Ares Games

Thread: Die Bibliothek ist wieder für den Geschäftsverkehr geöffnet

Default Die Bibliothek ist wieder für den Geschäftsverkehr geöffnet

Or: Biblioteka jest ponownie otwarta dla biznesu, if you prefer.

Just arrived back from a week in Berlin, Cracow and Warsaw, currently editing around 900 photographs. Here's a couple for starters from the Luftwaffe Museum at Gatow:

I visited/revisited a number of museums (and not a few bars) along the way, all of them fascinating but not without a few disappointments:

• Luftwaffe Museum Gatow - All of the WW1 exhibits have now been removed (and most of the WW2 ones), presumably all gone to Rechlin to the new museum there. The main Hangar 3 now sparsely populated and the side rooms that housed models and uniforms are now closed. A lot of the aircraft that were parked outside seem to have gone as well.
    • The Technical Museum in Berlin has a good display of aircraft but a number of them including their 109E are suspended from the ceiling. Not a problem as there is an elevated walkway from which to view and photograph them, but - guess what was closed off?
    • Arrived in Cracow on Thursday, which happened to be Corpus Christi when all the museums shut. Only found this out after schlepping all the way out to the Aviation Museum!
    • Take 2, Friday - Aviation Museum open (hooray!), main hangar closed for renovation (Boo!). This meant that all the exhibits were parked outside and most of the older types with open cockpits were wrapped in plastic against the weather, not great for photography. Also there is a building behind the main hangar that houses some very old and very rare planes. This was shut as well....
    • Moving on, the Home Army Museum in Cracow itself was very good but the lighting was not that great, making it difficult to read the captions on the exhibits.
    • The same applied to the Rising Museum in Warsaw - excellent museum with poor lighting.
    • The Warsaw Military Museum was a delight to wander around, although I seem to remember a large backlot packed with post-war armour that you could see but couldn't get to - this all seems to have disappeared and the area landscaped over.
    • The Military Technical Museum at Fort Sadowa on the outskirts of Warsaw - lots of external exhibits (tanks, planes, radar systems, helicopters) mouldering away, but the internal exhibition in the fort itself was closed and fenced off.

Notwithstanding all this, a good time was had by all, no doubt a few pics will end up on the forum in due course.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thumbs up

Sound a bit "Bitter Sweet" mate! Never mind there were the Bars to make up for it!

Hope it was a worthy trip at all, Steve.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

A promising start to pictures above, Steve! Sorry a percentage of what you were hoping to see was unavailable...so glad that didn't happen when we visited Hendon in January! I look forward to your continued reportage on your jaunt to the Continent.

All the best,
    Matt

Nice teaser so far.

Look at it this way...the closed-off area means fewer pictures to wade through.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Hope it was a worthy trip at all, Steve.
    Without a doubt Sven. Made more enjoyable by German beer.

Lovely looking murder bird Steve, shame about the tribulations along the way. Look forward to seeing what else you snapped.

"He is wise who watches"

I trust the rest of your trip will go off without any more disappointments Gunners.
    Look forward to seeing your pictures anon.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I trust the rest of your trip will go off without any more disappointments Gunners.
    Look forward to seeing your pictures anon.
    Rob.
    I was back in Blighty on Sunday Rob. One surprise was finding the Railway Museum in Warsaw had an armoured train sitting there. Only another 800 photos to process . A lot of it is post-war Russian aircraft though.

In that case I hope that your remaining part of the trip went well.
    Better than my house renovations which should have been completed this time last week!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've uploaded some pics relevant to this forum from my recent trip around Poland and Berlin:

Luftwaffe Museum, Gatow

Berlin Technical Museum

Aviation Museum, Cracow

Military History Museum, Warsaw

I also have an awful lot of pics of post-war Russian planes and armour, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

Excellent additions, Guntruck!

Great pics Steve - thanks

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Nach Irrflug wieder im Bereich
    By jhary in forum German Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 04:40
  2. Wieder eine - Junkers CL1
    By dreckler in forum German Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 07:39