Ares Games

Thread: Ernie Pyle on D-Day

Default Ernie Pyle on D-Day

I saw this interesting article on Ernie Pyle and D-Day which I thought I'd share. Some interesting photos too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/m...=pocket-newtab

And in a related story -- here's an interesting article on how movies shape our collective memory of historical events:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/o...pgtype=Article

Fantastic article. At university of Dayton one of my history professors, Dr. King, was Ernie Pyle's jeep driver in Europe. I would visit his office to hear him tell stories about Ernie Pyle. He requested a transfer to the Pacific to continue on as his jeep driver. He was lucky that Ernie told him he had fought his war and that he should go home.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Great stories and information. A great movie is The Story OF GI Joe. Ernie Pyle in Italy and shows what that area was like.

Excellent pair of links, Bill. Bit of the history of...history.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post
    Fantastic article. At university of Dayton one of my history professors, Dr. King, was Ernie Pyle's jeep driver in Europe. I would visit his office to hear him tell stories about Ernie Pyle. He requested a transfer to the Pacific to continue on as his jeep driver. He was lucky that Ernie told him he had fought his war and that he should go home.
    Well that's really cool! Love to hear the stories sometime.
    B.

Those are good articles, Bill. Thank you for posting the links.

Thumbs up

Another top article Bill.
    Many thanks.