Ares Games

Thread: Name That Plane

Question Name That Plane

Name that plane! Extra credit if you can name where I snapped the photo!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190511_100301172_HDR.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	268555

P-39 Airacobra. No idea where you took the photo of it. (Can't see the exhaust to tell if it could be a P-400)

I quick image search says the photo was used for a recruiting poster "one of the photographs used for a recruiting poster: "26 Jobs For Air Force Men - Aircraft Armorers.""

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Now you can see where the term "the whole 9 yards" comes from.
    Last edited by BobP; 05-29-2019 at 17:11.

p-39 aircobra. wild guess as to where, tonopah aerial gunner range.

Dennis
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

P-39 Aircobra

We have a winner! The P-39 Airacobra in the photo is indeed named Dennis!

Tough pull on where I found the photo, but I thought the big blue and red meatball in the corner might give it away.

This photo was taken at Dulles airport, at the terminal where WW2, Korea and Vietnam vets arrive from all over the country to see the war memorials in Washington DC. These men and a few women fly in very early. (The day the photo was taken the vets flew in from Des Moines and arrived in DC around 10am.) They're greeted by a couple of hundred locals who form a human tunnel to shake hands and clap, say "thank you", a few salute, girl scouts give out flags. This particular day there were Marine Lieutenants and a group of Naval Academy Midshipmen in their dress-whites. The vets piled onto charter buses for the trip into the city, they're finished and back home that evening before midnight.

This is a first time visit for many of these vets, and their entire trip is paid for by non-profit fundraisers. One more way volunteers make a difference.

This particular crowd had quite a mix of vets, including a woman from the US Army Women's Air Corp that flew bombers into theater during World War 2. She was still quite spry considering her age. When I shook her hand I pointed over my shoulder at the photo of the P-39 and asked her if she could fly one. Her answer -- "you got one?"

Interesting place to volunteer.

Similar Missions

1. Plane ID
    By grumpybear in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 06:14
  2. Not A Plane, But...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 14:48
  3. New plane at the MAM
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-25-2014, 15:00
  4. What is the most you will pay for a WOW Plane?
    By afilter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 16:17
  5. new plane's
    By RonaldRS in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 04:02