Ares Games

Thread: Report Back from Enfilade 2019

Default Report Back from Enfilade 2019

This is late, but it comes from an individual not part of the Forum.

Link: Enfilade 2019

Nikolas, a fellow gamer here in the Comox Valley hosted a Wings of Glory game at Enfilade 2019. It was an Italian winter bombing scenario, for all comers, newbies and experienced players.

Some of the shots of the action:

Name:  IMG_2725.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2726.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2727.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2728.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2730.jpg
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2731.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  86.4 KB

I didn't get any names of the actual pilots for specific planes, but some of the players are mutual acquaintences with Nikolas. Nikolas was a big mover and shaker in Vancouver, helping with or even organizing Trumpeters Salut in the past. So, he knew quite a few of the people at Enfilade from his involvement there.

Some of the action: A husband and wife team took two two-seaters across the table, chewing up many planes with their combined fire; A young lad, in his first game ever, took the Caproni Ca.3, flying it straight across the table and exactly hitting the target. He crashed and burned shortly afterward, but respawned. He was completely stoked about the game; Not a surprise, but the veteran players on the Central Powers side mercilessly focused all their shooting on the bomber, but the bomber's damage draws allowed him to make it to the target, nonetheless.

Interesting Notes on the Scenario Adaptations:
    1. Nikolas ran a few interesting twists to the game, in that he added weather effects. This included wind gusts that would restrict turns, or speed, and ability to shoot (more specifics as I extract them from Nikolas).
    2. Nikolas used damage recording chits for each plane, as he didn't have enough damage decks for the number of planes on the table. This kept all the special damage in play, as players would end a shooting phase, record the damage on provided sheets, and return all the cards for a reshuffle. This way, multiple pilot wounds and smoke/fire damage were very possible, even with slightly damaged planes still on the table.
    3. Nikolas didn't use Ace Skill cards for each pilot. He gave each player an Attack Bonus card and two Defence Bonus cards for the game. If someone respawned, they only got one each. Each card was 'Use and Discard', so they had three bonuses throughout the game, using them at their option. Bonuses:
    Attack:
    1. "Long Burst", which added an extra card of damage to a shot, whatever the range. There was a (gasp!) die-roll to see if the gun jammed (on a 1, so 1/6th chance).
    2. The other was for a +1 damage to a shot, for each card at any range, even '0'.
    Defense:
    When Nikolas sends me the electronic versions of his cards, I'll put these up. These were mostly like existing Ace Skills, but just one use. I remember he had a "Crazy Pilot", which allowed a player to plan any maneuver sequence without restriction (any restriction! So, turn, Immelmann, stall).

I really like the above idea, as it takes out a lot of record keeping and memory. I think I will be using something like this for my BSG game at PhenomaCon in Victoria in July.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks for the report Mike and the insight into the special rules. I think there is a lot of mileage there for all the games in our stable.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Sounds like a great time was had by all. It is something how people come up with different ideas to add to the game.

Update on the skills mentioned above:

Attack Cards (One per player at the start of the game):
    Dead On Aim: This phase all damage from one pilot/crew count as +1. Discard after use
    Long Burst: This phase add +1 extra damage card from one pilot/crew. Roll a die; on a 1 guns are Jammed Discard after use

Name:  LongBurstCard.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  123.2 KB

Defense Cards (Two per player at the start of the game):
    Damp Canvas: Ignore the first Smoke or Fire special damage effect. Discard after use (Special F.O. Kyte card?)
    Hard Materials: Ignore the first Rudder or Engine special damage effect. Discard after use
    Lucky: Discard one damage card that was received this phase. Discard after use
    Mad Flyer: This turn may plan any combination of maneuver cards Draw one B damage card (ignore any special damage). Discard after useSelected Ammo: Ignore the first Jammed special damage effect. Discard after use
    Shrug It Off: Ignore a pilot or crew wound special damage effect. Discard after use

Name:  MadFlyerCard.jpg
Size:  118.0 KB

Special "Winter" rule for the Enfilade Convention Theme:
    Frozen Canvas, Winter Effects: Start of Turn roll 1d6, on a 1 roll again:
    1 = May not plan an Immelmann or Split-S; 2-4 = Must plan a Left or Right (Turns can only be in one direction this round, player's choice); 5-6 = Must plan a Stall.

Concept and text by Nikolas.
    Mike

Mikewill

At this event specifically, and other events generally, what altitude rules are played?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewill View Post
    At this event specifically, and other events generally, what altitude rules are played?
    Altitude use is up to the game host, usually. In Nikolas' game, altitude wasn't used. There are a few game hosts at Enfilade that have special stands with metal rods that allow planes to reach their full altitude limits, but I haven't played in their games.

This post on the 2014 Enfilade game "Battle of Riga" shows the stands used: Gentlemen, MAN YOUR PLANES! - NHMGS Enfilade 2014 Convention Announcement! - Post #29

PS: I looked at the post, again, and I am in one of the pictures from that game. So, I must have played at least once. I was looking to see if I could find out who's stands were being used, as I seem to recall there were some for sale. One of the Washington members might know, as I don't remember that far back clearly.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-07-2019 at 19:37.
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Washington: Enfilade 2013 AAR
    By OldGuy59 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 16:36
  2. Enfilade 2013
    By BobRoberts in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 22:14
  3. 1/144 Finds at Enfilade
    By pflanzer in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2