Ares Games

Thread: Movies this week

Default Movies this week

With the 75th Anniversary of D-Day this week I was thinking of what movies would be on this week. For sure numbers 1,2 & 3 are
    The Longest Day
    Saving Pvt Ryan
    Band of Brothers
    These are D-Day related so I am sure they will on TV along with a few documentaries which I see are starting today. I was just wondering the thoughts of others on what will be shown ?

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    With the 75th Anniversary of D-Day this week I was thinking of what movies would be on this week. For sure numbers 1,2 & 3 are
    The Longest Day
    Saving Pvt Ryan
    Band of Brothers
    These are D-Day related so I am sure they will on TV along with a few documentaries which I see are starting today. I was just wondering the thoughts of others on what will be shown ?
    Hi Bob,
    Earlier in the day I dug out my Band of Brothers DVDs for viewing . I live not far from the FDR Presidential Library and Museum -- they have a special exhibit opening Thursday on FDR, Churchill, and the D Day landings. I plan to go over Thursday morning to get an early bird look at the exhibit.
    Bill

Let us not forget we are also in the days of Battle of Midway and Dutch Harbor, both in early June 1942.

In addition to he ones above there are:

D-Day the Sixth of June;
    Ike:Countdown to D-Day;
    Overlord;
    Breakthrough;
    Screaming Eagles;
    36 Hours;
    Hell in Normandy;
    D-Day 6.6.44;
    and part of The Big Red One.

That's right Midway is today.
    Last edited by BobP; 06-04-2019 at 13:53.

There is a movie called My Way which is worth seeing too. It is about a Korean guy called Kim Jung-Shik who fought in the Japanese army before being captured by the Russians and fighting for them in the Russian army. He then gets captured by the Germans and ends up in the German army and is captured yet again by Americans in the D Day landings. Not all about D Day but interesting.

I think I have heard of that movie or may have seen it on YouTube. Have to check into that. I remember seeing that movie at the HMGS con when the Belle & The Blade shows it.
    Last edited by BobP; 06-04-2019 at 17:29.

Looked ahead for tomorrow and saw
    The Longest Day
    Saving Pvt Ryan
    Breakthrough
    Screaming Eagles and a few others. Then I saw that Dunkirk will be on TCM in the afternoon but not the Dunkirk I thought. It is a 1958 movie. I remember it but haven't seen in in many years.

Watched a movie today, Fighter Squadron, and it was something to see all the P-47's in the movie. Now I am used to seeing M-24's, M-41's and M-48's used as German tanks. In this movie when the P-47's ran into German fighters they were P-51's.

Similar Missions

1. General WWI in the Movies
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-13-2017, 04:48
  2. Movies
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 12:29
  3. MOVIES
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13