Ares Games

Thread: Battle of Midway - Preparation and execution

Default Battle of Midway - Preparation and execution

I and my hardy band of local players have undertaken to recreate our own Battle of Midway. This will require rules, miniatures, and play areas not already available, at least officially. I will provide updates to the process as it develops on this thread, for any interested in the plan, execution, or results. Wish us Luck.....

The elves have nothing on the work bench at the moment . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    I and my hardy band of local players have undertaken to recreate our own Battle of Midway. This will require rules, miniatures, and play areas not already available, at least officially. I will provide updates to the process as it develops on this thread, for any interested in the plan, execution, or results. Wish us Luck.....
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The elves have nothing on the work bench at the moment . . .
    Hmmm... Don't you have all the carriers and planes already done up in 1/200 scale, Dave?

Yeah!

Link: Project Midway
    Link: Akagi and Hiryu IJN Project Time!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Yeah, I guess I did, long ago in an ocean far away . . . had a run in with a few Hornets as I recall as well . . . hmmmm . . . must be in the attic.

The MIDWAY Project:

Objectives:
    1. Provide a high level recreation of the Midway engagement using the WGS system and components for all Air-to-Air and Air-to-Surface action.
    2. Provide a balance of forces based on the actual numbers and makeup of the opposing (air) forces while employing a manageable number of models for 5-10 players
    3. Base the results of the entire battle on the outcomes of this small representative sample of aircraft

Challenges:
    1. No torpedo planes or rules within the official published WGS universe;
    2. No surface vessel counters or rules within the official published WGS universe.
    3. No built-in way to manage the opening “search” phases of the battle which can prove critical to the outcome.

Decisions:

1. Base assortment of miniatures employed based on the following breakdown:
    Published stats (Wikipedia) Midway Game Proportion of total, avg Relative strength, Plane models (rounded)
    AKAGI T18, F19, D18 AKAGI T7, F7, D7
    KAGA T27, F18, D18 KAGA T10, F7, D7
    HIRYU T18, F18, D18 HIRYU T7, F7, D7
    SORYU T18, F18, D18+2 SORYU T7, F7, D7
    ZUIHO T12, F12 ZUIHO T4, F4
    HOSHO T8 HOSHO T3
    IJN Fighter Total: 95 IJN Fighter Total: 32 .33 5
    IJN Torpedo Total: 101 IJN Torpedo Total: 38 .39 6
    IJN Dive Total: 74 IJN Dive Total: 28 .28 4
    IJN Total: 270 IJN Total: 98 1.0 15
    ENTERPRISE T14, F27, D38 ENTERPRISE T5, F8, D12
    HORNET T15, F27, D37 HORNET T5, F9, D12
    YORKTOWN T13, F25, D37 YORKTOWN T5, F9, D12
    Midway T6, F28, D27;
    PBY 31, B26 4, B17 17
    Midway T2, F6, D6
    USN Fighter Total: 107 USN Fighter Total: 32 .35 5
    USN Torpedo Total: 48 USN Torpedo Total: 17 .18 3
    USN Dive Total: 139 USN Dive Total: 42 .46 7
    USN Total: 294 USN Total: 91 1.0 15
    USAF Total: 21
    US Total: 315
    Odds and Ends If employed, do not exceed:
    PBY 5
    B26 .6 (1)
    B17 2.6 (3)
    May substitute:
    TBD 6 1
    “Judy” .3 (1)

In summation, we would need to assemble a force of miniatures as follows:

IJN:
    Zero – five
    Val – four
    Kate – six
    Optional – substitute 1 Judy for 1 Val

USN:
    F4F – five
    SBD – seven
    TBD – three
    Optional – substitute 1 TBF (Midway) for 1 TBD (Midway)
    Optional – Add up to 5 PBY (scouting only), 1 B26 (scouting or bombing), and 3 B17 (scouting or bombing) if desired.

Miniature availability:

1. Procure and adequate number of 1/200 TBD and B5N (Kate) models. We sourced TBD models from Asian suppliers using the Trumpeter 1/200 series (box of 5) and used their supplied decals.
    B5N models were obtained from Armaments in Miniature in resin, decals from same. PBY models were obtained from Armaments in Miniature in resin, decals from same.

2. Fleet maneuver / search rules: the Avalon-Hill “Midway” game system search rules were to be applied to find the opposing fleets, arming strikes, and coordinating timing of strikes on carriers and Midway. While other systems and mods with greater fidelity were available, this was quick, simple, and available, keeping the focus on the A/A and A/S combat. Fun First.

3. Torpedo Plane Stats will be adapted from the unofficial aircraft rules published on the Wings of Glory Aerodrome (Files section).

4. Air to surface Torpedo rules will be adapted from those unofficial rules published on the Wings of Glory Aerodrome (Files section).

5. Surface “counters” would be based on those few posted from the unofficial game aids published on the Wings of Glory Aerodrome, but be expanded to include all capital ships on both sides.

6. Playing surface: Fought largely over open ocean, simple blue plastic tablecloth would be adequate for most of the playing surface, however, a representation of Midway Island itself, and its key targets, would need to be created.

The MIDWAY Project: Aircraft

ARES and its predecessor have previously published many aircraft which will fit directly into the scenario: Zeros, Vals, F4Fs, SBDs. But as we know, historically, Torpedo planes played a big role for both sides, although not always in the way intended ;-)

Unofficial stats exist for the the primary opposing force Torpedo Bombers- (Source: Wings of Glory Aerodrome; Files; House Rules; WGS unofficial Aircraft V1.0)

Aircraft Country Role Deck Guns S Guns L Rear gun Damage Ceiling Climb Base House Rules
    Nakajima B5N2 Kate JP Bomber (T) ZJ na na A/A 17 9 7 HF 1,2,3
    Douglas TBD-1 Devastator USA Bomber (T) R**(Z) A A see notes 18 7 9 HF 1,2,3

There is a significant difference in aircraft performance suggested by the two (unofficial) decks listed - I will need to research further if that is due to my (mis)understanding or it is an accurate depiction. More on that later.

On the the fun part - the miniatures

First, the ill-fated Devastators

(To Be Continued)

The source chosen for the TBD was the 1/200 Trumpeter kit, which supplies 5 aircraft of reasonably good detail, enough to fill our Midway Torpedo Squadron needs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_trumpeter-04206-tbd.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	270475

Molded in a translucent clear plastic with recessed panel lines, it lacked 3 things: A torpedo, an interior, and the distinctive corrugated outer wing panels.

To solve problem 1, I sourced a set of MK XIII torpedos from shapeways, along with seated pilot/aircrew figures for problem 2. Problem 3 I'll just learn to live with.

Name:	TBD1.jpg 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	270476

Opened Box. 5 sprues of injection molded parts, plus a small bundle of PE for the radio masts.

Name:	TBD2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	270477

Test TBD one assembled wings, fuselage, empennage. Very clean, easy, nice detail. I had already lost the canopy at this point (insert faceplam here) so I cast a replacement in resin from one of the remaining kit pieces, which will explain its yellowish cast in subsequent photos.

Name:	TBD3.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	270478

The Five assembled, awaiting primer

Name:	TBD4.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	270479

Taped down ready for spray. For another project, I obtained an inexpensive lazy susan to use as a turntable for painting models. I don't know how I lived without it before. If you spray, get one. Right Now. You won't regret it.

Name:	TBD5.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	270480

Primed in white

Name:	TBD6.jpg 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	270481

Upper surfaces painted. I used Testors Modelmaster intermediate blue enamel because I already had it available. A little dark on the balance, but will do for my needs.

Name:	TBD8.jpg 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	270482

Test TBD (note yellowish canopy) with Shapeways torpedo, modified, and AIM decals

Name:	TBD9.jpg 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	270483

Test TBD decorated as CDR Waldron's plane. Needs its radio mast, and a coat of clear flat (waiting to do the entire run at one time for that)

Name:	TBD10.jpg 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	270484

In formation with some of its mates. I think these will, on balance, work well.
    Last edited by BB401; 06-26-2019 at 08:10.

BRO, great start, but I want more, more more.

MIDWAY Project Aircraft Part 2: KATE!

The miniatures were resin casts sourced from Armaments In Miniature, along with an appropriate set of decals, also from AIM.

Name:	B5N1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	270487

I was tasked with building these up for myself and a few friends, so we bought in bulk (!) in order to have enough to meet our earlier stated desired forces, and to spare.

Name:	B5N2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	270488

Once out of the bag, some straightening had to be done to make up for the rather dreadful way the USPS handled them, but nothing that couldn't be addressed. Filing down some mold parting lines, cleaning up leading and trailing edges, and a quick detergent batch and dry got them ready for primer.

Name:	B5N3.jpg 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	270489

Everything on the bench got primed, including the two PBYs (more on them later)

Name:	B5N4.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	270490

I already had some IJN Dark green available, so in it went into the airbrush. Chrome silver on the canopies, touch up the canopy frames, black nose, and as close as I could come to the cream-grey undersides.

Name:	B5N5.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	270491

The Test Kate, with paint and decals. And the nice (once cleaned up and smoothed down) kit torpedo installed. You have an option of torpedo or bomb, both supplied.

Name:	B5N6.jpg 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	270492

Now it's just a matter of repeat, repeat, repeat until all 7 were done.

Name:	B5N7.jpg 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	270493

They are fairly basic, but paint and decal well, and will look good flying low, ready to drop the deadly Long Lance torpedoes....

Name:	B5N8.jpg 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	270494

In formation with some of their IJN mates. And one Army "Hien".

MIDWAY Project aircraft part 3: PB Why?

One of my local gamer friends has a passion for PBYs, so in anticipation for finding it a suitable role in our upcoming Midway scenario, he procured two from AIM along with their decals (for VP-44) and sent them to me for finishing.

Name:	PBY1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	270495

These are large planes, and big, chunky miniatures, with nice shape and panel lines, and are a quick, simple build. Note to self - next time, paint first, assemble second. Easier masking, much easier.

Name:	PBY2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	270496

Clean up the cast, mount the wing on the pylon, add struts. And decide if you want wingtip pylons retracted or lowered. Since these would be spending time in the air search for the Japanese fleet, we went with "up".

Name:	PBY3.jpg 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	270497

As with the others, detergent bath, dry, and prime. They dwarf even the multi-seaters.

Name:	PBY4.jpg 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	270498

Name:	PBY5.jpg 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	270499

For consistency and availability, Intermediate Blue topsides, light gull gray lower.

Name:	PBY6.jpg 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	270500

Chrome silver "glass", this time with some blue wash highlights for interest and variety.

Name:	PBY7.jpg 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	270501

Yes, history mavens, "Strawberry 5", locator of the Japanese fleet. Now to figure out how to give it a mission we can play out in the context of the game!

Nothing like batch production to keep the work progressing well. I often find one offs farslower to complete than a batch with the deadline of a game looming.
    A very good looking flight of aircraft Bob.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

MIDWAY Project: Am I Off Base?

Not at all. I have a table saw, and some lexan, and I'm not afraid to use them.

Name:	20190515_153844.jpg 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	270502

A stack of Fighter size base blanks, and a pair of Bomber size for the PBYs.

(To Be Continued)

Bob check out TOPSIDE Miniatures. Their stuff is like the Avalon Hill counters and they are not expensive. Someday I need to mount the ones I have and use them.

I just checked their site and they have a Midway set ($100.00) that has all the units (208) that were in the battle.
    Last edited by BobP; 06-26-2019 at 13:03.

This is looking great! I second Bob's Topside Minis. I use them and like them very much.

You have to come to Origins and run this!!!

"Strawberry 5" looks great Bob, look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour.

"He is wise who watches"

This all looks terrific.
    I will be following this with great interest, Bob.
    I have looked at Topside several times with the intent of getting at least some of their ships and carriers.

On a side note - whatever became of your Battle of Britain project?
    I recall I played one scenario but then work got in the way.

Similar Missions

1. THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY
    By gandalfo71 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 09:26
  2. THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY
    By gandalfo71 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 02:52
  3. Multiplayer: Midway Act 2, Brother's Charlotte NC battle over the seas of Midway
    By THECCRICH in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 11:50
  4. What happened to VF-8 after the Battle of Midway?
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 13:16
  5. The Battle of Midway
    By bsmith13 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 22:29