Ares Games

Thread: In Memoriam.

Default In Memoriam.

As Editors often do, I was glancing back through older posts this evening and happened on the last edition of the "Snipers' Times" languishing at the bottom of page three after only six months. How soon we forget.

Requiescet in pace.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Blimey... has it been six months since we finished

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Blimey... has it been six months since we finished
    Bet you haven't even got the ink off your fingers yet Chris.
    Rob.

You could always revive it in September for the Second World War.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    You could always revive it in September for the Second World War.
    Great idea but what a mammoth task .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

The pen is mightier than the sword
    Swmbo always rolls 20, critical hit, double damage.
    I'm too slow to duck anymore.
    So my penwriter will stay firmly in the drawer.
    I value my preferable and unmentionables than dare the scourge and wrath of my nearest and dearest again.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Do not feel bad about your decision, Neil. You, Chris and Rob put in a mammoth effort. Let someone else cover W.W.2.

I agree!
    Rob.

News Extra.

Never say never!

Fresh in from our special correspondent Squadron Leader Skafloc at the front in Gallipoli.

6 VC's before Breakfast

Not wanting to detract from ANZAC Day yesterday I would like to remember the 1000 men of the Lancashire Fusiliers who landed at 4am on the 25th, W Beach, Cape Helles.

of the 1,000 men who landed 600 were casualties but they had advanced far enough to deny the high ground to the Ottomans.

Of the 29th Division that conducted the landings at Cape Helles 2 of the 3 brigades landed were lost. (S, V, W, X and Y beaches).

For their exploits 6 VC's were awarded to the Fusiliers, 6 more to the mainly naval contingent on V Beach and 3 more the day after.

Neil

I have recounted before but I will do so again.

When attached to 5RRF (TA) as an permanent staff instructor I had the honour of commanding the firing party for Armistice Day twice.

On the 2nd I was fortunate to have a long conversation with a survivor of Gallipoli. At the age of 14 he convinced his father, then a CSM in the Manchesters, to allow him to join the TA by lying about his age. He landed at Gallipoli at the age of 16. Both he and his father survived not only the horrors of Gallipoli but WW1 too. He complained that he was two weeks to young for the start of WW2 but was badly injured at Dunkirk taking machine gun bullets through both legs. He sat out the rest of the war. He stated he was upset that he couldn't rejoin his unit.

I asked him hadn't he done enough already!

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. 15th September. In Memoriam.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-16-2015, 06:24
  2. IN Memoriam.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 04:38