Ares Games

Thread: Altitude Rules

Default Altitude Rules

I haven't played the game in a while and I plan on teaching a buddy this weekend. I forget how to do the altitude rules. I know each plane has a climb rate in the rulebook but the rules do a poor job explaining it to me. Can someone help? Thank you!

Basically when you play a climb card take one climb counter. When you have as many climb tokens as your climb rate you go up one peg of altitude.

When you play a dive card you go down one peg and end up at high speed.

If you immelman you treat the reverse card as if it were a climb card (take a climb token). Don't forget you have to enter fast and exit slow.

You can also Split S which requires you to play a stall instead of a straight before the reverse card. You treat the reverse as a dive card- lose one altitude and exist fast.
    Last edited by Woof; 06-23-2019 at 02:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Basically when you play a climb card take one climb counter. When you have as many climb tokens as your climb rate you go up one peg of altitude.

When you play a dive card you go down one peg and end up at high speed.

If you immelman you treat the reverse card as if it were a climb card (take a climb token). Don't forget you have to enter fast and exit slow.

You can also Split S which requires you to play a stall instead of a straight before the reverse card. You treat the reverse as a dive card- lose one altitude and exist fast.
    Thank you! That has always had me confused. I wish they had a quick reference guide to all this!

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    What do you mean by exit slow ? The last card of the three be it an Immelmann or a Split S is always a fast card, A long straight

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    What do you mean by exit slow ? The last card of the three be it an Immelmann or a Split S is always a fast card, A long straight
    Woof is correct.

After an Immelmann the straight coming out after the reversal is slow. (fast in - slow out)

After a Split-S the straight coming out is fast. (slow in - fast out)

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Woof is correct.

After an Immelmann the straight coming out after the reversal is slow. (fast in - slow out)

After a Split-S the straight coming out is fast. (slow in - fast out)
    Sorry.... you talking game terms here and saying that you play a stall card after the immel ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Sorry.... you talking game terms here and saying that you play a stall card after the immel ?
    Sorry for not being complete. The Immelmann maneuver should be a fast straight, Immelmann, slow straight,(slow straight, not a stall) while a Split-S maneuver is a stall, Immelmann, fast straight.

Chris, they are talking WW2, it works differently to WW1

Silly me had not noticed that relevant point, Ill retire back to my cubby hole and back to rigging ships ��
    Thanks Dave

"Stupid Game!"

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Use of altitude rules
    By Angiolillo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 07-19-2021, 00:31
  2. Altitude rules?
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 11-24-2016, 07:33
  3. WW2 ALTITUDE RULES
    By SPITFIRE ACE in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 03:59
  4. Altitude rules
    By mike_espo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 21:56
  5. new altitude rules in Rules and Accessories Pack?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 15:12