Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: BSG minions

  1. #1

    Default BSG minions

    I'm sorry if this is a rehash of another question...

    What's the difference between buying another starter box (bsg) and buying the generic viper/raider besides the price??.. any different cards between the two?.
    This is a question about the generic viper/raider add on, not the character ships. (Scar/Starbuck). The price for the starter box is £45-55 to the price of doing it individually at more than £100..

    I have the starter box plus Starbuck's raider and Starbuck's viper. Scar is on order, but it's the fleshing out the minions that's why I'm asking

  2. #2

    Default

    It sounds horrible saying minions but i will make up cards for
    Lt Paolo Mackay ( Redwing )
    Sgt Donald Perry ( Chuckles )
    Ensign Samuel Anders ( Longshot )
    And
    Lt Brendon Costanza ( Hot Dog )
    But use the normal pilot stats instead of a character card

    I'm hoping we get 'Kat' in the viper VIII add on and not a pilot from the Pegasus..
    Last edited by Tristan; 06-24-2019 at 03:03.

  3. #3

    Default

    Chris,
    Sadly, the Starter Set did not include a 'Hardball' Pilot card.

    Even more regretably, the Viper Mk.II Pack didn't include any pilot cards, not even 'Hardball', to go with the markings on this ship.

    On BoardGameGeek, a member uploaded a PDF of Colonial Pilot Cards that currently includes:
    'Hardball'
    'Nightwitch'
    'Hot Dog'
    'Redwing'
    'Kat'
    'Fox'
    and a player What-If 'MUFFET III'

    They can be found here:
    BoardGameGeek.com - BSG - Colonial Pilots

    The member also did up some Cylons.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  4. #4

    Default

    Perhaps 'subordinates' would be a better term than 'minions'.

  5. #5

    Default

    I bought a second starter set as I find it more economical. 4 ships and all the counters & rulers for less than the price for buying 4 individual ships. ARES should have made the individual ships different by adding pilot cards. BSG minions.... now I'll have to paint one viper with a minion on it!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I bought a second starter set as I find it more economical. 4 ships and all the counters & rulers for less than the price for buying 4 individual ships. ARES should have made the individual ships different by adding pilot cards. BSG minions.... now I'll have to paint one viper with a minion on it!
    Not sure that a Minion would fit in with the BSG universe, but I understand the appeal of all the extras in a second Starter Set.

    With one of all the expansion ships, I now need a means of assigning damage to 8+ ships in one game. With a Con in a week, I might be looking at cue cards to record damage and recycling chits as we go.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Not sure that a Minion would fit in with the BSG universe, but I understand the appeal of all the extras in a second Starter Set.

    With one of all the expansion ships, I now need a means of assigning damage to 8+ ships in one game. With a Con in a week, I might be looking at cue cards to record damage and recycling chits as we go.
    For my games at Origins I scanned the damage chits and printed a second set. I thought that should suffice. This was before I purchased my 2nd starter set. (With Matt running a couple of BSG games at Origins we mixed his set in with mine so we had a triple set.)

  8. #8

    Default

    Oh hell.. didn't think about damage markers when talking about a 4 aside game, or even damage cards. Would this be considered when the heavies, Raptors and 7's come out, that a damage deck could be released, with different cards for missiles and Ecm?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Oh hell.. didn't think about damage markers when talking about a 4 aside game, or even damage cards. Would this be considered when the heavies, Raptors and 7's come out, that a damage deck could be released, with different cards for missiles and Ecm?
    The starter set has only 40 damage chits for shooting so any larger games would need more or for players to keep track of damage and return the chits to the bag. For BSG and my Wings games I like to use triple damage decks as I run a fair share of large games at conventions.

    Missiles I would imagine will have their own set of chits? ECM, my guess would be die roll modifiers .

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The starter set has only 40 damage chits for shooting so any larger games would need more or for players to keep track of damage and return the chits to the bag. For BSG and my Wings games I like to use triple damage decks as I run a fair share of large games at conventions.

    Missiles I would imagine will have their own set of chits? ECM, my guess would be die roll modifiers .
    Without releasing a specific expansion box, any damage done by upcoming weapons rules would have to fit within the accessories from the Starter Set. So, IMHO, the heavy weapons, missiles, et al, will use the the exisiting damage chits.

    So, back to buying another Starter Set, printing our own chits, or recording damage and recycling chits. Hmm...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Without releasing a specific expansion box, any damage done by upcoming weapons rules would have to fit within the accessories from the Starter Set. So, IMHO, the heavy weapons, missiles, et al, will use the the exisiting damage chits.
    Gothas, Capronis, HP 0/400s and Staakens all had a counter set that came with them, maybe a missile counter set could come with the new ships and missile rules? Guess we'll find out in Aug/Sept.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Gothas, Capronis, HP 0/400s and Staakens all had a counter set that came with them, maybe a missile counter set could come with the new ships and missile rules? Guess we'll find out in Aug/Sept.
    These special packs came with counters for crew management and damage location chits to the multiple crew members and engines. Nothing in them for damage cards or chits. They did have bombs and target cards, though. So, perhaps missile cards could come in the Ship packs.

    I still think, because this is what ARES has done in the past, that we won't see damage chits in separate ship packs. Sorry for being a pessimist.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    These special packs came with counters for crew management and damage location chits to the multiple crew members and engines. Nothing in them for damage cards or chits. They did have bombs and target cards, though. So, perhaps missile cards could come in the Ship packs.

    I still think, because this is what ARES has done in the past, that we won't see damage chits in separate ship packs. Sorry for being a pessimist.
    Hope we'll find out when we get the new ships. (where is the emoticon for waiting....and waiting....?)

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm glad I picked up a second starter box set at Origins, then... perhaps a third is in my future...

    All the best,
    Matt

  15. #15

    Default

    A third starter set?? How big are the games you're playing???
    But there again what would we do once the next expansion models come out.?????? .

  16. #16

    Default

    Origins games can be up to 14+. At other cons I limit my game pre-reg to 12 but I try not to turn anyone away. I now have 8 Vipers and 8 Raiders so I'm ready!

  17. #17

    Default

    What Peter said...This past Origins, Peter and I combined our sets to have enough to use in the games we ran. I now have, between my two starter sets and four extra ships and consoles, 6 Vipers and 6 Cylon raiders... The general wisdom so far is that for every four ships, one needs a set of damage chits, so unless they plan to sell the counters as a separate accessories pack, a third boxed set is in order. It's a similar situation to WoG WWI, where extra damage decks are needed as you increase the number of planes on the board.

    Now to find an acceptable 'space' mat to use in games...

    All the best,
    Matt

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Now to find an acceptable 'space' mat to use in games...

    All the best,
    Matt
    http://www.tablewar.com/6x4-space-f-a-t-mat-gaming-mat/

    http://www.tablewar.com/6x3-space-f-a-t-mat-gaming-mat/
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  19. #19

    Default

    This is wandering into new thread territory, if it hasn't already gone completely off topic...

    I'm running a demo of BSG at PhenomaCon on the weekend, and this thread has raised an issue if I have six to eight pilots on a table at the same time. Not enough chits in my Starter Set. A potential solution is proposed below:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSG_DamageGuide-1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	270936

    Thoughts or suggestions? Did I capture everything? This is in black and white for easy photocopying or cheap printing.

    PS: Depending on the ship used, you strike off the Structure damage before starting to match the ship. Blackbirds at 12, Cylon Raider MkI at 14, Viper MkIIs at 14, Raider MkIIs at 15, Raptors at 16, and Heavy Raiders at 20.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-02-2019 at 22:22.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  20. #20

    Default

    Well done, Mike! You may have to expand the sheet when the Heavy Cylons and Raptors appear because it may become possible to damage the FTL Drive.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Well done, Mike! You may have to expand the sheet when the Heavy Cylons and Raptors appear because it may become possible to damage the FTL Drive.
    Interesting thought. I hadn't looked at FTL damage, as the Cylon Raider has an FTL drive, but it isn't in the Special Damage possibilities. Perhaps because not all ships have it? It might be considered in the future, but I would think only if ARES releases a new chit set.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Well done, Mike! You may have to expand the sheet when the Heavy Cylons and Raptors appear because it may become possible to damage the FTL Drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Interesting thought. I hadn't looked at FTL damage, as the Cylon Raider has an FTL drive, but it isn't in the Special Damage possibilities. Perhaps because not all ships have it? It might be considered in the future, but I would think only if ARES releases a new chit set.
    And it has been posted on another thread, that FTL drives are not, currently, able to take damage:
    FTL Jumps - Post #7
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  23. #23

    Default

    Next Iteration of the Damage Tracking Sheet:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSG_DamageGuide-1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	270967

    I was going to make up separate sheets for each ship, but that would limit the use. And, on the day, I don't know who would want to fly what ships, and how many times.

    The idea is to print the Ship stats on the back top of one side, and the chit record on the bottom of the other side. Then, you fold the top half over the bottom, and write the ships stat as needed on the top. With the fold, you will have a concealed record under the stats sheet, and can mark the different damage items, and amounts, as needed, without everyone seeing what you are doing. You could even "pretend" to mark damage when drawing "0" chits (as long as you don't "pretend" when you actually have damage).

    I should be able to get two records per 8.5x11 sheet of paper, if I size these right.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSG_DamageGuide-1Sample.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	270969

    PS: And a sample of a full sheet:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSG_DamageGuide-1SampleFull.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	270970

    If you print this double-sided, and the printer lines up each sheet reasonably well, you should have the Stat Info on the top flap, and the Damage Record on the inside bottom.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-03-2019 at 22:10.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  24. #24

    Default

    Yes, the FTL Drives are currently unable to be damaged but in his reply to me Roberto di Meglio did hint that changes to the rules about FTL Drives might be coming.

  25. #25

    Default

    In the absence of extra damage chits, Mike, it looks like your tracking chart will do the trick. Perhaps you could laminate it once it's 'foldable' and then use dry-erase markers on it to keep track of damage and other details...?

    Good luck

    All the best,
    Matt

  26. #26

    Default

    Trying out the Damage Records: BSG Warm-up for PhenomaCon 2019
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  27. #27

    Default

    Just watched a video about BSG. Now I see dice come into play but still looks good. I will see in Sept at one of Teatickets games. Looking forward to that.

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Just watched a video about BSG. Now I see dice come into play but still looks good. I will see in Sept at one of Teatickets games. Looking forward to that.
    Hi Bob,

    We have tried to play the complete rules a couple of times now and we always get stuck on the second column of page 14 of the rules. It is a wise move to hold off until you see Teatickets game. If you want, you can download the rules in PDF from the Ares website and see if it makes sense to you. For myself, I am hoping Zoe can give me a light bulb moment at Wintercon.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •