you can see how I make them. Others use only pipe cleaners and thats a lot easier but maybe not as dramatic. These are not really necessary for the game as markers are with the Rules set but it makes it obvious who is in distress.

I love using the gimbal mounts. 'HERE' is what a lot of us do. I now cut the peg that has the ball bearing in half. The full length makes it harder for heavier planes to hold the position. They do not effect the game but makes it look like the planes are turning, diving....etc.

I agree with Mike on the spinning props. ARES planes I only use when the original props have broken and tend to use them on Shapeways and AIM planes.

It's all cosmetic. Use whatever your eye likes better.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-31-2019 at 09:15.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Dobbs, from over here in the United Kingdom. Some things Keith sells in the Aerodrome Accessories store that the others did not mention are plastic range rulers in the shape of propellors and 'Altitude Glue', which is sticky but non-hardening for use with loose pegs.

Thumbs up

G'day Dobbs & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

I like others use Keith's bases for my Shapeways models & also like the Gimbals.
    I can recommend the Altitude Glue for fixing loose pegs but prefer to use my own (or some given to me by other members) Flame & Smoke markers but if you are not into doing that yourself then Keith's look good.

I pretty much agree with everyone else here.
    I use my homemade flame/smoke markers, except when using the big bombers, where I have some of Keith's

I bought the gimbals and magnets from Keith quite a while back, but have yet to get around to trying them out.
    They do make a dramatic change for photos. See Tim's (Flying Helmut) albums for some really good examples.

Another useful accessory (when they are still in stock) are his damage card caddies, and of course, his ACE cockpits.

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have extra pipe cleaner/smoke-fire markers they would be willing to sell?

i have a plethora of accessories, designed for the game, adapted from other games, and homemade that i use on a regular basis.

One very worthwhile accessory is a neoprene mat. I’m a big fan of the official mats, and have collected all of them over the years. They make probably the single biggest impact on the “wow” factor of the game.

I also use Keith’s jam markers - the ones that look like little red target reticles - and wouldn’t like to be without them.

I’ve used the flame and smoke markers as well, but I strongly prefer the older, one piece versions as compared to the new multipart 3D version, which I find cumbersome.

Last but not least - definitely pick up a bottle of the altitude peg glue. Single biggest quality of life accessory you can get as the tightness of the pegs can vary between manufacturing runs, and a sloppy fit makes an onerous experience. One bottle should last a lifetime.

Also, it’s worth thinking about picking up a spare set of altitude pegs at some point. They are frequently out of stock, but are very useful for Shapeways planes, playing with altitude rules, and general peace of mind (eg. not worrying about losing a peg by accident)

The official neoprene game mats should definitely be everyone's first purchase after planes.

I have the smoke/fame markers. They look cool really cool, but honestly after playing a few games with them I find them a little too finicky. The need to remove the plane from the base is a colossal PITA, and they don't all fit snugly.

I have some other accessories I've 3D printed (solo template and damage deck holders) that work very well. I'm also slowly sleeving my maneuver decks. Some of them are really hard to get a hold of and they get constantly shuffled around, so they're work sleeving. Time consuming though because I have to make new boxes to hold them (working on a 3D print design that can hold multiple maneuver decks).

I've also created and printed up some custom rules reference pages, since my players constantly forget all the rules to the game.

I'd also look into a storage system that works for you. A dozen planes are easy to store. 50+ gets a little more problematic.

The most massively useful accessory Keith makes are the hangar trays. Get some, or make your own, if you're handy with hobby tools.

And second on my list are the altitude dials. Way better than the altitude peg system, especially when you get way up there in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    The official neoprene game mats should definitely be everyone's first purchase after planes.

I have the smoke/fame markers. They look cool really cool, but honestly after playing a few games with them I find them a little too finicky. The need to remove the plane from the base is a colossal PITA, and they don't all fit snugly.

I have some other accessories I've 3D printed (solo template and damage deck holders) that work very well. I'm also slowly sleeving my maneuver decks. Some of them are really hard to get a hold of and they get constantly shuffled around, so they're work sleeving. Time consuming though because I have to make new boxes to hold them (working on a 3D print design that can hold multiple maneuver decks).

I've also created and printed up some custom rules reference pages, since my players constantly forget all the rules to the game.

I'd also look into a storage system that works for you. A dozen planes are easy to store. 50+ gets a little more problematic.
    Hi Cody. Are your 3D files available for download?

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    The most massively useful accessory Keith makes are the hangar trays. Get some, or make your own, if you're handy with hobby tools.

And second on my list are the altitude dials. Way better than the altitude peg system, especially when you get way up there in the sky.

Definitely get the hangar tray. You will wonder how you ever lived without one!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Hi Cody. Are your 3D files available for download?
    Not yet. I have to re-design the lid for the damage deck holder (I went the wrong directions for the measurements so it's like... 1mm too small :/), then I'll throw them up on thingiverse. A friend actually designed the damage template, I'll grab the .stl from him and throw it up too.

FlyingScotsman

I agree with the other posts that the game mats are essential. Definitely worth getting when starting out.

I am working on my storage now, but waiting on Tripods & Triplanes to show up so I can get the measurements on the tripods. I’m probably going to store the miniatures in foam.

I have been sleeving the maneuver decks, which complicates storage. Like Cody, I am working on 3D printing trays for some storage boxes I got. The boxes will hold the decks, stands, & pegs... all while keeping aircraft types together. Hopefully, it’ll all turn out like planned. I’ll share the end results when it’s ready.

I’ve read mixed reviews on flame/smoke 3D indicators, which I am interested in, but may just go the homemade route. I saw another poster using pipe cleaners & poly fill. Looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScotsman View Post
    have been sleeving the maneuver decks, which complicates storage. Like Cody, I am working on 3D printing trays for some storage boxes I got. The boxes will hold the decks, stands, & pegs... all while keeping aircraft types together. Hopefully, it’ll all turn out like planned. I’ll share the end results when it’s ready.
    I'd be interested in those results. I've tried a few designs (seen in one of my other threads) for storing the planes with the sleeved cards, separate from the sleeved cards, etc. Everything I come up with is either very labour intensive and/or very print time intensive (4+ hours for one airplane box isn't acceptable lol).

At the moment I'm still storing the planes in their normal boxes, and I've taken to creating simple cardstock boxes for the sleeved maneuver decks. It's not ideal but it's the best solution I've come up with so far.

I’ve read mixed reviews on flame/smoke 3D indicators, which I am interested in, but may just go the homemade route. I saw another poster using pipe cleaners & poly fill. Looks pretty good.
    They look great but they're just too finicky to use regularly IMO. I've considered trying the LITKO ones because they snap on the base instead of sit over it, so you don't have to remove the plane. I may also try a home-brew solution.

I guess it depends how in depth you want to get into things.

Name:  DCP_6947.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  200.1 KB

These are 2 1/144 models. I used a type of pipe cleaner I bought at Hobby Lobby.

Name:  IMG_5291.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  130.9 KB
    And here are 2 B-29's with Keith's props.

FlyingScotsman

I’ll be happy to share the results, Cody. My Maneuver deck/base/altitude peg storage concept seems like a good idea... just waiting on my nephew to finish polishing up the 3D printed tray template. He’s hooked on WoG now too, so that should provided some extra motivation

Bob, your fire & smoke indicators look good. Simple, but effective I’ll have to keep some Hobby Lobby pipe cleaners in mind.

BobP,

How did you mount the spinning props to the plane. Just pin it with a piece of brass rod or something?

Dan

There are posts on the plane where to props can be added. Dave (AIM) has this on a number of planes. The props are the ones sold in the Aerodrome store. Many folks use them.

I use the props available on the Aerodrome Store and love them. I just make the hole larger to fit the plane. WWI planes are easy. On ARES planes that the prop breaks off I trim off the other blade and replace it with the spinning disc. A little bit of super glue takes care of it. Some take more work than others especially WW2 and nose cone sizes differ a lot. I use an Xacto to open up the hole by just spinning it by hand. Be careful!

Similar Missions

1. Third party accessories for BSG
    By Oberst Hajj in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-09-2019, 10:38
  2. Rules & Accessories...
    By HTRAINo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-29-2015, 07:59
  3. N. England & Scotland Accessories
    By PunkReaper in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2013, 16:12
  4. Aerodrome Accessories Aerodrome Accessories offers official accessories for Wings of Glory.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 13:32
  5. Aerodrome Accessories
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 04:48