Ares Games

Thread: New member

Brian F

Default New member

Hello I would just like to introduce myself to the membership, My name is Brian Farmer I am a retired Ex Commander in the Royal Navy, I cut my teeth on County Class Destroyers as a young Sub-lieutenant (H.M.S. Fife & H.M.S. Kent), After an accident in Gibraltar I found myself working a desk,

I left the navy a few years later and worked as a Teacher in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire alas that was almost as bad as shore duty, I have never been married as my professions always seemed to get in the way, I bought a starter set of "Wings of War" from EBay and have subsequently bought more planes from Amazon, along with a Balloon busters expansion set second-hand yet again from EBay

I joined "The Aerodrome" some months ago but unfortunately I had a stroke which left me with severe hand tremors so I cant make & paint models anymore (an old hobby) I also suffer with short term memory loss, If I'm in the middle of something and the phone rings, that's me scuppered I won't remember what I was doing a lot of the time, as my sister puts it "I'm passed my sell by date"

I read a lot of naval books and keep up to date with the "Fleet" which now I find short of ships and the crews to sail them, Recently I've visited Portsmouth I found H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth quayside, what a magnificent pointless ship she is, would you issue a rife and the say "Due to cutbacks your bullets arrive in 3 years time" a carrier without her airwing is like the proverbial "Chocolate teapot" I'm surprised that the government don't bring back the "Seafires" that would save then a "Bob or two" that's 5 to 10 pence in new money for the younger members.

Brian

Hello Brian always good to see new blood. I would imagine you will be really helpful with carrier scenario questions.

Hi Brian, welcome from Essex
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thumbs up

G'day Brian & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    Sorry to hear of your health problems but hope it does not stop you enjoying this great game.
    Do you have a club in your area or any regular opponents?

On behalf of the Pilots based here in the U.K. welcome to the Drome Brian. We must have a chat in the Mess one of these days. My dad was in the Andrew on Carriers during the war. I guess that is why I love the WW2 convoy scenarios so much. I taught technology for most of my life after a spell in Industry, and can empathize with your remark about that stage in your career. The chap who introduced me to this game is also a Stroke victim, but after several years, and art classes as therapy he is painting again and very well too. His short term memory is also a bit crook, but steadily recovering, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    hope to have a chinwag with you at length later.
    Fly safe.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome, Brian, for down under. Thanks for sharing so much about yourself.
    I have always found members on this forum supportive and helpful, and I am sure you will too.
    I hope that you can enjoy the game with others.

Hello Brian and a very warm welcome to the 'Drome'. I can empathise with you on the short memory thing and also the painting,but mine is arthritis and failing eyesight.
    Enjoy this site and all it has to offer and remember to always watch your six!
    PS not into SAILS yet?
    Last edited by Rebel; 06-16-2019 at 01:35. Reason: Spelling correction

Hello Brian (Sir)!

Welcome from a current serving Naval Officer! I’ve only just joined the Aerodrome as only just got the game. I was introduced to it by another Matelot who at last coins has over 150 planes for this game! So looking forward to some good battles with him!

A fair wind and a following sea!

Ben

Hello Brian.

Welcome to the Aerodrome from across the pond. ENJOY!!!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Brian, from here near Norwich.

Brian F

Thank you for the warm welcome, I look forward to joining in with the group discussions

Welcome aboard Brian.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Welcome to you from here in Bristol.

Hi Brian, welcome to the 'Drome!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome from Devon Brian - a small naval connection here as my old man was skipper of a fleet mine sweeper in the Adriatic between 1943 and 45. Me I'm mainly interested in WWI flight. Hope you enjoy your time here and someone will always offer advice should you need it - just fire away, with or without ammunition! Take care now

Hi Brian, My name is Drew, welcome to the "Fun & Games" The guys are really friendly and whats more they are VERY HELPFUL, I have been given decals, replacement cards for ones that were stolen, plus the "Wing Co" made me a replacement aerial for a broken Ju 87, and it's in that spirt that I offer you a picture of HMS London D16 if you would like it please send me a PM (Private message) with your address, and I will post it to you free of charge.
    Name:  DSC01913.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  135.5 KB

welcome to the drome Brian!!!

Welcome aboard from Doncaster. Also naval connections here, my grandfather was a PO on HMS Wanderer in the war whilst my uncle (technically my mums uncle) was CPO Gunnery on The battleship HMS Rodney...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. New member
    By bobster19 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-22-2020, 22:37
  2. National: New member saying hello from DE!
    By Max Von Below in forum US Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 09:09
  3. new member
    By AlanWaller in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 15:59
  4. 2013 Origins member's tribute to 2014 member one
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 08:37