Ares Games

Thread: Complete Newby!

Smile Complete Newby!

Hi,

So I bought WoG WW1 at the expo and have had a great evening learning to play it with a mate (soft drinks and homemade pizzas with it). We both really enjoyed it.

I bought 4 planes in total:
    Fokker E.V
    Fokker Dr1
    Sopwith Camel
    Nieuport 28

I also bought one game Matt which was just right for the space we had.

So can anyone give any recommendations on what to get next of ideas of how to create a campaign/scenarios?

Thanks

Ben

Hi and welcome to the forum. There are some campaigns and scenarios in the files section here. One is called from zero to hero by omegalazarus and it looks pretty good. For new folk. You might want to get a couple of 2 seaters for the recon and bombing parts.

Have fun.

Just enjoy the fun for a while, more planes just make for more clutter, get to know the birds you have, and you do have a great selection! 2 seaters are the next step, they add a bit of depth to the game of their own. Welcome from the broiling desert of Arizona where its 43 C!

Hi Ben, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome to you, i also was at UKGE on sat and Sun helping on the Ares stand.
    Glad you enjoyed the game, any questions just shout, someone will have an answer for you.
    As for what planes, try a Sopwith Snipe to take on the Fokker Ev, also you want a couple of two seaters for missions, for Entente a Bristol or DH4 and Entente you should still be able to get a Hannover or Halberstadt CL

Thumbs up

G'day Ben & welcome to the "madness" of Wings!
    You wont be sorry you made the plunge & as the chaps have said add a couple of 2 seaters to add to the enjoyment.
    Take a look at all the scenarios down in the WW1 Campaign section in Over the Trenches. We have been running a solo Campaign for a few years now & its great fun.

Bienvenue Ben from Brittany. Definitely get a couple of 2 seaters. Rollands are nifty for the Hun and perhaps a 1 1/2 Strutter for the RFC.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Welcome to the Drome Ben, from here in sunny Devon - at least it is today The advice above is probably more than enough to keep you going for now, but be aware that occasionally other shows will come up in your area from time to time and it would be good to see you at one or more of them. Various members attend quite a number and put on participation games - you will always be welcome to join us Just watch this UK part of the forum for details. Have fun.
    Mike

Welcome to the 'Drome' Ben from up here in Sunny (for the moment) West Yorkshire. I'm sure you will find all you want to know somewhere on this site. Fly safe and always watch your six!

Welcome from Portland, Oregon, Ben.
    You're going to like it here.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Ben, from here near Norwich. There is much on this site to add to your enjoyment of the game, so feel free to explore it and ask any questions you may have. You will find the people here are very friendly and helpful.

Hi all. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Had another game last night with my friend. We went for a game where I needed to get a photo of a geographical location. First chance of a shot..... and he takes out one of my planes. Needless to say some poor movement choices from myself and just as I got the photo (with a jammed gun) and he took me down. We both enjoyed it though.

Also just ordered a strutter and a Roland!

Where do you all buy your planes from?

Hi Ben
    Welcome to the Aerodrome.

You can buy planes from the aerodrome store at the top of the page. Some other options are miniaturemarket and coolstuff inc.

Hi Ben, welcome to the 'Drome!

Several of us buy planes from "Aerodrome Accessories" in the US, run by our glorious leader Oberst Hajj.

For a UK source I recommend "Entoyment" in Bournemouth.

ebay throws up the occasional bargain, but most sellers have latched onto the rarity of out-of-production planes, and these can fetch ludicrous prices from those unwilling to wait and/or shop around.

Have a look at the "Clipper's List" thread for older out-of-production planes from the collection of Hunter, a recently fallen comrade - Dave and his elves are offering great deals on a variety of models.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hi Ben, as well as Entoyment!take a look at Zatu games, they have some items available and are quite cheap

welcome to the drome Ben!!! my best recommendation is to get any mini you can get your hands on.

Welcome aboard from Doncaster... I always find its fun to play with a pair of Bristols

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Welcome aboard from Doncaster... I always find its fun to play with a pair of Bristols

Welcome Ben there's lots of information scattered around on here, the files section has scenarios and campaigns. As Gully Raker said there are scenarios and game reports in OTT section of the WGF Campaigns board. You can still download the original rules for Wings of War and they have quite a few scenarios as well.

Planes are harder, try Green Knight Games, Games Quest, Games Lore all UK companies, planes are cheaper in the US, Miniature Market being good and postal rates from them are good, you will probably have to pay tax and a post office collection cost flat rate £8:00 I believe, I've bought 3 times from them and had to pay twice but not the 1st time!
    Theres a very nice chap in Australia, I'm afraid I can't remember his name but he advertises on Ebay but is a member of this forum and used to give a discount to members, I've bought from him once and he had a lot of hard to get planes. I contacted him here and ordered direct.
    Look at Clippers list in the for sale section lots of planes last time i looked, i bought 8 planes and postage was $20-24 can't remember exactly.
    As already said the Aerodrome store is a good source, especially for the new planes that are coming.

Entoyment has been mentioned twice, I've searched their site a few times and only come up with mats and accessories, never any planes, I must be looking in the wrong place, if you find anything can you send me a link, I'm due to go near there in a couple of weeks time and could call in if they have anything interesting.

Shapeways do a lot of 3d printed planes, Teaticket has a list somewhere, they need prepping and painting and cards printing, Valom do kits, love em or hate em they are a useful source of planes as well.

Good luck with the search, it does become a bit addictive.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Welcome Ben there's lots of information scattered around on here, the files section has scenarios and campaigns. As Gully Raker said there are scenarios and game reports in OTT section of the WGF Campaigns board. You can still download the original rules for Wings of War and they have quite a few scenarios as well.

Planes are harder, try Green Knight Games, Games Quest, Games Lore all UK companies, planes are cheaper in the US, Miniature Market being good and postal rates from them are good, you will probably have to pay tax and a post office collection cost flat rate £8:00 I believe, I've bought 3 times from them and had to pay twice but not the 1st time!
    Theres a very nice chap in Australia, I'm afraid I can't remember his name but he advertises on Ebay but is a member of this forum and used to give a discount to members, I've bought from him once and he had a lot of hard to get planes. I contacted him here and ordered direct.
    Look at Clippers list in the for sale section lots of planes last time i looked, i bought 8 planes and postage was $20-24 can't remember exactly.
    As already said the Aerodrome store is a good source, especially for the new planes that are coming.

Entoyment has been mentioned twice, I've searched their site a few times and only come up with mats and accessories, never any planes, I must be looking in the wrong place, if you find anything can you send me a link, I'm due to go near there in a couple of weeks time and could call in if they have anything interesting.

Shapeways do a lot of 3d printed planes, Teaticket has a list somewhere, they need prepping and painting and cards printing, Valom do kits, love em or hate em they are a useful source of planes as well.

Good luck with the search, it does become a bit addictive.
    Cheers
    https://entoyment.co.uk/wings-of-glory-ww1

Quote Originally Posted by Benjymo View Post
    Thanks for this, I've always put Wings of Glory in the search and it doesnt give me the planes.

Excellent I can spend more money now.

Similar Missions

1. National: Newby
    By Cpl Cando in forum US Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 10:19
  2. WGF Complete DH 4 set.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 02:55