Ares Games

Thread: D-Day: FDR and Churchill's "Mighty Endeavor"

Default D-Day: FDR and Churchill's "Mighty Endeavor"

I spent the 75th anniversary of D-Day at the FDR Presidential Library, Museum and Home (a National Park property) not far from where I live. They had a special exhibit called "D-Day: FDR and Churchill's 'Mighty Endeavor' " after the line from FDR's prayer to the nation on June 6, 1944. The Presidential Library was America's first and the only one that a sitting president governed from when not in Washington D.C. Churchill met with FDR here a number of times as did H.M. King George VI and his wife Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen Mother). Here are some photos from the day.
    The FDR - Churchill partnership is featured in several places at the park:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D Day FDR 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	268833

Name:	D Day FDR 2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	268834

Many other exhibits are on display in the Library and Museum. Here is the entrance to the special D Day exhibit:

Name:	D Day FDR 4.jpg 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	268835

Beside many iconic photos (such as this one), many artifacts were on display as well.

Name:	D Day FDR 5.jpg 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	268836

Among the artifacts on display was this encryption machine used to code and decode messages between FDR and Churchill:

Name:	D Day FDR 6.jpg 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	268841

Also on display were many letters and communications regarding D-Day planning and execution. Here are two examples a letter from King George to FDR and a letter from FDR to Churchill:

Name:	D Day FDR 7.jpg 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	268845

Name:	D Day FDR 8.jpg 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	268846

Among the documents on display was a wall with the dispatches from SHAEF HQ to FDR chronicling the progress of the day (here are two of them) and a map from the map room showing troop dispositions in the landing area (both marked "top Secret" and "eyes only"):

Name:	D Day FDR 16.jpg 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	268847

Name:	D Day FDR 13.jpg 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	268848

In addition to the documents, posters from the period were on display such as this one (one of the things I learned yesterday was that the U.K. provided 80% of the ships used on June 6):

Name:	D Day FDR 9.jpg 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	268849

Wall sized photos were everywhere. Here are a few -- a prayer service on June 5, newspaper coverage of the invasion, U.S. forces and British Commandos storming ashore on June 6, wounded U.S. soldiers waiting on the beach for evacuation, and the awful price the French paid in the landing (an estimated 13,000-20,000 civilians were killed in the shelling, bombing and ground fighting):

Name:	D Day FDR 10.jpg 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	268850

Name:	D Day FDR 12.jpg 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	268851

Name:	D Day FDR 11.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	268852

Name:	D Day FDR 17.jpg 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	268853

Name:	D DAy FDR 18.jpg 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	268856

Name:	D Day FDR 19.jpg 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	268857

A very good film made of newsreels from the time called "Forged in Fire' was shown as part of the exhibit as well. One of the points it made was that FDR did not live to see the conclusion of the campaign against Germany. Here is a photo from the exhibit of Winston Churchill visiting FDR's grave at the Presidential Library (Eleanor Roosevelt can be seen standing to his right). Eleanor, too is buried at this site -- here is a photo I took yesterday of their graves (Eleanor in the foreground, FDR is nearer the tombstone with the flag on it. Behind the tombstone at a distance is the grave of Fala, the Roosevelt's famous black Scots Terrier):

Name:	D Day FDR 14.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	268863

Name:	D Day FDR 3.jpg 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	268864

The day concluded in the visitor's center with two talks -- one by a National Park Service historian about national memory and the changing image of D Day over the years. It was quite interesting to consider that the U.S. perspective on D Day may not be the same as that of the U.K., France, the Soviet Union, and certainly Germany. The major point being that the national memory of the event shapes the individual's perception of the event in history:

Name:	D Day FDR 15.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	268865

The other was an author talk and book signing regarding his book "Advocating Overlord" about the planning disputes and final agreement on the Normandy invasion;

Name:	D Day FDR 20.jpg 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	268866

Short of actually going to Normandy, I felt it was the best I could do to honor those brave people who risked so much on June 6, 1944.
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 06-07-2019 at 11:25.

Really interesting, Bill.

Thanks for sharing.

Super photos - many thanks for posting them.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

Very intersting! Thanks for sharing your visit.

It looks like a good place to visit, Bill.

Great stuff Bill. Deborah and I just have to get out there.

Peter -- The D-Day exhibit is on until just after the New Year. If you and Deb come down, I'd be happy to be your tour guide. The FDR National Park, The Vanderbilt Mansion National Park, the Ogden Mills Mansion State Park (Staatsburg), and the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome are all within about 30 minutes driving time of each other.
    B.

Thanks for posting this Bill. It looks a very interesting exhibition.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thumbs up

Great pics & info Bill!

Rep on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Peter -- The D-Day exhibit is on until just after the New Year. If you and Deb come down, I'd be happy to be your tour guide. The FDR National Park, The Vanderbilt Mansion National Park, the Ogden Mills Mansion State Park (Staatsburg), and the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome are all within about 30 minutes driving time of each other.
    B.
    We will definitely take you up on this kind offer. After Origins Deborah and I will have to figure out when we can come out and coordinate with your schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great pics & info Bill!

Rep on its way.
    Thank you!
    B.

[QUOTE=Teaticket;504398]We will definitely take you up on this kind offer. After Origins Deborah and I will have to figure out when we can come out and coordinate with your schedule.[/QUOTE

Sounds good! I am a man of leisure until the last week of August when the new semester begins...but I will still have non-teaching days during the week then as well. My daughter leaves for grad school in the UK during the first week in September, so that will be a busy week. BTW -- I forgot to mention right in the geographic middle of all these historic places to visit is the Culinary Institute of America with the highest concentration of Master Chefs and Master Bakers in North America -- the restaurants there are fabulous! (but a bit pricey).
    Also, about 45 minutes south is the United States Military Academy at West Point where you could spend a whole day alone (very cool military museum among other really interesting things).
    B.
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 06-08-2019 at 09:57.

Similar Missions

1. "Salute" 22-04-2017 Game #2 - "Battle of Britain"
    By Flying Helmut in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-17-2017, 21:51
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 07:12
  3. National Derby 29th: "Where's my wingman?" "Taking pictures Sir"
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 06:33
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39